McDonalds Breakfast Sandwiches

Options
Im sure this has been discussed but I haven't been on MFP for very long. I started this 'lifestyle change' in June because I decided enough is enough. Since then I've done my best to cut out fast food because I had a bad habit of not eating at all during the day then coming home after 2 jobs and family would have fast food....

anyway getting to the point I on occasion run late and grab an egg & cheese biscuit from Mcdonalds, is this a bad thing?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    No, it's fine as long as you add it into your daily intake.
  • allaboutty
    Options
    splurges are not bad. Everything in moderation is my motto
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Very large number of calories in any of the biscuit sandwiches at McD's. Train yourself to love the Egg McMuffin. It is reasonable in calories and nutrition, and really pretty tasty!
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You know what? It's not horrible. There are 300 calories and 12 g of fat. As long as you have those to spare, it could be much worse.
  • bearsfan2334
    Options
    I agree with Tiger - if you want something - don't limit yourself. Eat in moderation but the egg mcmuffin is much better for ya!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Im sure this has been discussed but I haven't been on MFP for very long. I started this 'lifestyle change' in June because I decided enough is enough. Since then I've done my best to cut out fast food because I had a bad habit of not eating at all during the day then coming home after 2 jobs and family would have fast food....

anyway getting to the point I on occasion run late and grab an egg & cheese biscuit from Mcdonalds, is this a bad thing?

It's not the best thing, but if you planned it in to your day... it's not totally bad. The Subway breakfast sandwiches are better (calorie and sodium wise) than McDonald's. If you have a Subway near you, consider stopping there instead. Good luck!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of sugar in these breakfast sandwiches, but once in a while it's not evil. On occasion I will run to tim hortons and get a breakfast sandwich there. But like others have said, if you have the mcmuffin from there, it's pretty decent actually.
  • Texalese
    Texalese Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think you can work that into your calorie goals for the day but there are certainly healthier choices out there.

At McDonalds you could get the Egg McMuffin and save some calories. But if you want the egg & cheese biscuit, why not get it and cut something else out?

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you are near a dunkin donuts...they have an egg white flatbread. Wonder how the two compare?
  • malyca
    malyca Posts: 2
    Options
    I read somewhere that the mcmuffin (not the biscuit) is one of the better fast food breakfast options out there. Even just looking at calories along you can see the difference - 420 calories for the biscuit over 300 for the mcmuffin.

Of course, the obvious thing is to avoid it altogether but I know that it can be difficult - I'm out on the road early in the morning sometimes traveling longish distances and it is just convenient to go through the drive through - get a bottle of water and the mcmuffin and use sparingly ;)
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    So... I used to be obsessed with chicken mcnuggets. OBSESSSSSSSSSSSSED. But, I weaned myself off of them by starting to order them without sauce to save calories. Then I found some similar ones in the frozen foods section. Then I found a healthier version of nuggets. Now, I eat them only on rare occasion.

I would suggest finding something similar in the frozen food section, then a healthier version of that once you get used to it.

You'll be surprised how quickly your taste buds can change and your calorie count can increase!! :) Best of luck to you!

Oh! Check out Subway breakfast sandwiches with the egg whites as well. Subway is quick in the morning because even though you have to get out of your car, there aren't that many people in there. :)
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation is fine. I would personally make your own mcsandwiches though. Those things are extremely high in fat, calories, etc. AKA very bad for you! But like I said, it's okay to have things in moderation. Take into account what you are eating.
    I really suggest you try making your own though. I do this and they are 1000 times better for you and better tasting than fast food things.

yo can do like a whole wheat english muffing with egg whites, cheese, tomato, onion on it, etc. will save you lots of calories
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The Egg McMuffin calories (300) are reasonable, and even if you make it yourself at home you'll have around the same calories, even more:

English muffin - 120 cals
    Egg - 80 cals
    Canadian bacon slice - 80 cals
    American cheese slice - 60 cals

For some reason when "McDonald's" (or any major fast food brand name) is included in the same sentence all of the sudden everyone cries out "bad! unhealthy!" even though when you make the same thing in your home or in another restaurant it suddenly becomes 'okay'. Typically cheese is your culprit when dining out or eating fast food, you'll save a lot of calories just by cutting out cheese.

Enjoy eating, do it in moderation and you'll be okay. And keep moving!
  • uncurvymotivation
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) I will look into getting the mcmuffin next time ive never tried it, however... i do have a hard time even meeting my 1200 calorie goal daily...just not sure if the cals are worth the sodium in the sandwich, even though i never have the whole thing...
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I happen to not agree with most of the responses. I don't think it's ok if you are making a lifestyle change. Fast food is the last thing you should be eating. If you are strictly going for weight loss, calories in and calories out and the amount contained in the food fits into your daily budget then go for it but if it's a lifestyle change then fast food should be out completely for a while.

If you have a hard time meeting your 1,200 cals per day then you need to take some time to re-evaluate your meals so that you can get to that goal with good clean food that your body can use properly for fuel.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding something similar in the frozen food section, then a healthier version of that once you get used to it.

I've recently discovered the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches in my grocery frozen foods section. The ones using turkey and egg white have very reasonable calories counts---like mid200s for a breakfast croissant (not sure if they have a biscuit version).

I know you're talking about being in a rush and hitting McD's to save time...but perhaps you can pop one of these in the micowave, then take it along and hit McD's for your coffee? Might be worth the cumulative calorie savings over a week.
  • tlzidon
    tlzidon Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like the Caribou Coffee breakfast sandwiches if you have one of those coffee stores nearby. In a pinch, I have also done the Jimmy Dean ones you can find in the freezer section.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Very large number of calories in any of the biscuit sandwiches at McD's. Train yourself to love the Egg McMuffin. It is reasonable in calories and nutrition, and really pretty tasty!

It's 300 calories!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    And I disagree with the statement that fast food shouldn't be part of a "life style change". I like my life style to include most things in moderation.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    The Egg McMuffin calories (300) are reasonable, and even if you make it yourself at home you'll have around the same calories, even more:

English muffin - 120 cals
    Egg - 80 cals
    Canadian bacon slice - 80 cals
    American cheese slice - 60 cals

For some reason when "McDonald's" (or any major fast food brand name) is included in the same sentence all of the sudden everyone cries out "bad! unhealthy!" even though when you make the same thing in your home or in another restaurant it suddenly becomes 'okay'. Typically cheese is your culprit when dining out or eating fast food, you'll save a lot of calories just by cutting out cheese.

Enjoy eating, do it in moderation and you'll be okay. And keep moving!

I can do you better. Use Kraft fat free singles, 25 calories. Use Crystal farms egg whites. 1/4 cup 30 calories. Without even taking the time to do research I just knocked off 85 calories. If you can figure out ways of cutting at each meal like that, you'll save 255 calories just in 3 meals.