Options
2»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    be less than 12% body fat

Disagree. I have abs at 18.3% BF. Train core with weighted exercises. The only way I was able to transform any sort of abdomen muscle, and I've been 16% BF with NO ab definition. Oblique twists, trunk twists, cable crunches, weighted double crunches, incline crunches, weighted v-ups, scissor kicks, crunch burn outs, oblique planks...the list goes on. A lot of it is nutrition, but you have to have defined ab muscles or else you are cutting down fat to reveal less-than-ideal abs.

How did/do you measure your BF?

FWIW, I first got my visible abs at about 12% as measured hydrostatically just doing the 4 basic compound lifts - DL, SQT, BP & OHP.

Didn't do any ab specific exercises whatsoever. The only other thing I needed to do was control my diet and lose weight (along w/fat).
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I got there by eating my maintenance calories only. I used the TDEE tool here and did not account for activity in the formula. Very repetitive diet too. All the best on your quest. Nothing like getting there.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    be less than 12% body fat

Disagree. I have abs at 18.3% BF. Train core with weighted exercises. The only way I was able to transform any sort of abdomen muscle, and I've been 16% BF with NO ab definition. Oblique twists, trunk twists, cable crunches, weighted double crunches, incline crunches, weighted v-ups, scissor kicks, crunch burn outs, oblique planks...the list goes on. A lot of it is nutrition, but you have to have defined ab muscles or else you are cutting down fat to reveal less-than-ideal abs.

I think he means 12% for a male. For a female it's a whole different ballgame