How Women Get Fat? And Then Lose It.

Options
Really, my question is two-fold:

1. Is the that fat is distributed on women's body (breasts, hips, thighs) related primarily to horomones?
2. If it is, can taking Birth Control Pills hinder weight loss since you're ingesting horomones?

I see lots of questions about weight gain and The Pill, and while I did gain weight once starting The Pill, I attribute it primarily to my change in lifestyle after getting into a committed relationship. I'm just wondering if the two are connected as far as weight LOSS goes.

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Yes. Many birth controls cause weight gain due to hormones.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have been on the pill for about 4 years now and my doctor had told me it is a possibility to gain weight with the pill, but it would be water weight. I did gain around 15 lbs in the first few months but quickly lost it.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I realize that. But I'm wondering if it gets in the way of LOSS. I've already gotten fat and wonder if going off The Pill will accelerate weight loss.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds on the pill D:
    All in my thighs.
    my boobs didn't even get biggerT_T.
    So yes, very possible.
    ANDD it does make it harder, for some people.
    I went off it for a month last year, and lost 5 pounds in a month without trying.
    Now, since im back on it? 5 pounds a month with pretty hard core exercise and diet >.<
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    I have never gained weight on any birth control. I have always been taking the pill as I have lost weight as well. I have gone from 141 to 116 so far and I have done this in 4 months, a reasonable amount of time
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the Pill causing significant weight gain.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Yes BC can cause weight gain, and so can a committed relationship depending on your life style. Neither of these causes of weight gain are un-surmountable. Don't use them as an excuse to not be fit/healthy. Adjust your diet and exercise accordingly.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I realize that. But I'm wondering if it gets in the way of LOSS. I've already gotten fat and wonder if going off The Pill will accelerate weight loss.

I don't expect you will see a major change. Maybe some fluid retention will drop.
  • beccau_20
    Options

I don't expect you will see a major change. Maybe some fluid retention will drop.

Okay, thanks. This is what I'm looking for :o)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on the pill, but I was on depo for 3 years and whether I was single or not, I put on weight very easily. However, if you aren't eating fast food and crap all the time and remain moderately active, you shouldn't see more than a 5-10 lb gain on any birth control (obviously everyone is different, but in general). I gained about 15 lbs, but part of it was that I was recovering for anorexia and was forcing myself to eat more than my body knew had to metabolize.
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello! I went off hormones this year and got the copper IUD put in. And let me tell you...there was a BIG change. For years I couldn't figure out why, when I worked so hard and ate so well, nothinghappend! no muscle gain...no weight loss NADA. I've lost about 4 lbs since coming off hormones (not a ton but for me that's a lot) and have also lost 2 inches on my breasts/waist/ and 1 inch on my thighs. I also have seen huge changes in my muscle mass and body % which I could never achieve before. Hope this helps
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options

1. Is the that fat is distributed on women's body (breasts, hips, thighs) related primarily to horomones?
    Nope. That would be genetic predisposition. More than likely, if you look at your mom's physique, you will also look that way at that age.
    2. If it is, can taking Birth Control Pills hinder weight loss since you're ingesting horomones?

I see lots of questions about weight gain and The Pill, and while I did gain weight once starting The Pill, I attribute it primarily to my change in lifestyle after getting into a committed relationship. I'm just wondering if the two are connected as far as weight LOSS goes.
    The pill does neither cause weight loss or gain.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have just finished reading Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It". He goes into just that, why we deposit fat where we do and how it happens and it has a great deal to do with hormones, all kinds of hormones. This is not the first time I've heard this either. However, from my own personal experience, birth control pills not only helped me pack on pounds, they also made me crazy. I am very sensitive to hormones and had to get off any type of hormonal birth control. I ended up using the IUD and was very happy with it for years. But, let me also share that although it was easy to pack on pounds with birth control therapy (pills, patches and shots...I tried different ones) the weight did not come off easy once I discontinued them.
  • beccau_20
    Options
    Hello! I went off hormones this year and got the copper IUD put in. And let me tell you...there was a BIG change. For years I couldn't figure out why, when I worked so hard and ate so well, nothinghappend! no muscle gain...no weight loss NADA. I've lost about 4 lbs since coming off hormones (not a ton but for me that's a lot) and have also lost 2 inches on my breasts/waist/ and 1 inch on my thighs. I also have seen huge changes in my muscle mass and body % which I could never achieve before. Hope this helps

Yes, very helpful! I've been having second thoughts about being on The Pill anyway, I've been on it for 3 years. I lost 90lbs before I started it and it seems like this time around it's taking a much more difficult, concerted effort. Just thinking that if this would be a side effect then maybe it's time for a change.
  • beccau_20
    Options
    I have just finished reading Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It". He goes into just that, why we deposit fat where we do and how it happens and it has a great deal to do with hormones, all kinds of hormones. This is not the first time I've heard this either. However, from my own personal experience, birth control pills not only helped me pack on pounds, they also made me crazy. I am very sensitive to hormones and had to get off any type of hormonal birth control. I ended up using the IUD and was very happy with it for years. But, let me also share that although it was easy to pack on pounds with birth control therapy (pills, patches and shots...I tried different ones) the weight did not come off easy once I discontinued them.

Perhaps I'll check out this book! Thanks for the info :o)
  • beccau_20
    Options

Nope. That would be genetic predisposition. More than likely, if you look at your mom's physique, you will also look that way at that age.

My body type actually looks nothing like my mothers, because i wondered if it was genetic as well. My body type is actually quite different from most of my female relatives.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

The pill does neither cause weight loss or gain.

The Pill definitely does cause weight gain. It's always listed as a side effect and your GYN will be able to confirm to you which pills cause more or less damage based on their own findings in the office.
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill, mini pill, and implant. I don't think it was any of them that caused my weight gain, I think that was more likely the product of huge pizza, sausage rolls, gravy dinners and spending much time on the couch that caused that to be honest. My mind loved to believe it was the pill/implant that caused it though.

It's not in the way of my weight loss, I'm losing at a steady rate so far but I'm only 11lbs in to a total 60lb goal so that may change. My weight doesn't seem to fluctuate very much during the week before TOM (or withdrawal bleed to be exact). I do agree it would if I didn't watch my sodium intake or drink plenty water though which seems especially important the week before (it's important all month round though).

My doctor and family planning nurse have both said it's a myth and the only basis they've found is a possible craving for extra carbs (which often results in junk food for many). Can't say I've had that though personally but we're all different and affected differently. Also it may link with long term relationships i.e. being comfortable with getting fat because your partner still loves you and finds you sexy (that resulted in zero motivation to change for me); eating their portion sizes (I did that too); and eating out a lot as a couple (I still do that but make different choices.)
  • beccau_20
    Options
    Also it may link with long term relationships i.e. being comfortable with getting fat because your partner still loves you and finds you sexy (that resulted in zero motivation to change for me); eating their portion sizes (I did that too); and eating out a lot as a couple (I still do that but make different choices.)

I am 100% sure that it was a result of my lifestyle that caused me to gain so much weight. If I did gain on the pill, it was minimal and you couldn't tell because I was eating bad food and i was sedentary.