Will I lose more weight by doing a Keto diet?

Options
As opposed to just calorie counting? If not, then what is the advantage?

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Provided the calories are the same, no, you won't. In that sense, there is no advantage.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Only if it makes you eat less calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Initially you will lose more water weight as you deplete glycogen. After that, no...

For me, it would have no advantages because I'd be miserable. I'm assuming that the people who thrive on keto really like eating a lot of fat.

Prior to becoming the latest and greatest fad, it was primarily a medical diet to address certain medical conditions. My aunt ate keto for as long as I remember because she was epileptic and keto is the way to go for epilepsy. A lot of people who are insulin resistant also do keto...though it really isn't necessary to be keto restrictive with carbs if you're T2 or insulin resistant.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I really still don't understand what a keto diet consists of, I tried to do some research and all I really found out is that it was used for treatment for epilepsy. I feel like there's some secret that I'm missing out on here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I really still don't understand what a keto diet consists of, I tried to do some research and all I really found out is that it was used for treatment for epilepsy. I feel like there's some secret that I'm missing out on here.

Ultra low carb...like practically nothing...very high fat, moderate protein.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight on any diet as long as you have a calorie deficit
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, all diets for weight loss are calorie counting no matter what they may call it.
    Eating less calories than our bodies are burning.
    Whatever works long term and is sustainable for each of us.
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You might find you don't crave certain foods on a Keto diet. But eating keto doesn't make you lose weight. You still need to create a caloric deficit. If you like the low carb lifestyle, you can do that with a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. If you find you don't like it, just do the caloric deficit and you'll lose weight.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You won't lose more on it beyond initial water weight. The advantage for weight loss? Just like any other weight loss diet on the planet, some people (not everyone) find it helps them stick to their calories better for various reasons, which is a very important aspect of weight loss: if a diet is hard to sustain you won't be in a calorie deficit consistently enough to lose the desired amount of weight. There are medical advantages for certain pre-existing medical conditions, but that has little to do with weight loss.
  • joannabanana8
    joannabanana8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was also considering a low carb diet but its not something I can personally stick too long term. I am counting calories and shooting for macro goals set for me by NFL. I've dont it before so I know it works. I just haven't kept it off.
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    joannabanana8 - what is NFL?
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My coworker swears that it is not calories in vs calories out. I just sit and nod because she has done So Much Research about Keto and thinks it is "bible". I sit and try hard not to roll my eyes ;) Saying that, everyone is different and have different cravings and that is why there are so many different things out there exercise and food
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I like a reduced carb diet because fat and protein helps me control my appetite and cravings -- a lot of carbs don't. Other than that, it's what works for you. I wouldn't last more than a few days on a keto diet.