Advice

Options
What do you tell yourself when u get a sudden urge or impulse to over eat? I always get these sudden urges to overeat, not neccarily binge, and i dont know how to control them nothint seems to work. I dont restrict on weekdays i eat whatever i want in moderation so resticting cant be the reason it happens. And they always ruin my effors on the weekdays and i end up gaining whatever i lost that week. I also get them after taking naps. Any advice?

Replies

• Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should try to keep busy. Especially your hands. Try adult coloring books, doodling, knitting, crochet, puzzle books, what ever you can find to try and keep your hands occupied. You don't need to be creative, get a piece of string and braid it. Cook a dish from scratch. Try baking and try out new healthy recepies.
    Try everything you can to keep being bored away. Being bored often leads to mindless munching or binging on things.
  • fatimasadoon2000
    fatimasadoon2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The problem is that they dont happen because of boredom. Sometimes theyre out of stress and sometimes they happen without a reason and i cant seem to stop them
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You may not be restricting what you eat but what are your stats, activity level and calorie intake? Are your calories too low?
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that you might have a food intolerence??

Because when I eat certain things e.g. wheat, yeast I find that I cant stop eating the rest of the day and the day after. My appetite seems to triple magically.

I had a test recently where they found out that I am intolerent to YEAST and GLUTEN/WHEAT so I am following slimming world online but a gluten free/wheat free version of it.

I am keeping a food diary to monitor it. I am hoping to be eating around 1,500 calories a day plus going swimming and walking when I can.

Perhaps consider food intolerence as it is much more common than people realise.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What does overeating mean to you? Your post says you’re eating enough calories to wipe out your weekly deficit, but that it’s not binging. But how much weight to you have to lose? Or stick to a strict meal schedule? What do you do on weekends? What do you eat when you overeat? More details could really help.
  • fatimasadoon2000
    Options
    You may not be restricting what you eat but what are your stats, activity level and calorie intake? Are your calories too low?
    i berely workout, maybe once a week. Im 5'6 and i weigh around 152 pounds. I dont count calorie coz its too stressful for me. However i recently started intermittent fasting that omad version and it seems to work on weekdays most of the time

• fatimasadoon2000
    Options
    sebedina wrote: »
    Have you thought that you might have a food intolerence??

Because when I eat certain things e.g. wheat, yeast I find that I cant stop eating the rest of the day and the day after. My appetite seems to triple magically.

I had a test recently where they found out that I am intolerent to YEAST and GLUTEN/WHEAT so I am following slimming world online but a gluten free/wheat free version of it.

I am keeping a food diary to monitor it. I am hoping to be eating around 1,500 calories a day plus going swimming and walking when I can.

Perhaps consider food intolerence as it is much more common than people realise.
    Thats very interesting. How would i know if i had food intolerance?
  • fatimasadoon2000
    Options
    What does overeating mean to you? Your post says you’re eating enough calories to wipe out your weekly deficit, but that it’s not binging. But how much weight to you have to lose? Or stick to a strict meal schedule? What do you do on weekends? What do you eat when you overeat? More details could really help.

I would usually go back and forth to the kitchen and eat from lunch leftovers and anythjng i can find such as cheese or chips. It doesnt necessarily have to be somethint unhealthy could be chicken also. I dont really do much on weekends i just stay home. And i need to losr around 25 pounds
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Get up and move. Go for a walk or run. Clean the kitchen. Clean your closet. Put on some music and dance. Go to the gym. Start a project that requires two hands. Activity serves two purposes: it distracts you from thinking about food, plus you burn some calories instead of ingesting them.

This only I have to get out of the house. If I stay I will eat. I get a big water bottle and walk till it is gone. This happens every few weeks.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Working out once a week isn’t going to cut it. Especially when you aren’t tracking your food calories either.

What is “stressful” about it to you? I understand it can be overwhelming at first, but you are unlikely to lose weight if you aren’t tracking what you are putting into your body.

Would you consider doing a test run of tracking? Take an average day, like today for instance, and log everything. Just to see where your “average” baseline is. It’s probably more than you think. Then even if you don’t log everything in the future, think back to “okay, I need to eat less than on that day.”

Also, if you can’t resist them, then don’t keep snack foods in the house. If you live with other people, see if they will only purchase snack foods that you don’t like (for instance, my husband keeps popcorn around the house and that doesn’t bother me because I don’t like popcorn. But I don’t “let” him buy Salt & Vinegar chips, my fave!)

When you feel like reaching for some food, ask yourself: What kind of hungry is this? Is it because I’m sad/stressed? Am I bored? Or am I actually truly hungry?

And find other things to do to satisfy the stressed/bored types. Drink some tea, take a hot bath, paint your nails.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    i berely workout, maybe once a week. Im 5'6 and i weigh around 152 pounds. I dont count calorie coz its too stressful for me. However i recently started intermittent fasting that omad version and it seems to work on weekdays most of the time

Why are you on a calorie counting site if you don't count calories? It sounds like intermittent fasting OMAD version is not working for you, a method should work for you ALL of the time.

You need to choose a weight loss method and stick to that. It requires one where you eat less food no matter how and when you choose to eat them. I agree upthread as well about keeping yourself busy, recognizing your eating triggers. Idea is to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible.