CHIPS IN THE HOUSE!! ARRGGHHH!!!

Options
My in-laws are in town this week - they have the WORST eating habits. Normally I resist snacking on junk because I don't buy it, but right now my pantry is full of chips, etc. SO hard to resist as I sit here :(

My vent for the day!

Replies

• janiecorona
    Options
    I live with my parents and right now, there are three family size bag of Doritos in the living room! Talk about temptation but I have resisted! Stay strong! (:
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! my SO always buys bad/junk food. I'm like "Stop buying my favorite 500,000,000 calorie foods!!!!" lol. You eat 1/2 a cup of ruffles and BAM. 300 calories. It's just not worth it.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, they're my "red light" food too. Good luck resisting the temptation!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    try buying tortilla chips just watch the salt and fat content on the ones you buy and take some and put it in a bowl that way you won't binge on a whole bag, then if you like salsa measure out like 1/4 cup and eat that when everyone is snacking on them. That way you quench your craving, but don't end up binging becasue you measured it out.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a chip fanatic - he gets all the big bags from Costco - UGH Or the variety bags from other stores. Not fair. I used to be a chip fanatic too. Birds of a feather flock together right - well I eased out of my chip habit by buying "heathier" chip options like Garden of Eatin' blue chips (tortilla chips) and Pop Chips. I even convinced my hubby to convert to those 2 types of chips. Then the frequency of buying chips lessened. Now when we have chips in the house lets say for a BBQ or family gathering I can completely resist. Chips no longer tempt me!!! You can do it!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    What about having a cabinet that is designated for their snacks/food/etc?

That way you know where the "naughty" stuff is but you don't have to see it every time you have to get in the pantry :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dumb uber skinny 20-year old undergrad that is sitting next time me gets chips from the vending machine every afternoon. I have to sit here and listen to him crunch.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dumb uber skinny 20-year old undergrad that is sitting next time me gets chips from the vending machine every afternoon. I have to sit here and listen to him crunch.

bring some celery and/or carrots with you and wait til he is done with his chips and then crunch away yourself ;)
  • cjcarson87
    Options
    kettle brand baked chips are a god sent. 20 crunchy kettle chips for 120 calories....you will be amazed at how good and satisfying they can be without feeling guilty.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! my SO always buys bad/junk food. I'm like "Stop buying my favorite 500,000,000 calorie foods!!!!" lol. You eat 1/2 a cup of ruffles and BAM. 300 calories. It's just not worth it.

My husband does that too. There were chips in my house, but I ate them. :P It did take me over a month to eat them.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    My brother just moved back in a few days ago and he's a huge junk food eater( and still skinny as a toothpick) so i had to buy quite a bit of junk food that i don't normally buy but i am quite happy with myself in that I have not ate a single bite of any of it!!
  • regina_mundi
    Options
    My sympathies. I can eat an entire 5-oz. bag of kettle-cooked potato chips. . . and pass out from the grease.

Stay strong!
  • katieannd
    katieannd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I want them SO bad but have managed to stay strong so far! They leave tomorrow and as soon as they do I am getting rid of all the junk. It doesn't help that I took today off from work so I feel the urge to eat out of pure boredom!
  • AllieB
    AllieB Posts: 73
    Options
    try buying tortilla chips just watch the salt and fat content on the ones you buy and take some and put it in a bowl that way you won't binge on a whole bag, then if you like salsa measure out like 1/4 cup and eat that when everyone is snacking on them. That way you quench your craving, but don't end up binging becasue you measured it out.

There is whole wheat tortilla chips that are delicious!
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can't stay away from Chips. I tried. I just CANNOT. It's my guilty pleasure. If I try to resist it just gets worst and I end up buying a bag of nasty Lay's and eat the whole bag.
    So instead I try having "better options" at home, but still in the good chips department.

-Mild green MOJO chips from Late July: they are multigrain. They are crispy. And they are so spicy after the 13 chips portion I just cannot take another bite. They are absolutely delicious. And way better for my health than Doritos).

-Terra Blue potato chips: I don't know what it is about those chips but I cannot eat a whole bag. But they are delicious. Half a bowl and I'm full...They are not healthy, they're still chips, but I feel full way faster with those than with a bowl of Lays.

-Kettle brand 40% less fat chips: they really are delicious.