discouraged

Options
Hi I am 34 and over weight.. I have tried diet pills and all they did was mess up my heart. Now I have to take medication the rest of my life. Im looking for support to help me get back in shape . Life this way is no fun. Im frustrated and fat....

Replies

Options
    Hi I am 34 and over weight.. I have tried diet pills and all they did was mess up my heart. Now I have to take medication the rest of my life. Im looking for support to help me get back in shape . Life this way is no fun. Im frustrated and fat....
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Cheer up, it happens to us all! At least you are aware of what you are eating and how the end result makes you feel......when you're ready to jump back on the horse, you will! Best of luck to you!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you~!
    Options
    Thanks I just wish I could quit the bad foods, but the cravings are out of control,
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can recommend is that when the cravings hit you at home, instead of going to the kitchen, turn around, put your walking shoes on and take a 45 minute walk.
  • christahollis
    Options
    I know all about discouragement!
    I've been working out for over a year...careful diet...exercise every day...the whole thing...but I only lost a teenie, tiny bit of weight. And I worked HARD! My exercise routine was more frequent and challenging than my doctor's!

I spent an entire year working hard, only to find that I have a thyroid disorder...unmedicated, I didn't have a chance in hell of succeeding.
    Now that I am 'normal'...I have a shot.

Make sure you check in with your doctor about your exercise regime...especially with a heart problem...plus it'll help you be accountable. Also, if you have not...have your cholesterol and stuff checked so that you know where you stand.

Hang in there...keep doing it, every day...keep making the choice to do it and take better care of yourself EVERY DAY.

The discouragement will fade...changes will take place...and you'll feel like a new person.
    Options
    Thanks. I just wish I had the motivation to do this like I did when I quit smoking
    Options
    I will try to start walking its just extremely cold here now I will have to find something to do inside. I want to be healthy for my children. I want to be able to play with them w/o getting tired.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Have you tried winter walking? I keep hearing from everyone how cold it is, therefore they cannot walk outside. I live in WI and some of my favorite walking time is in the winter. I think it feels so good to me because i am so tired of being cooped up inside. Just make sure you bundle up real good. I have also heard that you burn more because it takes your body more energy to warm you up (and keep you warm).

Congrats on the quitting smoking!!
  • happygrumpalump
    happygrumpalump Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I was at a healthy weight 4 years ago and then my doctor started me on a medication to treat mild depression. I ended up gaining 30 lbs in less than 3 months. I felt so frustrated. The meds literally killed my metobolism and I craved sweets and carbs like never before. But if I ate them I gained weight like crazy. I stopped cold turkey after a year of taking them because the weight gain left me feeling MORE depressed than what my original depression was. I felt better, but the weight wouldn't come off. A friend introduced me to this site and it has helped me in so many ways. Everyone is so supportive here and make sure you measure yourself. My weight loss is slow going, But I'm losing inches so I know that it's working.

You can do this!
  • skitch
    Options
    The motivation should be the same as when you quit smoking. You are doing this for your health and for everyone important in your life. Keep positive thoughts, keep your mind active and the rest will fall into place.
  • kewlndn
    Options
    Hey... DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOUR SELF. I"m 34 and FAT TOO! I use to play college volleyball... way back in the day! But I've let my self go and am now feeling the wieghts. I've never been a miserable fatso... cuz my family and friends are so loving and have always seen me for WHO I AM and not my fat rolls!

I started this program on Jan 24th. I've already lost 11 pounds. I'm counting my cals, sticking to the daily goal intake, and working out like a mad women - six days a week of the elliptical. I'm eating special K or oat meal, or furina in the moring, lean cuisine at lunch, and salads with 4 oz meat (chicken or beef) in the evening.

You know what? It's really your decision! NO one is gonna make you do it. YOu have to be the one to take control of yourself and say, "I DON'T WANT TO BE OVER WEIGHT ANYMORE!"

We're all here to support you. JUST LOG ON!!

All my best to your new journey.

Live, Laugh, SING, & be well,
    Pat
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    welcome! we are all here for you!!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Cecilia01
    Options
    Hey! Just keep a positive attitude! It will do wonders for you!

And on the walking: go out and buy yourself a $20 pedometer. It will work miracles. I have had one since I started this and wear it everyday. It really helps you get motivated to get up and just even walk around the house....instead of sitting there and thinking you will go upstairs later and pick something up later, it will get you up and walking. Give yourself little goals everyday and it will really help. The ideal is 10000 steps, but start small and work your way up. I promise, wearing one will make you WANT to walk more!!

Good luck!! We are all here for you! :flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Have you tried winter walking? I keep hearing from everyone how cold it is, therefore they cannot walk outside. I live in WI and some of my favorite walking time is in the winter. I think it feels so good to me because i am so tired of being cooped up inside. Just make sure you bundle up real good. I have also heard that you burn more because it takes your body more energy to warm you up (and keep you warm).

Congrats on the quitting smoking!!

I have cold weather asthma personally, so walking outside from about Mid November to mid April, I can't walk anywhere. It SUCKS! Thankfully I have an elliptical now, so I've been doing that.
    I can't wait for summer to walk walk walk!
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their support. Today is a much better day.