Strictly Work Out at Home

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    You can do the same thing at home that you can do in the gym with the right equipment, so I don't know how location would make a difference.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    I've worked out at home much of the past year since I started maintenance and my trainer closed his studio. I go to the Y to swim and do weights 2-3x week at home. I've maintained my weight exactly for a year, lost 2lbs fat and gained 2 lbs muscle per hydrotank testing. That's good results in my book.
    You could try working out at home and if you don't like that, join a gym. The biggest challenge for people working out at home seems to be the discipline in DOING it. Some people need a class to GO TO to maintain consistency, others don't.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    "Does anyone strictly work out at home?"

Lift only at home.

Have a full rack w/7 bars and over 1k# in plates, a GHD, dip and sissy squat station, adjustable bench and dumb bells, a pair of Farmer's Walk handles and a deadlift jack in addtion to many other things, in my garage.

Do some cardio at the gym on the StairMaster but I have a Concept2 rower and LeMond RevMasterPro spin bike for use only at home. Have also been taking 3-7 mile walks/hikes around town, on a golf course and in nearby parks.

"Long term success in doing so?"

Yes.

Lost 38# from 196 to 158 in 8 months and have been maintaining wt and 158 +/-5 over last 9 months. Also reduced BF from +20% down to 10% and increased strength to the advanced and elite levels for men my age & weight.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Outside for cardio... Inside for weights. No gym for me.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Lift only at home.

Have a full rack w/7 bars and over 1k# in plates, a GHD, dip and sissy squat station, adjustable bench and dumb bells, a pair of Farmer's Walk handles and a deadlift jack in addtion to many other things, in my garage.

Holy cow! You are literally better stocked than the wellness center I was previously lifting at!
    #gymgoals
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I have a treadmill, but mostly run outside. I also have adjustable dumbells, a barbell, and a kettlebell thingy that uses plates from the dumbbells. Oh, and a bench and Swiss ball and all sorts of resistance bands.

I have a gym membership and use it on occasion, but rarely. I rather like working out in my pajamas and socks.

It's also easier for me to find the motivation to work out consistently at home than it was to drag myself to the gym on a regular basis. Mind you, I did work out consistently, but it was a battle. I much prefer working out at home.
  • outbound2017
    outbound2017 Posts: 5 Member
    I also had this question as I hate going to the gym.

It seems like the answer is: it's definitely doable and maybe even easier with a home gym, but much more challenging without one. Once I find a decent job, a home gym is going up to very high priority! Very useful information.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Lift only at home.

Holy cow! You are literally better stocked than the wellness center I was previously lifting at!
    #gymgoals

Yes, it's also better equipped than free weight area in the gym that use (as well as most others that are located near me) .

Spent a lot of time trolling Craigslist to buy most of the gear. Only bought a few things new online.

The only thing I'd still like to get is a rackable curling bar. I've got a short T-bar that I can use for curling but I have to mount it on jack stands to use it, which is only a minor inconvenience.

So, I really don't need a rackable curling bar. Would just like to have one to add to the collection but don't want to pay retail for one. Still hoping to find one cheap on Craigslist. ;)
  • kepnerdennison
    kepnerdennison Posts: 4 Member
    Does anyone strictly work out at home . Long term success in doing so?

Yup I only work out at home and I have lost over 20lbs in this last 5 months. And I don't even have that much Gym equipment! A set of 10lbs. Dumbells and a set of 5lbs. Is all I got!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited October 2017
    I did for years. Children were younger and just didn't really have time to go to the gym. Had great success.
    I had a basic set of dumbbells, barbells, simply bench, and an elliptical machine for cardio.

Life has changed and I prefer the gym.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    I do--had a gym membership years back and never went.

Started with You Are Your Own Gym. Today, I do PiYO, P90, and Fitness Blender workouts in addition to break up the monotony.

Two and half years later I still workout five days a week and have increased muscle mass and fitness.

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I live in a small town and when I did go to our gym every time I would spend time talking to everyone I would run into rather than getting my workout done. I have worked out at home for several years now and I love it. I have a squat rack, four cardio machines and free weights.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    once i buy a good power rack, i will start working out at home rather than at the gym.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    edited October 2017
    Does anyone strictly work out at home . Long term success in doing so?

Doesn't matter where you work out, any long term success requires adherence.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    That was my plan when purchasing a home, & did set up some weights/mats in the basement that I use occaisionally. BUT it would cost way too much to get good quality cardio equipment & this time of year it's too dark/cold for me to go outside. So $10/month for Planet Fitness is totally worth it! I don't always like going out in public but I just put on headphones & try to ignore everyone haha.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Also, if I might chime in....

You can make enormous gains with simple push ups, pull ups, chin up, body squats, lunges, dips.....amazing results. There are also programs that are tailored for the person working out at home. I know that you are not a female, but a perfect example is Strong Curves. I am sure that there are others that are not so "glute-based".....
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    I do. I have an infant son and getting to the gym is really hard for me. Even before I had him I had a hard time utilizing a gym membership. It’s easier for me to just work out than to motivate myself to drive to a gym *and* to work out. I have an elliptical and bike combo and do body weight exercises and yoga on my active rest days.
  • revakadams
    revakadams Posts: 1 Member
    Do any home work outers (I wantd to call you home bodies, lol) have a dumbbell brand recommendation? I like neoprene because it is easier on my hands but I am finding that a lot of them are off on their actual weight (I just found out 1 of my 5 lb weights is only 4.15 lbs). I strictly workout at home (or jog in my neighborhood) so I would like something that will last. TIA!!!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2017
    I lost 80+ pounds a few years ago and have been maintaining since. Never had a gym membership.

I workout at home (home gym with weights, equipment, a Pilates Reformer, a ton of fitness videos, Youtube workouts and toys like a weighted hula-hoop, weighted jump rope, a mini-stepper etc.)

Also I workout outdoors when I can (fast walking, hill runs, bodyweight work on a high school football field). I have a ton of variety!

Working out this way might not work for everyone, but this works great for me. I'm super driven and never needed motivation from others.

I'm in the best shape of my life and I love the convenience, cleanliness and knowing that I am the only person using my own equipment.
  • ree2lose
    ree2lose Posts: 33 Member
    I lost 50 lbs a few years ago working out at home. Walking and jogging outdoors and using videos indoors during bad weather. Also strength training with home weight set.