TIP/TRICK How to control ice cream portion sizes

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    So, for those of us unable to get Halo Top, does anyone have a reasonable estimate of what 1 serving of normal ice cream weighs? Don't need exact, but ball park. So if a serving is 125 ml, what would a close weight be? Is the 4 oz (converted to grams) mentioned above close?

Might have to look for the Cool Whey stuff.

If the label doesn't have a weight, could you scrape it out, weigh it, then divide by the number of serves? (or if it's a brand you have regularly, weigh an empty container and then weigh a full container and work it out that way?)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    So, I've got Western Family Maple Walnut in the freezer. 1/2 cup is 150 calories.

If I melt some and pour out a 1/2 cup and weigh it, can I use that weight as a guide? Or maybe go for 100 grams?

Might need to play later in the day (ice cream at 6 am doesn't appeal to me, want coffee).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    So, I've got Western Family Maple Walnut in the freezer. 1/2 cup is 150 calories.

If I melt some and pour out a 1/2 cup and weigh it, can I use that weight as a guide? Or maybe go for 100 grams?

Might need to play later in the day (ice cream at 6 am doesn't appeal to me, want coffee).

Affogato is delicious ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    So, for those of us unable to get Halo Top, does anyone have a reasonable estimate of what 1 serving of normal ice cream weighs? Don't need exact, but ball park. So if a serving is 125 ml, what would a close weight be? Is the 4 oz (converted to grams) mentioned above close?

If the label doesn't have a weight, could you scrape it out, weigh it, then divide by the number of serves? (or if it's a brand you have regularly, weigh an empty container and then weigh a full container and work it out that way?)

It's a 1.89l box. @ 125ml per serving, it takes a bit to go through.
  • Tacklewasher

Affogato is delicious ;)

Had to google that.
  • Tacklewasher

So, available at a gym I don't use, a weight loss clinic that looks iffy and some place with no website.

Where do you buy it?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Can you splurge on it, once a week, or once every so often, so you do not feel deprived, instead of finding tips and tricks...icecream is my feasting go to...and I do not do it by halves. In the UK I think we have oppo which is lower in sugar and fat...I tend to prefer the full fat (made with cream) versions though...

Otherwise, just weigh it on the scale like everything else...
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    They sell those tiny single serving ice creams containers in the stores around here.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member

My brand shows 1 serving= 62 grams. When I eat ice cream (not very often because I don't care much for it), I scoop 50 or 60 grams That is enough for me.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

So, available at a gym I don't use, a weight loss clinic that looks iffy and some place with no website.

Where do you buy it?

I have found it at Longos, Freshco and Metro (I'm in Ontario). It is also at Popeyes and some smaller supplement stores - both those are hit and miss. Metro regularly has it on sale for 4.99 and coolwhey regularly has $1 off coupons - so 3.99 - pricier then regular icecream but tastes amazing! Chocolate chip is my fav, vanilla is ok, salted caramel is pretty good too (have never been able to find the coconut one in stores).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

It really depends on the brand. Talenti is usually around 100 g for a half cup, but some kinds are more blown up so have less ice cream for the same volume.
  • nicolega2001
    nicolega2001 Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2017
    I've just been buying Halo Top so that I can get that ice cream fix without worrying about if I will go overboard. It tastes good, but not AS good as the full fat stuff, so I don't feel like I want to eat as much.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Tacklewasher 64 grams (1/2 cup) of Breyers M&Ms Blast is 140 calories. Actually better that Halo Top and tons cheaper!
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    edited October 2017
    That is my tip too...put it in a cone! Ice cream is my downfall and I try to keep it out of the house. But for those times that I don't...
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Whenever I have ice cream at home, I use a "custard cup" glass bowl which holds exactly 1/2 cup which is a serving. That is the only bowl I use for ice cream, no exceptions because I know it's the correct portion.

If I happen to go out for ice cream, I ask for a kid's scoop, even if it's not on the menu. Most of the time, it's an option if you ask!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I really need to find this halo top stuff......ice cream has always been a weak spot for me.

I get my fix now by running out to McDonalds and ordering a soft vanilla cone. 230 cals or so and it is just enough for me (note the sizes vary depending on who makes it!!!) At least this way seconds are not an option.

If soft serve scratches your itch, then Halo Top might not do it for you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I either weigh out a portion or I buy a pint only and make sure I have enough calories left (or banked from other days) to allow me to eat the entire pint.

Yep.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    fittocycle wrote: »
    Whenever I have ice cream at home, I use a "custard cup" glass bowl which holds exactly 1/2 cup which is a serving. That is the only bowl I use for ice cream, no exceptions because I know it's the correct portion.

If I happen to go out for ice cream, I ask for a kid's scoop, even if it's not on the menu. Most of the time, it's an option if you ask!

This. Most ice cream places will have one size below small for kids, even if they don't show it on the menu/display. It's usually just big enough to fit one 1/2 cup scoop (about 250 calories) worth.
  • Tacklewasher

Weighed it out. 1 cup (2 servings) was ~180 grams for 300 cals. So I guess I used to eat 5-6 servings?
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    edited October 2017

This might be a different brand but still helpful: https://www.cartedor.co.uk/products.

They have all kind of different types and flavours on their website and list 100ml AND 100g for each. So with some math you can calculate how much grams you get per 100ml. Perhaps there is something similar to your ice cream there.

Eg. classic vanilla ice cream comes out at 50.25g per 100ml

Or Lemon Sorbet is 64.17g per 100ml

Or Triple Chocolate Parfait is 61.9g per 100ml

As I said, your ice cream might be a bit different but perhaps it helps for a rough estimate.