Overnight Oats Assistance

Options
1meh
1meh Posts: 94 Member
I’ve been buying overnight oats pre made and want to try my own. The recipes call for steel cut oats. Quaker makes Old Fashion and Quick 1 minute oats (both are steel cut). Does anybody know the better choice? Thanks!!!

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Better? Well, it's the same stuff, right? Oats. The "Quick" ones are mostly pre-cooked though. How much effort do you want to put into them? Do you have some particular thing you wanna do with the prep that takes a lot of time?
  • 1meh
    Options
    I have no issues spending time. I just don’t want to do it wrong. None of the recipes I found specified which I should use. Just says to mix the dry ingredients, add milk the night before, and they’ll be ready to eat in the morning.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Quick oats are more finely chopped - id use them, or rolled oats if you want a chunkier consistency.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats a ton and always use the classic Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. I’ve played with the ratios and my favorite follows (most recipes were too thick for me, I like my oats a touch looser)...

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (any liquid works)
    1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
    1 pinch salt
    sweetener (I use liquid sucralose, like Splenda Zero, to save calories but substitute whatever your go-to choice is)

Add-ins, play with all sorts of flavorings (1 or more)...
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2-3 tablespoons peanut powder (like PB2)
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    2 tablespoons shredded coconut
    etc.

I put all of the ingredients in a sealable jar and shake it vigorously, comes up perfect the next morning! Usually top it off with some berries or slices of banana.

• missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I make it I mix it all together but the oats and fruit. Then the liquid mixture I do with a 2:1 ratio to the oats. Then I add fruits if that one has fruits. I use regular old fashioned oats. I make 6 days at a time usually.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I make mine with added Protein so, 50 grams of porridge oats, not quick cook as they can go too mushy for my liking) and 25g of Vanilla whey powder. 100g greek yogurt 0% fat and a splash of milk and then stir and leave overnight. I normally go honey sultana and apple or nutella and banana or peanut and banana the next day. If you add a bit more milk the next morning i add some berries and microwave and thats a nice hot option.
  • Wednesday_Mouse
    Wednesday_Mouse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Either will be fine for overnight oats.

My personal recipe:

½ cup oats
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    3oz frozen fruit
    1 cup plant milk
    1 tbsp agave nectar

Load it all up into a sealable jar, leave in the fridge overnight. Next morning, I grab the jar and take it to work, eating the oats out of the jar at my desk. So easy and straightforward. They also keep for 2 – 3 days, so you can make a batch up at once.

Also.. they’re really good for an easy hiking lunch! They’re compact, but healthy and filling, and won’t get squashed like sandwiches.

• Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I always use old fashioned oats in overnight oats.
  • 1meh
    Options
    It made my day to not only wake up to the answer, but new recipes to try. Thanks!!!