Completely lost . . .

Options
I have joined the local gym. Actually did that in March, but haven't tried the weights. I go every day, but stick to the cardio machines. To be honest, it comes down to the fact that I don't want to look stupid. Any suggestions for web sites or the like for a plan?? Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Replies

• JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I feel you there! I SO wanna use the weigh training machine, but I haven't the first clue about them! And I also have that fear of looking stupid....I would appreciate tips too!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Does the gym offer personal trainers at all? If so even one lesson with one will help.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ask if your gym has someone who can teach you or if you get a free session with a personal trainer/fitness assessment (lots of gyms offer them).
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I actually feel the same way. I stick with small weights/push ups/crunches at my place because of it. :(

And this is in my building's gym, so there are no trainers.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I use WorkoutBOX.com. It;s a purchase program, but I got mine for less than a 1.20 per week (each program is a 26week program, you purchase at once)! I've only used for a month now (I started July 1st) but so far it's been good for me. It does cardio, then resistance training. Pretty cool, I think!
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    They do not have trainers. I am friends with the owner, but he is only there during the work day, and since I work full time. That's not an option. My brother was going to help, but he left for a yr deployment on Friday. :frown:
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking up Scott Herman Fitness on youtube. He was on the Real World a few years ago as a fitness model and now he is dedicated to helping people learn to work out and get in shape. He has his website (which is pay-for), free youtube videos, and advice on his facebook and twitter account.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Ask the gym if there is someone available to demonstrate the machines so that you know how to use them properly.
    They usually have someone who will go over them with you, show you how to change the weights, etc.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess by Lou Schuler
    This is an awesome book! It gives you step by step instruction and tips...
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    They do not have trainers. I am friends with the owner, but he is only there during the work day, and since I work full time. That's not an option. My brother was going to help, but he left for a yr deployment on Friday. :frown:

We'll keep your brother in our thoughts during his deployment. My son is in the Army and it can be a worrisome time.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I like bodybuilding.com
  • brookbanter
    Options
    I so feel your pain! My recommendation is to pick a machine you want to know more about. Just walk over and look at it. Read the instructions. Check out what you can adjust (weights, seat, handles, whatever.) Basically just scope it out with complete confidence like you know exactly what you're doing. You won't look silly because all these machines have slight-to-significant differences. Pretend you're an expert and just visiting a new gym with different equipment. Then you could either look up that machine online to see how it works, or you could watch someone else using it to get an idea. Also, biggest tip I have for actually using them is to use slowish, smooth strokes, and don't let the weights clank together. Good luck!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the machines or the free weights?
    On most machines there is a diagram and a description on how the machine works and how to use it, have you checked to see if there is one on the machines at your gym?
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    run keeper
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Post an ad on craigslist asking for an experienced workout buddy ?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Most people in the gym are pretty kind. If you see someone using it, when they are done you could ask them. This is initially how I got started (we didn't have internet in the 80's) and when some one asked me, I would obliged. Don't be afraid to ask.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html
    This is also a really good website...
    It gives you complete instruction.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I like bodybuilding.com

I second that! However, if you use this site, dont get caught up in what the people look like (that's usually my problem :ohwell: ). Use it as a guide for great strength training exercises and pay special close attention to technique and form. Form is everything. Don't get caught up with how much weight. Choose a weight that challenges you, especially on the last few reps within your set. You'll see great results and improvements from week to week. :happy:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you joined a gym, they should automatically offer you training on the machines, even if you don't sign up for personal training. I would ask ... the worst they can do is say no right ... and I don't think they will :)

Edit: OK, sorry, missed the post about not having someone there other than the owner, who is not there when you are. Realistically, for liability purposes, there should be someone there who knows those machines any hour the gym is open to the public. Maybe the owner can talk to a 'regular' there who knows what they are doing that might be able to meet you there during the time you normally workout??