28 YO/F/5'8/SW 296/GW 150

Options
psychethelover
psychethelover Posts: 68 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hey, I'm back again for my third time of using MFP. A couple years ago I used it with keto to lose 75 lbs. I ended up gaining it all back after going back to my old way of eating, plus 15 additional lbs. I'm so sick of feeling so big and heavy and having pain and not wanting to do anything because I'm constantly overeating.

I lost around 45 lbs a couple years prior to that just by counting calories and making slightly better food choices. I got back to my starting weight after that when I went back to my ways.

I don't know why I find it so hard to have self control when it comes to food. To me it just feels so good to eat and it's such a compulsive thing that it's so hard to ignore a craving. Doing keto before honestly got rid of the cravings after a week or so. That's why I'm hoping to have success with it again.

I also want to start lifting so I'm really not sure at all where to begin with that one.

Replies

• hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to your journey! i struggle with self control around food all the time. in fact today at work everyone ordered chinese takeout for lunch and it was/is torture not to eat it. Some days are much better than others. My biggest downfall is chocolate. I have an awful sweet tooth.

I have lost 85 lbs ove the last 2 years, still have 65 is to go. Id be happy to commiserate with you.

I also started using dumb bells and mostly barbell movements over the last 8 months instead of the machines. Its an amazing difference and i wholeheartedly encourage you to try it. getting stronger is so much fun!

Anyways, i guess i am babbling. feel free to add me if you like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I was going to say "you need to become sick of constantly overeating and not just sick of being overweight and the effects of being overweight", but then you said "it just feels so good to eat and it's such a compulsive thing". When you've decided it's a compulsion, it's actually easy to stop. But until you make up your mind, it's going to be a struggle.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Keto didn't work long-term for you. What's different this time around that will make Keto work?

I didn't do a specific diet plan this time around. I remolded my old way of eating into my new way of eating. I aim for about 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats so that I don't feel deprived and get my needed nutrients. I only eat foods I like and don't eat foods I don't like.

I suggest that you start by logging what you normally eat for a couple of weeks to gather data. You can then look back through to see where you might reduce your portion size and/or make satisfying substitutions. If you use the weight-loss phase to experiment, you can then keep eating the same way in maintenance but with a few more calories.
  • cbrynlee1703
    cbrynlee1703 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have about 75 lbs to lose and would love to support you on your journey. I tried to add you as a friend but it wouldn’t let me. Feel free to add me if you like
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Enter your food diary daily and keep tracking your calories, try to do small exercises. Keep active yourself. All the best!! Feel free to add me :)
  • jonezy444
    jonezy444 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Heeey! Brand new here. I feel the same way about the compulsion eating, ugh! I'm going to try keto/low carb thing and see what it's all about! Good luck new friend!
  • Panthers_Nation
    Panthers_Nation Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • jlove618
    jlove618 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've got about 80 lbs to lose as well! Lets support each other :)