Sticking to it!

Options
Brittbritt4987
Brittbritt4987 Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm here looking for support and advice when it comes to sticking to losing weight and staying healthy. As I'm sure a lot of you are, I'm a busy mother of 2 (14 and 4), and find it way to easy to give up, or make excuses. What are some of your best practices when you are faced with decisions that don't benefit your new way of eating and exercise? I need help! :/

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to stick to? Maybe you are doing unnecessary things? Losing weight is just about eating less, and you stay healthy if you eat enough, but not too much, and get some exercise now and then. Having kids would automatically force you to be somewhat active.
  • Brittbritt4987
    Brittbritt4987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to healthy eating and daily exercise. I mean, I'll make any excuse to jump off and start eating bad again. Or not make the time to exercise. I'm Queen of excuses. I just need to surpass that way of conducting and not sure how.
  • Rero79
    Rero79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I honestly think what works for me as a mom and wife is having the whole family on board this time. We are 5 weeks in and the best thing that has worked for us is the fact that we meal prep and plan workouts. We (Hubs and I ) both work full time jobs sometimes with him not getting until late at night as a manager. My kids are teenagers so keeping them active and off the electronics is hard. So we focus on us working out first thing in the mornings, meals are prepped on the weekends and off we go. If we plan, we cant fail this time.
  • Panthers_Nation
    Panthers_Nation Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to healthy eating and daily exercise. I mean, I'll make any excuse to jump off and start eating bad again. Or not make the time to exercise. I'm Queen of excuses. I just need to surpass that way of conducting and not sure how.

In your first post you said you want to lose weight, but here you only mention healthy eating and daily exercise.

Neither of those 2 things are going to help you lose weight. You have to track your eating first a foremost. Focus on that until you're an expert at it.

Don't worry so much about what you eat at first. Get down the amount you need to eat to meet your calorie goals.

Once you've mastered that you can move on to changing what you eat to better meet your long term health/nutrition goals.

Add in exercise as you go along and in a way that is enjoyable and that you'll stick with. There's a whole world of physical activity outside the gym.

By taking smaller steps at a time you'll give yourself the time to adjust to the changes instead of trying to go full in over night. It takes a little more time, but should help you in the long run.
  • RebeccaHovland
    RebeccaHovland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What I've learned is that weight loss is really a mindset and lifestyle change. When I want to eat something bad or skip out on exercising I give myself a little break. Its impossible to be perfect all of the time. If you need a little wiggle room, give it to yourself. Fitness is a life-long commitment, not a short-term punishment. Don't punish yourself with exercise and don't view eating badly and skipping exercise as a treat. You're doing the best you can with what you've got. Be loving gracious to yourself :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I can very well understand why you don't know how to do it. Your goals are very little specific and you call what you really want to do, bad.

First, get educated on healthy eating. Good nutrition for healthy adults isn't rocket science. You need a range of nutrients every day, and not too much of anything over time. This can be achieved in a number of ways. Using your food diary, and hitting your calories and macros, is one way. Thinking food groups and balanced meals and getting in your five-a-day, is another. Eating healthily should be easy to fit into your life and schedule, and not cause stress and anxiety. Your food should taste good and make you feel happy and energetic, not virtuous.

Moderate amounts of treats can be part of a healthy diet. Food is so much more than fuel and nutrition. Denying oneself pleasure from food, is just going to backfire.

You don't have to exercise. But even if you want to exercise, you may have to schedule it.