Always cold

Options
pkweier
pkweier Posts: 349 Member
Has anyone else experience this, before I lost all my weight the less clothes the better now the more clothes the better. I can't seem to get warm.

Pam

Replies

• Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ooft, I'm right there with you! I'm definitely always layered up just now & rarely seem to be without a hot drink. Did find when I first began losing weight that I was cold AND tired simply because I wasn't eating enough...all I wanted to do was sleep. But the type of cold I feel now really is just because I have less "insulation". On the plus side, it motivates me to move because I always feel pleasantly warmer after a workout. Hopefully our bodies will get used to it...
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it doesn't help that my office is kept sort of too freaking cold. So I always have layers to put on and I find that about 30 seconds into a one minute plank I get nice and warm. A mug of hot water also does the trick for me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    It may be just the loss of protective/insulatory fat... Or it can be a sign of low thyroid function (which may happen during dieting...)
  • pkweier
    Options
    Thanks everyone at that is what I assumed I lost all my insulation. Once I get moving I am find Learning to keep a sweater with me at all times
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    PREACH! Though I will admit, this year I have been warmer, so I think (hope) my body is adapting to having less insulation.

That being said, I froze most of last winter/spring/early summer - so I have plenty of cardis in different weights, scarves, and other things I tend to still bring with me in case I get the shivers.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Same here! I live in Michigan even....I just layer up and drink some hot coffee, warms my soul :p hehe
  • aligazali3497
    aligazali3497 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I’m not even done and I feel so cold at night especially it’s ridiculous..
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    After I lost my initial 40lbs I couldn't believe how cold I was! I still have 60lbs more to go and I'm looking forward to the changes my body will go through....yes, even being cold all the time!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I sit on a heating pad at work lol. I'm also directly under an air vent that turns my hands into ice cubes so I have to sit on them every once in a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Well, fat is an insulator...sooooo
  • ys6108
    ys6108 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm getting better about feeling cold - getting used to having less insulation, I guess. Conversely, though, I don't get as overheated as I used to when I go to the gym so I can work out longer.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It may be just the loss of protective/insulatory fat... Or it can be a sign of low thyroid function (which may happen during dieting...)

I was going to say this, but hypothyroidism also actually (typically) lowers body temperature. If your temp runs around normal, you likely don't need to worry about it. If you're freezing when it's 75º in the room, and your temp is consistently under 97, get checked out for it.
  • pkweier
    Options
    Thanks everyone I see I'm not alone. When it's 75 I'm fine. I used to be able to stand being outside in the 40s with just a jacket not so much now
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That's good, because hypothyroid meds are a royal PITA, lol.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Most commonly, being cold chronically is a sign of iron-deficiency and/or anemia. And, as you know, women are prone to being iron deficient.
    Do you know your iron status? Do you eat much red meat? Or spinach?
    You might want to check that. Many very skinny people do not complain of being constantly and/or unreasonably cold.
    It's kind of an easy fix if that is what it is.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I was cold before I lost weight. I am still cold.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too. I am always cold now thanks to not having so much insulation. And no, there's nothing medically wrong with me to cause me to be cold. I just don't have as much fat anymore.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!