Detoxing

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I have been wondering what people's views are on this. I have read a lot debunking the concept of detoxing, stating that the body is perfectly capable of eliminating toxins all the time. But then I have also read about transfats and how they cause toxins to be stored in fat tissue, and how things like excessive alcohol consumption prevents the liver dealing with toxins as efficiently as it should. Most of the detox programs I have sen are about helping the liver work more effectively, or (e.g. massage) draining the lymph system to stimulate toxin flushing, which also makes sense to me.

So what's the truth of it? Does anyone really know? How do you feel about it?

From personal experience, my mother has tried to do detox programs a couple of times, and both times on day 2 has had such bad leg pains she has had to stop, so clearly they are doing something, but what? The most I ever do is have a month off alcohol here and there (usually January to recover from Christmas and New Year!), but I am keen to find out what other people's experience's are.

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Honestly I never know what is the truth and what isn't so I just stick to drinking lots and lots and lots of water. I also like to do hot yoga, you sweat like theres no tomorrow but you will definitely feel better afterwards.
  • KnottyRae
    Options
    I agree that the body will do what it can to eliminate toxins however it just seems like there are so many pollutants and contaminants...my idea of a detox is lots of water, fruit, and veggies. I want to give my body the opportunity to do what it needs to do and I will just give it the good tools to do it efficiently. Hydrating has been the best "detox" for me. I have more energy, my skin looks better, my hair feels better, I sleep well...so many things that just staying hydrated does.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    IMO opinion, I think it's just a money making scam.
  • chitniss
    chitniss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is no detox 'draining' of the lymphatic system. That does not make physiologic sense. Lymphatic fluid is all collected via lymph ducts and returned into the blood stream. It does get filtered through lymph nodes before returning to the bloodstream, but the body does that part regardless of whether you do detox or not. Also, lymph nodes are designed to filter lymph and detect antigens (could be any foreign material - usually bacterial, viral, or fungal proteins) and help mount an immune response to the antigen.

As far as I can tell, lymphedema is the only medical condition associated with lymphatic fluid not circulating well. Unless you have (usually asymmetric) swelling of some part of the body, returning lymph fluids faster or slower is not going to make any difference.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The leg pains are most likely due to losing too much fluid and therefore losing too much potassium (causes muscle cramps). You have to be careful with that, because potassium is a key electrolyte for cardiac (heart) conduction...if you have too low or too high potassium, could cause a fatal dysrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm that could lead to cardiac arrest or heart damage)

Anyone that is on a diuretic (aka 'water pill') must be especially cautious because they are already diuresing their body and has an increased risk for low potassium (hypokalemia)

As for fact or bunk...I think it is a joke to get people that want to be healthy to give up a lot of their money for something that the body does naturally. I think if there was actual medical truth to it, more physicians would prescribe it...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    This is my personal opinion and experience, so take it for what little it's worth. ;)

I don't believe in "detoxing" and think there's a whole industry around to convince people that they need to spend money to "detox". Eating right is all you need to "clean" your body.

The exception would be when you do a version to find out about possible food allergies. This is what I did with a nutritionist to confirm if I had a gluten intolerance (which, I do, though thankfully, not Celiac diease). It was a 10 day detox that involved me eliminating almost everything out of my diet over the 10 days. The last couple of days, I could only eat a VERY limited number of veggies, olive oil (extra virgin only), and the medical food/powder they gave me to maintain lacking nutrients. I added foods back in slowly after the 10 days.

I developed serious muscle cramping in my back and legs during it and had very low energy. Lost 3 pounds of "water weight". Hated the experience, but was good to do it and confirm the gluten issue. After the detox, I worked with the nutritionist to build a cleaner/healthier diet for weight loss and overall health that avoids diary and gluten (my 2 intolerance's).

You don't need to detox to lose weight or be healthier. Make simple steady changes to your diet and you'll do fine.

That's my 2 cents. :glasses:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    There is no detox 'draining' of the lymphatic system. That does not make physiologic sense. Lymphatic fluid is all collected via lymph ducts and returned into the blood stream. It does get filtered through lymph nodes before returning to the bloodstream, but the body does that part regardless of whether you do detox or not. Also, lymph nodes are designed to filter lymph and detect antigens (could be any foreign material - usually bacterial, viral, or fungal proteins) and help mount an immune response to the antigen.

As far as I can tell, lymphedema is the only medical condition associated with lymphatic fluid not circulating well. Unless you have (usually asymmetric) swelling of some part of the body, returning lymph fluids faster or slower is not going to make any difference.

Sure, but it isn't unusual to get swollen lymph nodes, is it? We all get them when we are ill. What I meant by the reference to lymph in my post was that people can lose a couple of inches through lymphatic drainage massage, or a body wrap, but it'll come back on as soon as you drink some water, it's not detoxing, it's just a very short term thing.
  • PWrape
    PWrape Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is no Detox of the lympathic drainage system.. but there is manual lymph drainage. However, it is done to treat lymphedema not as a weight loss option. If you have lymph nodes surgically rmoved then you can get lymp fluid build up in that area, and manual massage can help move the fluid. Reducing salt intake is the best option, then you need lean proteins, lots of fruits and vegetables, and low impact exercise, like pilates and aqua aerobics. I have been doing manual lymph drainage sessions for a couple of weeks.. but I just went into remission for Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma so I have a medical reason for why the lymphatic fluid is not circulating. I have lost some of the puffyness in my face and my ankles have lost some fluid. But it is still very slow going.. I think without a medical diagnosis, it really isn't a big benefit. However, if you do have lymphedema it is well worth it because especially when my feet are swollen it makes it hard for me to do other exercise.. you don't realize how almost everything involves your feet!