Strength training for lean muscle

Options
Strong and Fit

Lifting weights. For many, it brings visions of bulky bodybuilders huffing and puffing as they lift huge dumbbells. But strength training is so much more than that, and has multiple benefits that can improve your quality of life—and even prolong it.

First off, lifting weights isn’t just for men. More and more women are finding their way into free-weight areas at their local gym, and that’s a good thing according to Lori Incledon, author of the just-released “Strength Training for Women.”

“I got into lifting free weights in college at a time when women didn’t go into the weight room because they were intimidated,” says Incledon. “I just really liked it and, over the years, have discovered all of the wonderful benefits from it.”

So what are the benefits? Incledon notes the following:

Increased strength. Lifting weights makes you stronger, so you will have more energy and strength to perform daily tasks such as lifting a heavy box or picking up your kids.

Weight loss. The more you strength train, the more your muscles grow and the more your resting metabolic rate increases, which means you’re burning more calories. Translation: you will lose weight. Another plus? As your muscles get stronger and your fat decreases, you will get a more sculpted and shapely look.

Increased bone density. Most common in post-menopausal women, osteoporosis—a serious health threat to women where bone density decreases—can be avoided or delayed through strength training. How? As you strength train, you build up your muscles and, as studies have shown, the more healthy weight you load on your bones, the stronger they get.

Now that you’ve heard about the benefits, it’s time to get started on a strength-training plan. Incledon recommends taking the following steps:

1. Start by checking in with your doctor and getting a physical to make sure that it’s okay to begin an exercise program.

2. Hire a personal trainer to help you design a program. Incledon notes the importance of asking a potential trainer about their qualifications and credentials. She also recommends talking to the trainer about your personal goals and what their philosophy is to help you get there. Hopefully, you’ll find a trainer that matches your philosophy.

3. Educate yourself by reading magazines and books about weight training (such ase Incledon’s “Strength Training for Women” from Human Kinetics, www.hkusa.com). It helps to have a basic understanding before starting a program.

4. Be patient. You might not see results right away, but inside, your body will be experiencing results immediately.

Have fun with your strength training. It will make you stronger, healthier and happier. What more could you ask for?

Rebecca Heaton is a sports and fitness writer and editor of the Rocky Mountain Sports magazine based in Colorado. She also contributes to a number of regional sports and fitness publications around the country.

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Strong and Fit

Lifting weights. For many, it brings visions of bulky bodybuilders huffing and puffing as they lift huge dumbbells. But strength training is so much more than that, and has multiple benefits that can improve your quality of life—and even prolong it.

First off, lifting weights isn’t just for men. More and more women are finding their way into free-weight areas at their local gym, and that’s a good thing according to Lori Incledon, author of the just-released “Strength Training for Women.”

“I got into lifting free weights in college at a time when women didn’t go into the weight room because they were intimidated,” says Incledon. “I just really liked it and, over the years, have discovered all of the wonderful benefits from it.”

So what are the benefits? Incledon notes the following:

Increased strength. Lifting weights makes you stronger, so you will have more energy and strength to perform daily tasks such as lifting a heavy box or picking up your kids.

Weight loss. The more you strength train, the more your muscles grow and the more your resting metabolic rate increases, which means you’re burning more calories. Translation: you will lose weight. Another plus? As your muscles get stronger and your fat decreases, you will get a more sculpted and shapely look.

Increased bone density. Most common in post-menopausal women, osteoporosis—a serious health threat to women where bone density decreases—can be avoided or delayed through strength training. How? As you strength train, you build up your muscles and, as studies have shown, the more healthy weight you load on your bones, the stronger they get.

Now that you’ve heard about the benefits, it’s time to get started on a strength-training plan. Incledon recommends taking the following steps:

1. Start by checking in with your doctor and getting a physical to make sure that it’s okay to begin an exercise program.

2. Hire a personal trainer to help you design a program. Incledon notes the importance of asking a potential trainer about their qualifications and credentials. She also recommends talking to the trainer about your personal goals and what their philosophy is to help you get there. Hopefully, you’ll find a trainer that matches your philosophy.

3. Educate yourself by reading magazines and books about weight training (such ase Incledon’s “Strength Training for Women” from Human Kinetics, www.hkusa.com). It helps to have a basic understanding before starting a program.

4. Be patient. You might not see results right away, but inside, your body will be experiencing results immediately.

Have fun with your strength training. It will make you stronger, healthier and happier. What more could you ask for?

Rebecca Heaton is a sports and fitness writer and editor of the Rocky Mountain Sports magazine based in Colorado. She also contributes to a number of regional sports and fitness publications around the country.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Great info!! Thanks for sharing! :wink:
  • Destined
    Destined Posts: 116
    Options
    I am signing up to the gym on Monday.. Thanks fitness Chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Other benefits:

:flowerforyou: It's healthier to lose body fat while gaining muscle. Most diets make you lose muscle as well as fat, which sends the metabolism into a downward spiral that it can be hard to recover from.

:flowerforyou: Muscle makes you feel thinner. You may not be as "fat" as you think you are -- you may just have "flabby" muscle.

:flowerforyou: Muscle takes up less space when it's fit and strong. You will lose not only body fat, but several sizes in clothing if you strength train.

:flowerforyou: You may not look like a body builder, but strength training will change the shape of your body in ways you never thought possible!

:flowerforyou: It makes you look and feel younger.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Thanks, great article!

I can't afford the gym or a trainer right now, does anybody have some basic moves to get started. I have 2 three pound dumbbells and 1 10 lb dumbbells. I do the arm curls (with arms straight out and in to my shoulders), bicep curls? (with elbows by my sides and bring hand to my shoulder with the dumbbell and arms out facing downward and bring dumbbells to my armpit with my 10 lb dumbbell. Are these good, what else?

I would really appreciate any comments or ideas. Thanks!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a trainer either. I started with a Denise Austin and Kathy Smith. There are some good guides at bodybuilding.com based on body type.
    Thanks, great article!

I can't afford the gym or a trainer right now, does anybody have some basic moves to get started. I have 2 three pound dumbbells and 1 10 lb dumbbells. I do the arm curls (with arms straight out and in to my shoulders), bicep curls? (with elbows by my sides and bring hand to my shoulder with the dumbbell and arms out facing downward and bring dumbbells to my armpit with my 10 lb dumbbell. Are these good, what else?

I would really appreciate any comments or ideas. Thanks!
  • cherapple
    Options
    I highly recommend videos. That's how I got started. They will teach you lots of different moves, with proper form, and give you a well-rounded program so that you work all your muscle groups. I like Cathe.com (from experience) and the Beachbody workouts (from word-of-mouth), but they are not cheap. Try collagevideo.com, where you can search on beginner strength training videos (and all types of workout videos) and probably find several for $15-20 each.

In the beginning, that was my reward to myself. For every month that I continued with regular exercise, I allowed myself to purchase one new video. The benefits to working out at home are:

-- You don't have to pay for gas to get anywhere
    -- It also saves time when you don't have to go anywhere
    -- You don't need a lot of fancy or expensive workout clothes because no one will see what you're wearing
    -- You can buy videos as you can afford them, and you're not locked into paying a monthly membership fee
    -- You can buy a set of free weights when they are on sale, a few at a time, as you can afford them and as you feel ready for heavier weights. You really don't need a lot of fancy equipment! :happy:
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, I will look into the videos. Appreciated!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, I will look into the videos. Appreciated!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend videos. That's how I got started. They will teach you lots of different moves, with proper form, and give you a well-rounded program so that you work all your muscle groups. I like Cathe.com (from experience) and the Beachbody workouts (from word-of-mouth), but they are not cheap. Try collagevideo.com, where you can search on beginner strength training videos (and all types of workout videos) and probably find several for $15-20 each.

In the beginning, that was my reward to myself. For every month that I continued with regular exercise, I allowed myself to purchase one new video. The benefits to working out at home are:

-- You don't need a lot of fancy or expensive workout clothes because no one will see what you're wearing
    -- You can buy videos as you can afford them, and you're not locked into paying a monthly membership fee
    -- You can buy a set of free weights when they are on sale, a few at a time, as you can afford them and as you feel ready for heavier weights. You really don't need a lot of fancy equipment! :happy:

This is so true! I use and sell the Beachbody products and I am currently doing Chalean Extreme. LADIES, WEIGHTS DO NOT = BULK!!! Lean muscle burns more calories at rest then fat. You also continue to burn fat for hours after a strengh training workout unlike cardio where you just burn the calories during the time of activity.

Cheryl posted excellent points of at-home DVDs vs. gym membership. Also, another point--no lugging clothes and shower supplies to the gym. You don't even have to look cute if you're working out at home! Who cares if your hair is dirty or you are wearing your pjs!! A lot of people think videos are so expensive but really, if you get a well-rounded program it can last you for months before you get bored. The Beachbody programs are a little more costly, but they add up to only about 3-5 months of gym membership and last forever!

Thanks Cheryl for the good info!
  • anabellebf
    Options
    Erin, you beat me at recommending CLX!

But I second the recommendation - and you can do it with bands, so you don't have to invest in expensive sets of dumbells or selectechs. I'm doing it with bands and I'm getting my butt kicked every time!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I am signing up to the gym on Monday.. Thanks fitness Chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bigsmile: you will LOVE IT!:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Great info!! Thanks for sharing! :wink:
    :wink: :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Other benefits:

:flowerforyou: It's healthier to lose body fat while gaining muscle. Most diets make you lose muscle as well as fat, which sends the metabolism into a downward spiral that it can be hard to recover from.

:flowerforyou: Muscle makes you feel thinner. You may not be as "fat" as you think you are -- you may just have "flabby" muscle.

:flowerforyou: Muscle takes up less space when it's fit and strong. You will lose not only body fat, but several sizes in clothing if you strength train.

:flowerforyou: You may not look like a body builder, but strength training will change the shape of your body in ways you never thought possible!

:flowerforyou: It makes you look and feel younger.
    :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Excellent points here for those not into the gym, unable to go or simple can budget time at home much better to workout when time is more available!:wink:

I love my gym, I have a scholarship though, if I had to pay on my own, I couldn't possibly afford it. it:sad: :ohwell:

I use home vids as well and they do have many great ones out there...it's good to have them for those way to snowy days to get out to the gym, or if you want to do a little extra and you've already been to the gym in the early a.m

Another matter of what fits best in our lives for us, cost wise, conveince wise, time wise etc.:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :yawn: :tongue:
  • cherapple
    Options
    You can do it with bands, so you don't have to invest in expensive sets of dumbells or selectechs. I'm doing it with bands and I'm getting my butt kicked every time!

Yes, bands are great! :flowerforyou: My favorite thing about bands -- they fit perfectly, and they weight next to nothing, in a travel bag or suitcase! Once you learn a few band moves, you can take your workout anywhere. :happy:
  • cherapple
    Options
    I don't know if it has been mentioned that you don't need to kill yourself! Three to four times per week is enough. When I learned that professional body builders often only work their abs *once* per week, that's when I started weight lifting seriously and haven't looked back! (I used to think I had to do work my abs nearly every day, and I would burn myself out and quit.)

Here are some sample programs:

Beginner 2 days:
    Mon: Cardio
    Tue: Full body weights
    Wed: Cardio
    Thurs: Cardio
    Fri: Full body weights
    Sat: Cardio
    Sun: Off

Beginner 3 days:
    Mon: Full body weights
    Tue: Cardio
    Wed: Full body weights
    Thu: Cardio
    Fri: Full body weights

Intermediate 3 day splits:
    Mon: Chest, shoulders, triceps, abs
    Tue: Cardio
    Wed: Legs, back, biceps, calves
    Thu: Cardio
    Fri: Chest shoulders, triceps, abs
    (The following Monday pick up with the legs workout.)

Intermediate 4 day splits:
    Mon: Chest, shoulders, triceps, abs, and cardio
    Tue: Legs, back, biceps, calves
    Wed: Cardio
    Thu: Chest shoulders, triceps, abs
    Fri: Cardio
    Sat: Legs, back, biceps, calves
    (The following Monday pick up with the legs workout.)

When you get into advanced, you can break it down even more, so that you only work out three muscle groups at a time:

Back, chest, abs
    Quads, hamstrings, calves
    Shoulders, triceps, and biceps

You can switch muscle groups around so that you're never doing the same workout twice, and your muscles never adapt to what you're doing! They just look more and more defined! :bigsmile:

(I posted this elsewhere, and thought I was posting it here! :embarassed: Sorry to anyone who's reading twice! :laugh: )
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Yes, Beachbody offers a number of exercise videos tha t would help you. I use P90X, but it is NOT for beginners. Kathy Smith or Debbie Siebers have good programs for you also. I understand that using a set of bands can give you some good results. I agree with fitness chick that lifting weights is the way to go (a clean diet helps, too).
  • cherapple
    Options
    I agree with fitness chick that lifting weights is the way to go (a clean diet helps, too).

Oh, yeah, a clean diet helps the muscles show. See the Clean Eating Club thread for help with that. :bigsmile: :happy: