Gastroparesis and trying to lose weight

Options
Does anyone else have digestive motility issues, like gastroparesis? This is where your stomach muscles prevent proper stomach emptying. This can be chronic or people can have symptoms "flare-ups." I get symptom flair-ups and my digestion will basically become very slow. A lot of people lose weight, but some people find it difficult to do so, which is true in my case. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    @cefleischman I'm so sorry you're having to deal with GP! I had ideopathic GP for a couple of years back about 5 or 6 years ago and it was awful! I first lost a lot of weight....funny how that happens when you can't eat! But once my symptoms started to resolve, I gained a lot of it back very quickly. It was kind of amazing how quickly we went from talking about feeding tubes to being told to watch my gains! I lost a lot of muscle mass when my symptoms were more severe, which didn't help matters any, too. That led to the first of a couple of attempts to try and get back to some kind of normal.

I found it incredibly difficult to lose weight, mainly I think because of my dietary restrictions. I greatly limited fat and fiber to avoid stressing my stomach. That left limited options. I remember I supplemented a lot of protein. I used Syntrax Nectar, which mixes up like a juice and not like a milkshake, so it didn't make me feel as stuffed when I drank it. I'd also eat very lean proteins like chicken and turkey breasts, but sparingly, especially at first. I ate a lot of "salad" made up of what I call the watery vegetables--cucumber, tomato, maybe bell pepper chopped together, no greens and minimal add-ins. I also made a lot of vegetable juices and eventually smoothies. The real troublemakers weight-wise were the simple carbs I had to choose instead of whole grain options. Lots of white rice, white bread...all that stuff. Just like with regular weight-loss it's high calorie for the satisfaction level.

Have you identified triggers for your flare-ups? Even now, I have to watch how much and how often I eat popcorn, dried fruit/trail mix/granola type things, and those whole grains like quinoa and farro. More than a little of any of those will always slow me down. I think the key is working around whatever the triggers are to come up with a cadre of foods that you can consistently and comfortably eat. Once I had a set of "reliable" foods, then I could look at calories and quantities and how often to eat. It was a really slow process though, with a lot of trial and error.

I completely empathize with your struggle--feel free to add and message me if I can help!
  • cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses! It's difficult to narrow-down my problem foods because sometimes I feel okay eating one thing and the next time I eat it there's an issue. BUT I think I can definitely say dried fruit, over-ripe fruit (like bananas-basically anything with high fructose), wheat, and dairy are not good for my digestive system.
    I'm fairly new to gastroparesis, it's most likely an issue because I have a neurological illness called dysautonomia. So the nerves that regulate digestion can go a little haywire. Interestingly, the biggest culprit of my flare-ups seems to be stress as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you feel that going wheat/gluten and dairy free can help, then use non-milk gluten free products.
    Consider pinterest.com where you can use search words for recipe ideas.
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have similar digestive issues! Its rough sometimes but luckily there a many foods I love the taste of that don't bother me. Lets be pals!
  • emmytons
    emmytons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been trying to figure out how to eat with gastroparesis since July 2016; it’s not easy and seems to change daily. And, I’m having a hard time getting my weight down too. I know what you’re going through!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't have gastroparesis but I have active Crohn's-inflammation and a stricture (narrowing) -at my gastroduodenal junction (where the stomach empties into the small intestine) which gives me gastroparesis/partial obstruction type symptoms. My Crohn's only moved there a few months ago so I'm new to this.
  • Smurphdoggy
    Smurphdoggy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have gastroparesis and have put on 50+ lbs trying to figure out what I can eat and what I can't. It seems difficult to pin down, but I have less problems when I eat white breads, rice, fast foods, donuts, and cake (as you can probably figure out why I've gained so much weight!). I, so far, cannot eat any raw or semi raw veggies or fruit of any kind. I've been resorted to meals of diced chicken and yogurt. I'm at a total loss as to how to lose weight. I'm right there with you! Let me know if you figure out how to eat and not be in agony!
  • kattzco
    kattzco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have GP! I have gained 80lbs and am tired of ppl saying "just eat more fruits and vegetables".
    It's tough to loose the weight! Good luck to you!