Did losing weight help your pain?

Options
Would love to hear your story.
Im 5'10 and 227 (goal 175-185). My weight yo-yo's a lot. Im trying to tell myself that losing weight will help with pain, but then the negative person in me says no it wont change anything. I have back (low back/SI joint), neck, and right knee pain. Im very active but have to modify exercises due to pain.
Im young and would love not to be in pain anymore.

Also did certain ways of eating help with pain? Not eating junk food, sugar, eating paleo, etc.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease that has caused arthritis in my hip. Losing weight has absolutely helped. Also moving a lot throughout the day and not letting it get so stiff helps. I walk a lot throughout the day for this.

It's challenging and limiting especially what I can do in a class where I live to workout but I stick with it and find it helpful in managing the pain and slowing the progression of the condition.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Having 80+ pounds less weight on my joints has definitely lessened pain. Both in my knees and lower back. Now, neither of those areas had any other issues like arthritis or anything, but I'd definitely have pain when having to get up and down off the floor, or walk a lot, etc.. Now I run and hike and walk and am infinitely more active without pain.

I don't restrict or add in anything food-wise, nor do I take any supplements, etc. So it has just been increased fitness and lower weight for me.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have a triple-twisted spine and an arthritic pelvis (thanks, parental neglect!)--scoliosis on steroids. Before I lost most of my weight (42 lbs), my flare-ups were more frequent and more painful. I don't have many limitations now; I can't run or lift more than 40 lbs. I used to be a lot more limited in things I was allowed to do. Being able to touch my toes whenever I feel like it without any pain is awesome.

I don't think any particular way of eating is going to help you. Eat what you like, just reasonable portions of it. The diet that works is the diet you stick to, not the one you suffer through. You're in pain; you're suffering enough :P
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yes, being lighter will provide less stress on your joints.

I can do much more 50lbs lighter than I did at 193lbs (I'm 5'11). The only pain I tend to have now is because I'm still large chested which pulls on my middle/upper back.

Strengthening your core muscles (aka getting on a lifting plan) will help greatly with your back. Any odd distribution of weight will tend to "throw your body out of wack" and cause pain.

As for exercise, do what you can. You'll find that diet (how much food/calories you eat) will impact losing weight much more than exercise, even though both are important.

Sugar, alcohol and caffeine tend to be the top three no-nos when it comes to reducing inflammation in joints in muscles (which is probably what is causing you pain). If you consume large amount of those 3 things, I'd think about reducing them.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    As far as diet, there's one way of eating call the anti-inflammatory diet which could be helpful in that aspect of your troubles. Keto also reduces inflammatory markers, and leads to a reduction in pain for some, but it's obviously more restrictive.

Have you tried physical therapy? It could help you resume more normal activity in the meantime, which could also be helpful in your weight loss.
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There was a similar question in the Success Stores thread a week or so ago, with lots of helpful replies and successes. It was titled: "Weight loss and less back pain?" and if you search using that, you will be able to read more positive examples of how it helps.
  • RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 389 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Losing weight helped my knees
    I also cut back on Sodium which reduces the fluid build up around my joints
    especially.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I've lost in total 125+ pounds and it's not helped pain. I hurt when I was underweight and I hurt when I was obese. What helped it was finding the causes of them and having a treatment plan for each cause. There was surgery and brutal physical therapy sessions for over a year. Not to discourage but to tell you that not everything is caused by weight and overweight people are constantly discriminated against by medical professionals who believe that the weight is the cause and not something else. For me and many others out there, it was indeed something else, or many other things.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100lbs and kept it off for years.

I'm 67 now. Before losing I couldn't walk more than 2 blocks because of low back pain. My knees and feet hurt.

I rarely have knee pain. Have this on/off relationship with Plantar Facsciitis. Some problems with my lower back.

The big difference is that my pains are usually the direct result of my active lifestyle. I could fix my feet by giving up Pickleball but don't plan on it.

My view of my low back pain is it has mostly to do with muscle tightness that I'm now fighting with yoga and massage therapy. It works.

And c'mon. For the negative argument to be true, banging an extra 40-50 lbs would have nothing to do with your knee or back pain. Is that what you really think?

Try an experiment, lose 40lbs, do some kind of therapeutic work to stretch your hamstrings and open your hips and see if it works. It's the only way. When that inner voice starts saying it won't work, tell the voice to shut up.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm about 15 lbs down and already my hips and knees are feeling better after jogging.
  • MoonriverDreamer
    MoonriverDreamer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing weight and changing the types of foods you eat, eliminating stress and getting enough rest at night will help. At my highest I was 340 lbs and in extreme pain. Had to hold my coffee cup with two hands and nearly cried everytime I had to turn the key in my front door. I had to sleep in a recliner propped up with pillows, etc. I took heavy duty drugs, injections and drips with scary side effects to ease the pain (was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and was terrified of my future). I went on a couple of diets (HCG and raw food diet). I lost about 45 lbs. both times and my pain level decreased each time. Several years ago I was laid off from a very high-pressure job. Lowered stress helped. Walking helped. Drinking lots of water, moving around frequently (sitting for long periods made it worse). I ran out of insurance and could no longer get the meds and was terrified, anticipating great pain. I was surprised when I just felt a little pain, especially during rainy and cold weather. I used 1 to 2 Aleve per day. Soon I was able to stop that because I'd researched foods that cause inflammation. I stopped eating red meats and stuck to chicken, turkey or fish. I ate more plants -- vegetables and fruit. I avoided pineapple and melons, ate fewer sugary foods, cut back on fried foods, ate more stirfry, etc. I just joined MFP a couple of weeks ago and began counting calories and reading the boards about different eating plans. I am now LCHF, have eliminated sugar and sugary fruits and recently went wheat-free (and have eliminated all forms of rice and such). I feel even better still and now walk a lot which helps. It couldn't hurt to give these things a try -- every 10 lbs. you lose with put so much less stress on your back, knees and feet! Good luck.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Losing weight has been a big help with knee pain. in the past I could barley walk to the street and back. Now I am back from walking 2 hours this morning.

Go for it, You have nothing to lose except pain and and a gain in energy and mobility.
    Roger
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disk disease, a bone spur on my lower spine, as well as pain in my right knee. I’ve been doing keto for a little over 3 months (lost 25 pounds), and it’s helped tremendously. I’ve also been taking cod liver oil daily. I haven’t started exercising yet, but when I did in the past, I remember the pain was really bad in the beginning, but lessened over time, and was much better as my body got stronger.
  • Kfont42
    Kfont42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've heard that losing weight can help with knee pain, and other people have talked to their doctor and been tested to see if there are certain foods causing them issues. One friend found out she has a gluten intolerance and has felt a great deal better (and lost more weight) after adjusting her diet accordingly.

For me, I had bad wrist and shoulder pain, but I started doing low weight, high rep workouts in order to tone my muscles as I lost weight, and my wrist and shoulder no longer bother me - in fact, I can actually do push ups and tricep workouts, which my wrist couldn't tolerate before. My knees still bother me from time to time if I do a lot of lunges and squats, but I think that pain has improved overall as well. Good luck with your fitness journey!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Would love to hear your story.
    Im 5'10 and 227 (goal 175-185). My weight yo-yo's a lot. Im trying to tell myself that losing weight will help with pain, but then the negative person in me says no it wont change anything. I have back (low back/SI joint), neck, and right knee pain. Im very active but have to modify exercises due to pain.
    Im young and would love not to be in pain anymore.

Also did certain ways of eating help with pain? Not eating junk food, sugar, eating paleo, etc.

Thanks in advance

I was trying to recover from a back injury last year (slipped on some ice and inflamed my ligaments, it degenerated further because my feet over-pronate and caused my pelvis and knee to twist out place) I was back and forth to the chiropractor for a couple of months before we did a gait scan and discovered the issue with my feet. Since then I realised that the extra weight I was carrying wasn't helping matters so in November I started using MFP properly, got some insoles to correct my back, started eating at a deficit and started some low impact cardio and strength training. I got an assessment and new gait scan in April and my back is spot on and I have corrected my over-pronation. I put most of this down to the strength training and improving the muscle strength in my back and my knee.

I have had the odd twinge since from long drives (old car with heavy steering) but otherwise I have been mostly pain-free since.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Before losing weight, I was seriously contemplating being evaluated for fibromyalgia or some other chronic condition. I was also having mobility issues with joint pain in my knees & ankles, and a decent case of plantar fasciitis. I decided to see if I could improve things first by losing weight. I never had to make that appt. It really made me wonder how many Drs' visits are simply weight related complaints (I did go through upper GI testing for ongoing reflux & nausea, and the weight loss cured that too). I know the opposite is occasionally true- some doctors assume everything is weight related and aren't inclined to look beyond that- but what's the harm in tackling 20 lbs or so first & seeing what happens? One of the friends on my list started MFP with terrible disc issues, sleeping in her recliner, having regular cortisone injections, and facing surgery. She hasn't had to have that surgery and she now regularly participates in 5Ks. It's very cheap medicine. Neither of us ate a specific diet, but I don't discount the idea that dietary modifications can help. I believe the Arthritis Foundation has anti-inflammatory diet guidelines on their website.

BTW, I'm 48 (was about 45 when I started), 5'9", and have lost a total of about 70 lbs in fits & starts from a high of 275. Still have a ways to go, and I know the improvements will keep coming. I really look forward to feeling my age eventually :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease that has caused arthritis in my hip. Losing weight has absolutely helped. Also moving a lot throughout the day and not letting it get so stiff helps. I walk a lot throughout the day for this.

It's challenging and limiting especially what I can do in a class where I live to workout but I stick with it and find it helpful in managing the pain and slowing the progression of the condition.

Same here, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, previous herniated discs, one laminectomy under my belt, one knee repair, one other bad knee, etc. Having 120lbs less weight on my body has helped immensely. There are even days I am not in pain, then there are days where I ache anyway due to obvious reasons. But before I lost the weight I lived with pain every. single. day. Will it cure all of your pain? Probably not. Will it help? Yup.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It will help I have a lower back injury due to a car accident and when I lost a majority of the weight I started weight training and I have noticed a huge difference in the level of pain I was experiencing.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The right answer is maybe. It depends on the cause of your pain. When you're overweight, you're absolutely putting more stress on your joints, so it may exacerbate joint pain. Losing weight will not make arthritis in the joint magically go away. A lot of pain is related to immobility. Are you moving more as you lose weight? That may help your pain, but it's not the weight loss per se, it's the increased movement. Pain is complicated. You might consider talking to your doctor and getting a referral to a physical therapist. They can help you address those non weight related pain issues and help you develop a plan to be more active while minimizing your pain.