Does anyone have one of those airfryers?

2»

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    we LOVE,LOVE,LOVE our air fryer. The most used appliance in our kitchen!!
  • Italiandiva38
    Italiandiva38 Posts: 18 Member
    I own the Nuwave Brio air fryer which is a 3.5 quart capacity. A friend recommended it to me a while ago and finally made the purchase a little more than six months ago. One of the best kitchen appliances I own! Love it!rio19ht20gnx.jpg
    7zxfwjqpup36.jpg
    0jigbjcfi6ik.jpg
    chx43hai713t.jpg
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited July 2017
    The philips air fryer is a heated coil with a fan. It is physically and literally a toaster oven with circulated air. Food is not capable of tasting "fried" unless it is seasoned/battered and cooked with a liquid fat. At that point a toaster oven would yeild a very similar result.

There is nothing magical here.

Totally need a dislike button here.

I have made numerous things in my AF that taste just like they were deep fried. Not sure why you are hating on the AF so badly, maybe you have good reason, but you can't equate an AF and a toaster oven - so totally not the same.

Really misleading. If you batter something of course it's going to retain the flavor. The physical components of an air fryer are a toaster oven with a fan. Take with that what you will. I battered some chicken and it came out crispy in my air fryer too, but the results were barely different from using an oven. In fact pan frying on a ceramic pan will yield a crisper more flavor full product because of the higher heat and better carmalization of sugars and fats.

A solid product should be able to withstand a pragmatic real world review without needing a "dislike" button.

The airfryer might be a great buy who don't have general cooking skills that can't get the same results in a pan or oven.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2017
    So I got my air fryer and tested it on chicken breasts and rissois (portuguese fish croquettes).

First, it does not fry the same as a deep fryer.

The chicken breasts, seasoned as when I cook them in the oven, were ready in 15 minutes, had a nice color and where juicy and tasty, a bit as a pan fried chicken breast.

The croquettes were tasty and slightly crispy, I did coat them in canola oil, but their color and crispiness were not the same as when I deep fry them. I think the temperature is not high enough. They were ready in 10 minutes.

So from my very limited experience:

cons: it does not deep fry as a real deep fryer. More like pan fried, and even then, pan frying gives a more "golden" color.

pros: it uses way less oil than the deep fryer or pan fryer: yay for calories! it is very easy to clean! it is faster and uses less energy than the oven. The food is less dry too.

For now I am happy I bought it. Thank you for your reviews, positive (made me buy it and gave me ideas) and negative (managed my expectations).
  • Clawsal
    I own the Nuwave Brio air fryer which is a 3.5 quart capacity. A friend recommended it to me a while ago and finally made the purchase a little more than six months ago. One of the best kitchen appliances I own! Love it!rio19ht20gnx.jpg
    7zxfwjqpup36.jpg
    0jigbjcfi6ik.jpg
    chx43hai713t.jpg

That chicken looks so tasty :smile: I have to try fries on mine, see if they are as golden.
  • Clawsal
    slim4lyf wrote: »
    I have a 2 people household after the kids moved out and believe in down sizing my appliances as well. The large ones were too big for my personal use plus use up a lot of space . I bought the smaller Black and Decker during thanksgiving sales last year which is still making more fries than I should eat :-) but I use it a lot . I do not bake sweets in it but i use it for meat balls as well as veggie burgers ,chicken Breast , Pork tenderloin etc. Bakes faster with lower heat . There are a ton of links and ideas on Pinterest . I even use it to warm up frozen baguette and it turns out great . Unless you have a family to feed I would go smaller . ( this is from a "seasoned" cook )

Yes, I bought a smaller model because I am only cooking for myself and I don't like re-heating food, specially fried food (bye, bye crispiness). I hope that I will be able to use it on frozen bread (until now I felt guilty heating the whole oven for a bun, so I baked several, then ate several). So many ideas!!
  • Italiandiva38
    Italiandiva38 Posts: 18 Member
    Clawsal wrote: »
    7zxfwjqpup36.jpg
    0jigbjcfi6ik.jpg
    chx43hai713t.jpg

That chicken looks so tasty :smile: I have to try fries on mine, see if they are as golden.

They were delicious!
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    LindaCan2 wrote: »
    I highly recommend the Philips regular size analog. Watch for it on Amazon for great price. It tastes like "fried" if you use the Philips.

No no it does not. Come on. Here is a test. Put your hand inside you so called "fryer" and see if you get burned. Now do the same into a pot of hot oil (actually dont do this) but you see what the difference is and why the air fryer will never be a real fryer?

Seriously? If you could put your hand inside the air fryer while it's on, you most assuredly will be burned. I preferred a more meaningful test. Actually comparing the results of a deep fat fryer to an air fryer. Wings, hot dogs, french fries, turkey breast, "fried" chicken. For my taste and my money, the results were identical except I didn't have nearly the clean up with the air fryer. But hey...that's my taste and my money. If you or anyone else don't think air fryers perform as well as a deep fat fryer, then I applaud your decision not to get one.
  • suzannekaye56
    suzannekaye56 Posts: 1 Member
    Aren't the airfryersTeflon coated? I wouldn't think that would be the healthiest way to cook food.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    YUM! lets get cooking!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I use the Big Boss Air Fryer and while it doesn't taste exactly like deep fried, I think it tastes BETTER. Crispy french fries, chicken, etc without the greasy residue.
  • kellieinkc
    kellieinkc Posts: 34 Member
    I highly recommend the Philips regular size analog. Watch for it on Amazon for great price. It tastes like "fried" if you use the Philips.

No no it does not. Come on. Here is a test. Put your hand inside you so called "fryer" and see if you get burned. Now do the same into a pot of hot oil (actually dont do this) but you see what the difference is and why the air fryer will never be a real fryer?

Seriously? If you could put your hand inside the air fryer while it's on, you most assuredly will be burned. I preferred a more meaningful test. Actually comparing the results of a deep fat fryer to an air fryer. Wings, hot dogs, french fries, turkey breast, "fried" chicken. For my taste and my money, the results were identical except I didn't have nearly the clean up with the air fryer. But hey...that's my taste and my money. If you or anyone else don't think air fryers perform as well as a deep fat fryer, then I applaud your decision not to get one.

Unless you're touching something you'd likely be fine. Liquid conducts heat much more than air does. Which is why you can stick your hand in a 450 degree oven but not a pot of boiling water).
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    kellieinkc wrote: »

Unless you're touching something you'd likely be fine. Liquid conducts heat much more than air does. Which is why you can stick your hand in a 450 degree oven but not a pot of boiling water).

Whatever. For those of you who disdain air "fryers" because you can't immediately burn yourselves in hot oil, then as I've already said, don't buy them. Won't keep me from enjoying the meals I prepare in mine.

• Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited October 2017
    I have a GoWise. I'm mostly happy with it. It works well for the things I cook in it: tofu, roasted vegetables, potatoes, and Gardein products. I like being able to get crispy tofu without pan frying and having to babysit it. Roasted vegetables and potatoes are done in about half the time my oven takes, and without heating up the whole house. When I cut the potatoes into fries, I think the texture is better than what I'd get out of the oven, and at any rate, it's faster.

I have had issues with stuff sticking to it, a problem others do not report even over long periods of use. I'm not sure what I am doing that is causing problems, as I'm on my second basket with sticking problems.
  • dayzeyblue
    dayzeyblue Posts: 15 Member
    I have a GoWise...use it a lot. I also have a toaster oven w/ Convection and have to say that the Air fryer is just easier faster and bigger. I use it a lot for processed items that are frozen boxed items (under 250cals per)that I do not want to add more garbage to by frying in oil so I air fry these and they come out excellent....when i use the toaster oven seems to burn the outside before It heats the middle so i usually have to microwave first to use toaster oven so I just use the Air fryer. I will say my SO is a fried food fiend and only some of the items will work from him out of the air fryer but more than he realizes. For example....tater tots/crowns he doesn't even see a difference from air fryer to oil fryer BUT on shoestring fries the air fryer is a no go for him, but probably just the brand. But many times I have subbed in the air fryer for the oil fryer for him and he hasn't noticed but I do have to use more canola spray on his food than I do mine in the air fryer which is better than having to cook 2 different ways. I also love to cook a couple chicken tenders or a single pork chop from frozen for lunch VERY quickly in the airwise....usually flip it mid way but super fast easy...sometimes i even just sprinkle my tender w/ a splash of skim milk and some seasoned breadcrumbs...gives it a crispy tender vibe w/out the all the added ingredients/cals. In my opinion I think it was worth the purchase and I use it anywhere from 2 to 10x a week. Good luck to all
  • Boopers60
    Boopers60 Posts: 3 Member
    I got a Phillips air fryer for Christmas and I love it. I live alone and it’s perfect for cooking for one.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I find ours irreplaceable for things like frozen fries, vegan foods (chikn nuggets, burgers, etc) and I even made some of those bob evans mashed potatoes in it and they got such a nice crisp layer on top. We refer to it as a 'convection' oven though, and never expect stuff to be 'deep fried' crispy, but with enough time it does a fabulous job on almost anything.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    I just got one for $15.99 for review, so for that I'll try it.