Gym help....

Options
Okay so anyone else have the problem that people at the gym just stare and don't take you seriously? If I ask for help on a machine they just look at me like "oh poor little you, so naive" How can I come across as a person seriously interested in fitness and not a bimbo spending leisure time at the gym?

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Wear an old t-shirt and sweats. ;D
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You could research and even youtube how to videos of the machines at the gym, that way you can still see it being done and don't have to worry about the looks.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    what machines are you having trouble with?
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Wear an old t-shirt and sweats. ;D

I agree :smile:
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You could ask a trainer? :o)
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Are you asking the people who work there or just other members?

Many gyms offer a personal training session or two, or at least a consultation with a trainer, when you join. Take advantage of that and ask to have a personalized program created for you by a qualified trainer, even if you have to pay for it. It's worth every penny, and you'll get more out of your workout that way.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Its the trainers who have mainly been the problem, three of them so far have trained me for one session, were jerks, and then asked me out. I think I need to try to old sweats strategy.
  • adjones5
    Options
    I can never figure out how the leg machines work. I need to work the outer part of my hamstrings but I don't want the rest of my legs to get bulkier.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    Use more free weights n yes when u go to the gym.. Quit with the make up, lipstick n streightening ur hair... If ur serious about training ull be there in sweats/shorts/tshirt and just hair in a pony tail... I personally too giggle inside when i see a girl in her tight tight booty shorts n a sports bra aaalll done up... Its a gym not a fashion show where u gotta show ur *kitten* off.. Save that for the bar later in the night
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    Ill put a smily :-) cuz wasnt trying to be mean just honest n trying to help ur problemzz
  • MisScorpio
    Options
    Not sure what gym your going too but i have never had or seen anyone have this issue at mine.Wish you luck...
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I can never figure out how the leg machines work. I need to work the outer part of my hamstrings but I don't want the rest of my legs to get bulkier.

Most machines should have diagrams depicting how to use them. The hip abductor and adductors are the ones you probably are thinking about.
    When in doubt, use dumbbells. Or do calisthenics.
    For the hamstrings specifically, I'd recommend straight-legged deadlifts. First with feet close together, than with feet wide apart. Also side lunges should help that whole side-area of the legs.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Its the trainers who have mainly been the problem, three of them so far have trained me for one session, were jerks, and then asked me out. I think I need to try to old sweats strategy.

Oh sheesh.. I have the same problem.:tongue:

Most of the 'trainers' I've met at various gyms are idiots. I would suggest searching online for a routine suited to you, then youtube for proper technique. Those big scary guys and gals in the 'grunting' section of the gym prolly (defnatly) know way more than the trainers, they are the ones to ask for help. AFTER they are done working.
  • adjones5
    Options
    I don't wear make up or do my hair when I work out...
  • MisScorpio
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA EuroDriver....I completely agree with you there!!! If you leave the gym looking "cute" then your not doing it right and your not serious about it.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    If you want to strengthen your outer leg without bulking up use a small circular resistance band. Put both of your feet in it and do a half squat. Then step to the right side a little more than shoulder width apart and bring your left foot back to your right foot . Do it as many times as you can it will burn real quick. Then repeat to the left side. Your I.T. band will feel it a lot.
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Oh sheesh.. I have the same problem.:tongue:

Most of the 'trainers' I've met at various gyms are idiots. I would suggest searching online for a routine suited to you, then youtube for proper technique. Those big scary guys and gals in the 'grunting' section of the gym prolly (defnatly) know way more than the trainers, they are the ones to ask for help. AFTER they are done working.

I agree with this statement I am a personal trainer and work within a gym however I have been to many many gyms and alot of trainers have no idea what they are talking about, they can be unprofessional and asking you are is absolutely inappropriate and you can report them if it makes you uncomfortable. I will defend trainers though we are not all like that, personal trainers and gym floor instructors should be there to help you and not judge you... but def go to the gym in sweats and no make up... I cant stand girls that wear make up to workout... not to mention how bad it is for your skin..
    There has to be at least one person in that gym that will help you ?????
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had an awful experience with the trainers. I have one, and I don't know what I'd do without the kid...He knows I'm there to workout and thats it.. and maybe the few medicine balls that I've chucked at his head, have also gotten that point across :)

Next time you go, I'd stop in at the front desk, explain what has happened in the past and then ask if there is someone who can show you the machines and give you a routine.. when they lead you to said person, talk to them first and if you don't like them ask for someone else. You don't have to go with whoever they pawn you off on that day.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.. there are prob. a lot of people willing.. just project some confidence and you'll be alright :)