Juicing/smoothies?

Options
heathervo
heathervo Posts: 36 Member
Hi all. Trying to get back on track here. 2 years ago I was doing great with MFP but I lost focus. I used to use my nutribullet for smoothies as a meal replacement and am considering doing that again. I didn’t do it for every meal though. I’m curious if anyone has done a juicing reboot type thing and if you have ever gotten good/fast results and if you recommend it at all or no. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You were doing great on mfp 2 years ago? You seem to have missed that there's no such thing as rebooting your system. You just start eating at a calorie deficit.

If you like smoothies and they fit in your calories you'll lose weight.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What is a reboot meant to do? Your body does not know if you are eating 60 calories of apple or 60 calories of blended-to-liquid apple. It will have the exact same result on your weight loss. The only benefit I can see for smoothies over solid food is if you loathe something that contains a nutrient that you want to eat more of, like using smoothies to get more spinach in your diet.

Juicing, as I understand it, pulverizes the fruit/veg/whatever and then extracts the liquidiest bits. That is super wasteful-- throwing out a lot of the fibre that would otherwise do your body good. Juicing also makes it harder to count calories.
  • heathervo
    Options
    You were doing great on mfp 2 years ago? You seem to have missed that there's no such thing as rebooting your system. You just start eating at a calorie deficit.

If you like smoothies and they fit in your calories you'll lose weight.

Thanks for the reply. I am not referring to rebooting my system. I am asking for the people who would be familiar with juicing because yes, that’s what they call it.
  • heathervo
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    What is a reboot meant to do? Your body does not know if you are eating 60 calories of apple or 60 calories of blended-to-liquid apple. It will have the exact same result on your weight loss. The only benefit I can see for smoothies over solid food is if you loathe something that contains a nutrient that you want to eat more of, like using smoothies to get more spinach in your diet.

Juicing, as I understand it, pulverizes the fruit/veg/whatever and then extracts the liquidiest bits. That is super wasteful-- throwing out a lot of the fibre that would otherwise do your body good. Juicing

Honestly I see the reboot as a quick way to drop some pounds but I don’t know if there’s more to it as far as maybe detoxing a little. This is why I’m asking if anyone has had experience with it. I feel like once you do it for a week or so, you’re still going to go back and eat solid food and gain back whatever you may have lost but I don’t know. I’m curious if anyone has done it and liked or succeeded at it.
    Yes I did the smoothies so I could add some greens that I wasn’t getting in otherwise so that was good. I agree juicing seems wasteful. The nutribullet uses the whole fruit it veggie. No messy clean up either! Lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They call it a "reboot" because that is great marketing and better than saying "this is completely unsustainable and you'll gain all the weight back you lost while juicing so you need to do it over and over again each time you get fat."

Incorporating smoothies into your eating plan is fine. I'm less into juicing because it removes the fiber, etc....
  • heathervo
    Options
    They call it a "reboot" because that is great marketing and better than saying "this is completely unsustainable and you'll gain all the weight back you lost while juicing so you need to do it over and over again each time you get fat."

Incorporating smoothies into your eating plan is fine. I'm less into juicing because it removes the fiber, etc....

Lol this is kinda what I was thinking, thanks.
    That’s why I was wondering if there was anyone out there this actually worked for but I think you’re right.
    I agree the juicing removes the fiber. The nutribullet keeps it all in there. I really have only ever done the smoothie as a breakfast replacement and it helped to add veggies to my diet.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I have a "smoothie" drink for weekday lunch.... helps supplement my really really bad habit of not eating enough of my veggies. I add some whey protein, phyto berry and frozen strawberries/blueberries. Seems to fill me up ok and I work it into my calorie goal. I keep my Nutri Ninja & fixings at work.
    I add some trail mix for a mid afternoon snack and am good to go. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, all those juice cleanses just cause you to lose some water weight, which comes back on once you start eating like a normal person again. And makes you hangry :tongue:

All those quick start/reboot/detox/ cleanse things just look successful because of water weight swings. Just get back on track and take some time to find a way to eat that you enjoy and keeps you feeling satisfied at the right calorie level. Good luck!
  • heathervo
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, all those juice cleanses just cause you to lose some water weight, which comes back on once you start eating like a normal person again. And makes you hangry :tongue:

All those quick start/reboot/detox/ cleanse things just look successful because of water weight swings. Just get back on track and take some time to find a way to eat that you enjoy and keeps you feeling satisfied at the right calorie level. Good luck!

Thanks!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't 'juice', although I often have a smoothie for breakfast. I construct it to be a hearty meal replacement with plenty of fat and protein. Simply that juicing strips away the fiber is reason enough for me to avoid juicing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only juicing I do is my convenient low sodium V8 with my breakfast. Not really into the smoothie trend either...the only time I've made them are when I was doing a lot of big endurance riding and I had a 1,000 calorie smoothie recipe for recovery from long rides...it was the easiest way to get in a *kitten* ton of calories in a hurry, especially since eating actual food after a ride like that wasn't particularly appetizing.