Breastfeeding

Options
Moody529
Moody529 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
About how many calories does one burn up while breastfeeeding? Should breast feeding be under exercise tab? Should i even be dieting since i am breastfeeding?

I am hungry mostly by the end of the day. Sunday was my first day back on a diet.

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    roughly 20 calories per ounce of breast milk
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that dieting isn't good while breastfeeding as you may limit the nutrients in the milk when limiting yourself. I've also read that fat breakdown can release toxins into your milk - but no idea if that's official or not.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Two methods:

1. Set your weight loss rate to maintain. This lets the calories burned through breastfeeding create your deficit.

2. Set your weight loss rate to whatever you want it to be. Then go into your food diary and search for "breastfeeding." You will get several negative calorie entries. Choosing one will add calories back into your daily goal. The most commonly quoted starting point if you are bfing full time is 500 added calories per day.

Whichever method you use, remember that the calorie goal you are given is a starting point based on generalized estimates. Eat at that goal for four weeks and then adjust calories up/down (or keep them the same) based on results.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Mmm in my case about a slice of cake's worth a day....

Sadly the cake cravings continued long after the breast feeding stopped - i easily lost 'baby weight' whilst breast feeding but then gained afterwards.

If you are hungry - i'd eat some more, within reason. (A weekly weigh in to keep an eye on things perhaps?) Producing milk easily is clearly important right now - lucky you, enjoy your baby.

• e_falagan
    e_falagan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    20 calories per ounce (roughly). You definitely should NOT be dieting while breastfeeding. If you're hungry, eat. But make smart decisions and eat clean. Don't worry about limiting calories or else it will more than likely affect your milk supply.
    Eat clean and stay active. I'm in the breastfeeding boat as well. :)
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your body knows best! Stay hydrated and eat clean when you are actually hungry. It is a huge task to manage children, fitness, and dieting, so take it slow...and listen to your body and baby first! I am also in the same boat!