Admit How We Were, Plan to Change, No Crying in Baseball

Options
I would like to make a few friends on here to share war stories and tips with as we lose weight and get healthier. But I have to say I am not a huge fan of the daily "Great Job" comments and other pleasant yet meaningless pats on the back. I would rather have someone be honest with me and say what is necessary than just say what they think makes me feel good. If I need a kick in rear, give it to me; if I have done something well, give me a small nod. In turn, I do not want someone whining about things or allowing me to whine. None of us woke up out of shape, unhealthy, or fat. We all knew what was happeneing and did little to nothing about it as we got this way...in fact, most of us just denied it and hoped it went away. I know I did. So I am calling on everyone to stand up with me and take credit for getting into the condition we are now. We should challenge each other to move forward from the bad eating and no exercise trends and work towards permanent inprovement. I want people who will not allow me to make excuses...and I will do the same for them. None for how we got this way, and none in the future for not sticking to our plans. I understand that things happen, but we should always look towards doing something proactive rather than making an excuse for not doing what was planned. I do not want to sound like a drill sergeant or an extremist. But I do know myself quite well and how I allowed myself to get this way. I would like some others who are willing to admit their past errors and move forward with me. Who is up for it?

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Here you go!! Just in case you were in need.
    GunnyErmey1-1.jpg
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well I guess my "great jobs" would irritate you then.. lol..
    I wish you lots of success :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    GunnyErmey1-1.jpg

bahahahahahaha
  • kprince89
    Options
    HAHA! I totally love this. LOVE. IT.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I made this same post 8 months ago and yes their is crying in baseball, I take it you never took a liner to the nuts then have you?
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    GunnyErmey1-1.jpg

I WILL RIP OUT YOUR EYES AND SKULL *kitten* YOU!! There are so many wonderful quotes from that movie!!
  • JoeHomoski
    JoeHomoski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have said I need tough love more than encouragement. So I get movie quotes and pictures? No actual interest?
  • Chantelle160
    Options
    I think people are hard enough on themselves........ tough love is usually not taken so well considering we are strangers. Most people dont know your whole story so its usually taken as an attack. Just a thought.....
  • JoeHomoski
    Options
    Thanks, I got a sense of that from the replies. Perhaps some better wording would have been less inflamatory.
  • elsieshaye
    elsieshaye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible to both be honest with ourselves about how we got where we are and be positive and encouraging about where we are moving to from here and how we're doing it. They're not mutually exclusive, and changing health habits is not an all-or-nothing proposition. I absolutely agree with your points about honesty and accountability. But I would argue that for most people that, once we've grasped how we got here, if all we can see is how badly we've screwed up rather than being able to also acknowledge the individual things we are doing right now to fix it, it's easy to get discouraged and give up. (BTW, movie quotes and pictures aren't necessarily lack of interest. People use those things as shorthand ways of connecting with others, and as symbols of the meaning they want to convey.)

Maybe something like an accountability thread might be a good approach? Something concrete like "post a goal here and then come back at the end of the day and report back on whether or not you met it". It's hard to give "tough love" in a vacuum, unless you just want someone to say "hey, loser, quit eating and get your *kitten* to the gym." Tends to work better if there is a specific activity or issue to discuss, KWIM?
  • JoeHomoski
    Options
    Apparently no one actually grasped what I was looking for. I did not want to diminish anyone else's approach or methodology. I just chose a certain way to go about things and was looking for someone with a similar plan who wanted to join up with me. My idea was to be positive, but firm and not allow myself to fall into bad habits like making excuses. No one has said they agree with my approach and want to do it with me. That was the reason for my post. Many people have replied in different ways. My apologies if I offended anyone. If you think you understand what I mean by my post, then please friend me and we will begin supporting one another. If not, please move to the next post.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Actually, my original post was meant for humor. If I can't have fun doing this, then I will get bored and slip back into past bad habits. What I have been doing has indeed worked for me. I am friends with many like minded folks who have also had results. If you are having trouble staying motivated, you need to find out why, and then effect change in that area. I am NOT going to make mean or malicious fun of anyone, but I WILL try to find humor in everything I do. Life is too short and lifestyle change is too difficult to not make every attempt to embrace it. I'm not here to "diet". Does that make sense? I honestly hope I didn't offend with the picture. The sentiment is absolutely true though. I am the *kitten* who got myself to the state I was in, and I am the *kitten* who will change that. Just taking responsibility for one's self...
  • JoeHomoski
    Options
    I understand the movie quotes and the picture. I too have a wild sense of humor. I can make a joke out of anything. Then I make a serious post with what I thought were defined ideals for myself and maybe a few others. Now it is a funny picture/movie quote reply section where people think I am mocking their methods. I wasn't looking for people to tell me that I sound like a hard *kitten*. I know that. I need to be that way with MYSELF to avoid relapsing. I was just looking for a friend or two on here with a similar plan.