Calories per meals

Options
Just wondering if anyone has seen differences in weight loss and how they split up their calories. I don't split them evenly (on 1200 per day, which MFP calculates 300 for each meal and snacks). I am not a big breakfast eater, so I tend to stay under200 there, about 300 for lunch, 500 for dinner and 200 for snacks. I know CICO is the basic science of weight loss, just wondering if splitting more evenly is better.

Replies

• ihp2015
    ihp2015 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1700 cals, and as the others said it doesn't make a difference for weight loss how you divide those cals. However my dietician has made a food plan for me with the following division: 300 for breakfast, 100 for morning snack, 400 for lunch, 200 for afternoon snack, 500 for dinner, and 200 for evening snack. The benefit for me with this plan is that I don't get hungry and therefore avoid overeating.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Energy balance. Calories per meal, number of meals, meal timing etc is irrelevant.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 400 calorie lunch and 800 calorie dinner, personally. I don't get hungry in the morning and I enjoy a large, filling dinner. So this method works best for me. I drink a lot of tea at work so that keeps me from feeling too hungry.
  • Tuckerallie90
    Tuckerallie90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everyday is different. I just do my best, track every thing I eat, plus every exercise activity I do. I started MFP about a month ago and realized that I would rather eat to my hearts content and exercise whatever calories I go over 1200. Then I am still on track and I don't have to sacrifice eating food I like.
  • wxlaw
    wxlaw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a little weird and I tend to have big breakfast. My daily calories intake ranges from 1250 to 1400. There are times when I will binge eating in the morning and consume more than 1000 calories before 10am and do not feel hungry for the rest of the day.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is about a cup of lower-sugar cereal, 1% milk, and a banana that totally gets me through to lunch. I can have the same calories, or slightly more, of something else and I have to put more effort into getting to lunchtime. I have some unscientific guesses, but haven't found a reason good enough to share with you all yet.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible that there is (or will be) some evidence that a certain calorie distribution is optimal for weight loss. I am not aware of any at the moment. However, I do know that the number one reason people fail to lose weight is inability to maintain a calorie deficit (i.e. diet compliance), and so I think the most important thing you can do with respect to meal timing/calorie split would be to find something that best helps you personally keep to that deficit. I've settled into roughly a 185/250/250/150/550/200 split because eating small amounts every couple of hours keeps me full and happy, and just feels natural for me. Everyone's going to be different.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    My calorie split is totally dependent on circumstance. On vacation I typically eat twice a day. In the summer, I eat lightly during the day - grazing style (it's so hot!) but in the winter, my meals are more evenly split.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    wxlaw wrote: »
    I'm a little weird and I tend to have big breakfast. My daily calories intake ranges from 1250 to 1400. There are times when I will binge eating in the morning and consume more than 1000 calories before 10am and do not feel hungry for the rest of the day.

Your not weird at all

Were all different and respond to different things
    If a big breakfast is what you need to stay within your daily goal then go for it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You got to figure out what works for you. I'm typically hungrier earlier in the day than at night, but even that changes and sometimes I just skip breakfast because I just don't have much of an appetite for it. Either way, I just eat when I'm hungry, so I can end up with two big meals or six small ones... totally depends on the day.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Different everyday, but I try to avoid eating before going bed