I am running a half marathon on 10/22. Thoughts on how much carbs the day prior to race?

Options
I ran 9 miles today and felt pretty good, but it is a mental game. I'm not looking to set records other than finishing. I average a 11 minute mile. Looking for thoughts from my lower carb friends on food choices and amount of carbs before a race.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    What have you done prior to your long runs? That's what you should do before your race. If you had enough energy for your long runs, you'll have enough for your race. You don't really need a lot of carbs for a half marathon. Don't stuff yourself the day before. Something like chicken and rice or fish and sweet potato are good. Pasta if you can keep it from being really fatty. Maybe a bagel for lunch instead of salad. If you increase your carbs, then decrease fats. Be careful about fiber as well.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just ran my second half today, and I didn't do anything differently. I did have 3 energy gels during the run, at 20 carbs each, but my diet yesterday was normal. I am type 2 diabetic,though, so carb loading isn't good for me anyway.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Have an awesome run! Mine is 10/21/2017 I will eat normally and carry my gel with me. Planning on baked potato with cheese and steak bites the night before. It sits easy on my stomach.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would avoid the so called low carb diet deal during an endurance event, your body runs on carbs, especially for endurance. If you don't have carbs your muscles and liver will become glycogen depleted and you will hit the wall sooner than everyone else.

If you want to do the more modern "carb loading" protocol it's based on a week prior to the endurance event:

Depletion stage (3 days) 5 g/kg CHO, fat + protein. hard training
    Repletion stage (3 days) 10 g/kg CHO, fat + protein. light exercise, rest.

Event day: 3-4 hours before consume 3-4.5g/kg CHO
    2 hours before consume 2g/kg CHO
    1 hour before consume 1g/kg CHO

During it's 30-60g/hour or 1/2-1g/min CHO

If you don't know your weight in kg, take your pounds and divide by 2.2

CHO is short for carbohydrates which are made up of Carbon/Hydrogen/Oxygen molecules.

Fun stuff!

Good luck!
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Basically whatever you have been using for intake during your long run days during training is what I would go with. For me, this tended to be heavy on the carbs and sodium for obvious reasons. Low carb is not a wise choice for endurance events, so you might want to take a few days off from that mentality and you can resume it after the race.

One final thing I would add is I would be careful about what you eat, if anything at all, on race day itself. The gun went off for my first half at 7AM, so I did not eat a thing before, but I saw some "interesting" reactions from other runners who clearly ate something they should not have.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My first HM is in December and I am playing around with different foods the day of race. I had two servings Special K with almond milk, and that was just right for my 6-miler. The night before I had French bread pizza, and that didn't cause me any issues the day of.

I will play it safe and probably stick with potatoes or rice, chicken, and a roasted veggie the night before, but probably double the starch amount I usually eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Do whatever you did before all of your long training runs. Now is not the time to try something new.

Enjoy your race!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I ran 9 miles today and felt pretty good, but it is a mental game. I'm not looking to set records other than finishing. I average a 11 minute mile. Looking for thoughts from my lower carb friends on food choices and amount of carbs before a race.

With a week to go, now is not the time to experiment.

In principle you don't really need to carb load before a Half but if you're on a low carb diet that judgement changes somewhat. You may need to think about some supplementation of your carb intake this week.

Personally I find carb loading for a marathon or longer is something I plan a week for. Eating the day before had limited value as you'll not really process the intake prior to the race. A heavy meal will sit in your stomach undigested.

I'm the week before a race in going for baked potato, tuna, pasta no closer than two days before, copious amounts of fruit, veggie curry.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    You have left it a bit too late as you won't get the chance to try out any new eating or fuelling strategy and test the results. What works for someone else may not work for you.
    I know for my endurance events high carb, low fat, low fibre works for me but I've had to make some mistakes along the way to learn that.

Really you are either stuck with what you have done so far or start to gradually up your carbs day on day rather than trying to "load" with one big meal which may sit like a brick in your stomach.
    Personally I would agree with people who say just do what you are used to and know works for 9 miles.

But with only about 2hrs 20mins estimated duration you don't need to do anything particularly special anyway.

Carry some carb gels as a safety net perhaps?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing before your long training runs? Continue to do that.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Another vote to reinforce the notion that you should do what you've already been doing. Do not eat anything new or change the routine you've been following before your long run days. If it's been sufficient to fuel you for 9-10 miles then it should be fine to get you to 13.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change WHAT you eat, only how much. IMO, I'd eat at maintenance for a few days leading up to the race. But otherwise, I would't change anything else.
  • jenno369
    jenno369 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in to say good luck on Sunday! I am running a half on Sunday also, I am planning on keeping everything basically the same this week as I have in recent weeks with my longest training runs. Hope you have nice weather and enjoy the race!
  • Nussbary
    Nussbary Posts: 34 Member
    Options

DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Another vote to reinforce the notion that you should do what you've already been doing. Do not eat anything new or change the routine you've been following before your long run days. If it's been sufficient to fuel you for 9-10 miles then it should be fine to get you to 13.

YEESS !! don't change. your body will make up for the small gap between 9 to 13. It could be worse to surprise your body with something abnormal from what it has been working with causing issues for yourself during the race day. Have fun!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nussbary wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

YEESS !! don't change. your body will make up for the small gap between 9 to 13. It could be worse to surprise your body with something abnormal from what it has been working with causing issues for yourself during the race day. Have fun!

Small gap!!! There's nowt small about the last 3 miles of a half :laugh:
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    The first time I trained for a marathon one of my coaches gave me the most valuable piece of advice I have ever gotten about distance running. The advice was "Remember that if you carb load, eventually you'll have to carb unload (poop). So try to train yourself to take a dump before your run. Otherwise your legs could tighten up while you stand in line at port-o-potties along the course." I knew about what time I would have to leave my hotel for the race so I always did my business about that time during training. On race day I "carb unloaded" before I left my hotel room & ran past all the long, stinky lines along the course.
    Oh and stick with what you eat on training days, the time to experiment has passed for this race. If you feel bad on the course, take note so you can experiment during training for future races.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I remember my first half. I came home from a long run of about ten miles and opened the paper to see a half scheduled for the next day. I thought "I can do that". I went and got a bunch of goo packs and other fuel but chickened out on the goo and settled for some gummy's every few miles. I remember being in a panic because I couldn't poop before the race. I did fine. A funny moment was seeing one of my customers at the starting area he said "I didn't know you were a runner" I answered "I saw this in the paper yesterday and thought I would try it". He replied "you are going to get killed". I got lucky that my running routine was actually perfect training. Like others have said, treat it like your normal long run.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you have something that you've eaten successfully in the past right before (or during) your long runs, then you might want to take a little bit of it with you in case you need it in those last few miles. Personally, I have to eat something pretty quickly at roughly 10 miles or else I will be somewhat light-headed for hours after.

I'm not low carb, but I'm usually pretty picky about making sure my meals include a lot of protein & fiber instead of just filler carbs that won't help meet quotas. That goes out the window right before and during a run - starch/sugar-syrup based food items are my go-to then (usually fruit snacks and some electrolyte tables) since anything else isn't going to sit easily (at least for me) during a run.
  • juliedunlap
    juliedunlap Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice - all great points. I ran 9 miles yesterday and felt really good during and after (today). I used 2 gel block (cut in half and ate 25 min with a few sips of water along the way). So long and short I'll stick with what worked this past weekend. Make sure I drink my 75 ounces of water on Saturday to be sure I am good and hydrated for Sunday. I ate a decent dinner on Saturday night - I had a turkey burger and ate half the roll with garden salad. On Sunday morning I'll always need my coffee and a light breakfast!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Try not to drink anything the hour or so before the race. A sip or two at most. Having to stop mid-race can mess with your race. Either you get stiff while waiting, or you try to make up for lost time and go out too fast.