Diary Snacks

Options
Hello!

Does anyone use the Snacks section in the Diary? When do you use it? I am not certain when I should write down anything under Snacks. Is it even necessary? I would assume not, but I would like to see if anyone see a purpose in this? I put all my desserts and fruits under Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner because I usually eat it after my meal.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you don’t want to log anything in snacks, you can go to your diary settings and remove that meal slot. It’s a default setting, but you can have anywhere from one to six meal slots and rename them any way you’d like.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I do. I love my snacks...and desserts...and in order to keep from over filling and then starving, I'll stretch everything throughout the day if I can. So yeah, I used the snacks part.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I use it to log anything that is not breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert directly after one of those. Coffee with milk, the sweets we had at group meeting today, a piece of chocolate I eat to get up my blood sugar, fruit snacks in between meals, you name it. Anything that is not part of any meal and that I ate any time during the day. But if you don't snack, don't use it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I log my afternoon snack and pre workout snacks. Any supper goes in with dinner.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Do you eat between meals? IF so ... where do you put those foods to get your total calorie intake for the day? That's what I use 'snacks' for.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I plan most of my meals so I put anything that falls outside of that plan into snacks. Those are calories I didn't plan for but I have to be able to track them and make them work anyway.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If "snacks" bothers you so much why don't you just change your diary headers to what you do like - remove snacks if you want. There's no MFP police that come after you for personalizing the diary to fit your needs/wants/desires. Do what works for you.
  • AwesomeHealth
    AwesomeHealth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was not sure how to use it. I will try to put my snacks from the day there and see how I like it. If not, I will remove it. Not sure why I felt confused about it. Thanks.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Does anyone use the Snacks section in the Diary? When do you use it? I am not certain when I should write down anything under Snacks. Is it even necessary? I would assume not, but I would like to see if anyone see a purpose in this? I put all my desserts and fruits under Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner because I usually eat it after my meal.

You can change those names to whatever you want, that will fit best for you.

These are mine for instance:
    66ec1aahxmrt.png
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    It's totally a personal choice where to log things and what to call them. I've seen some diaries where people removed all the meals and just called it Good Eats or something like that.

I've re-named mine to coincide with my normal daily eating habits, so I have 4 meals listed plus Snacks/Drinks at the end. Anything that's not really a "meal" per se goes there. Nibbles throughout the day, sample bites at the grocery, after dinner chocolate square, supplements and those evening wine spritzers that extend beyond dinner.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Since snacking is my biggest problem, I do keep track of anything afternoon or evening that is not actually a meal. For me these can be healthy snacks like raw vegies/dip, fruit, nuts, beef jerky, cheese and crackers, a diet dessert cup (pudding, Jello, ice cream), smoothie, or rarely something high calorie I just have to have. With the separate category I can look at the weekly view and quickly see the percentage spent on snacking each day (about 15-20% for me). I save 200 calories every evening for after dinner. It keeps me in check to stick to my numbers. The other category I added is alcohol because I like to track when I've had a glass or two of wine and how it affects my overall day. I have calorie objectives for each meal that I try to stick to all day long to keep on track, so adding snacks to meals would screw me up.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm actually thinking a about going in the opposite direction and just having 1 lump category of "food". I notice as I've done this for a while I'm less concerned about where it's logged so long as it is logged.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've come across some amusing named "events" in the diary. Have fun with yours! Me? I named a couple with utilitarian names "pre-workout" and "post-workout", then I quit working out.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just use it to list my keto coffees and supplements, along with the occasional antacid. I hadn't really thought about it, but I've not been snacking at all since I've been doing the keto thing... I don't have any food cravings anymore to make me want to snack.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic so I eat 3 main meals and 2 to 3 snacks a day. I re named my meals to.... Meal1, Meal2, Meal3 etc. I have an open diary if you want to take a look. As I eat throughout the day, I just go to the next Meal.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I consider dessert a snack. The glass of milk I have before bed is a snack. My 2 a.m. slice of cheese is a snack. Post or pre- run banana is a snack. Anything that isn't a meal, is a snack. I probably eat more calories in snacks than in my meals, most days.