Could anyone help me devise an exercise plan?

Options
Hi I'm new to this, and very sorry if I'm posting incorrectly or in the wrong place:)
Anyway I'm trying to lose weight and I've got the healthy eating down well but not the exercise! I can't really go out running or jogging here so any suggestions which can help me get a good home workout routine would be wonderful. I don't have any equipment either. I'm a beginner and quite unfit so anything that will help build up my fitness levels are great. Any help or suggestions?
A couple of things about me which may or may not be relevant are, I'm 6ft, female and I weight 170lbs. I'm not losing much weight I'm mainly wanting to get fit and healthy:)
Many thanks in advance.

EDIT - I have little money to spend & I'm trying to walk 2 miles everyday.

To everyone who has answered thankyou all for the brilliant and helpful ideas!

Replies

• Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    As a beginner I use Leslie Sansone walking videos-I think Walmart carries them.
  • MelodAngel
    Options
    I went to Target and bought a Reebok product which comes with a big exercise ball, and 3 resistance bands, with a video that shows you how to do everything. It's pretty easy but I felt it the next day!
  • syreetahasting
    Options
    Someone also posted on here that they bought alot of exercise equipment that was still in the box at their local Goodwill store
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I really like the Beach Body workouts and I just received the Zumba Exhilarate dvd set. They can be purchased on Amazon or the company websites. You can see some demos on their web pages.

http://www.beachbody.com/

http://www.zumba.com/

Another suggestion is Jillian Michael's dvds. They can be purchased lots of places ie. Target for around $9.00.

Good luck with your fitness journey. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I went to Target and bought a Reebok product which comes with a big exercise ball, and 3 resistance bands, with a video that shows you how to do everything. It's pretty easy but I felt it the next day!

This is exactly what you should start with, you can do so many exercises with the exercise ball and resistanc bands, yes they come with a dvd however you can simply google exercises for swiss ball and it will come up with heaps. The ball will also help with correct technique if you are unsure and they are so cheap xxx
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For some free, indoor exercises that don't require equipment to work your core muscles go here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047

Edit - and then look below that section to see links to other exercises
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A couple of things about me which may or may not be relevant are, I'm 6ft, female and I weight 170lbs. I'm not losing much weight I'm mainly wanting to get fit and healthy:)
    Many thanks in advance.

I think walking is great. It's a good way to enjoy the scenery around you and get some fresh air too.
    Swimming is another great workout. It uses all the muscles in your body and you actually feel a little more toned after a few sessions.
    Biking is another great form of exercise. I love to bike at the beach and feel the breeze in my hair, doesn't feel like exercise and it's great cardio.
    Have you tried circuit training yet? a Balance of Cardio/strength training and ab workout.(Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD)
    Well just a few exercises to think about.

I wish you much success! :smile:
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    Jump rope or hula hoop. They are both inexpensive and don't require dvds that you may or may not like. Also, check out Goodwill. If you still have a vhs player you might be able to pick up workout vhs tapes for cheap, my Goodwill always has a selection of those. Also just Google working out with no equipment. There is lots of exercises you can do with a hand towel.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not much money? Been there, done that. Canned vegetables make good weights. Jog in place. Whenever you are at the sink, place your hands on the counter, extend your body, and do some "push ups" or push aways. Repeat 5 or 6 times. It only takes a few minutes. Elastic tubing or stretch bands are available at most sporting goods stores and not terribly expensive. You can devise several methods of stretches with these bands. Look online and you should find some sites. Do torso twists. Use a towel held behind your back with both hands. Raise your hands as high as you can towards your neck without straining the muscles till it hurts! I hope these ideas are helpful!
  • tingtawn
    tingtawn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I work out at home a lot i am a college student so now much money to spend on gym memberships or expensive classes. I have found like other have said that the jillian michaels dvds are really good and they r pretty inexspensive, even if you don't have weights they are a good workout. I also have found that youtube is really helpful. Whatever exercise you are looking to do there is a video on youtube for it. I also like self.com and womenshealthmag.com websites they offer quite a few workouts for free. There are plenty of workouts that are free if you do some research .www.Bodyrock.tv has some really brutal strenght workouts, but i modify them to my level to get my heart rate up and have a little fun attempting something hard. For music i usually use pandora.com because i dont have the money to buy songs for my ipod. Hope this helps :)
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Go to your library and checkout some fitness DVDs.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not much money? Been there, done that. Canned vegetables make good weights. Jog in place. Whenever you are at the sink, place your hands on the counter, extend your body, and do some "push ups" or push aways. Repeat 5 or 6 times. It only takes a few minutes. Elastic tubing or stretch bands are available at most sporting goods stores and not terribly expensive. You can devise several methods of stretches with these bands. Look online and you should find some sites. Do torso twists. Use a towel held behind your back with both hands. Raise your hands as high as you can towards your neck without straining the muscles till it hurts! I hope these ideas are helpful!
    :

Love this!

Also don't forget your local library! Its free to check out tons of books and dvds... Best thing it's free as long as you return things on time :)