Are carbs making me unable to lose weight?

Options
I have been working SO hard for the past 6 months and have only lost 23 pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly proud of my achievement...But.

Before the twins were born, all I had to do to lose weight was drink lots of water, watch my portions and exercise.

Now I feel like I am working twice as hard with twice as less results.

Although I stay within my calories every day (week-ends are sometimes more laid back), I eat multi-grain breads, rice, cereals and some "treats" in moderation...

i have a history of getting all kinds of obsessed over this stuff which is why I haven't eliminated any foods at all from my diet to prevent "craziness"...

But maybe my body just can't tolerate carbs anymore?

E xox

Replies

• Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    carbs are my enemy. I don't do well with it either. I eat less carbs and more protein. It seems to be a good combo for me right now.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Highly unlikely. What do your numbers look like? Your diary is closed.. I cannot see.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    i agree, i believe that its doubtful that carbs are the issue, and your body changes after children so now it may just be harder to lose weight... also, personally i think diets that include the kinds of foods you will be eating long term are best, that way your body is doing what it needs to without the possibility of a drastic change... thats being said i wish you luck on the rest of your journey and hopefully things keep moving along nicely!!!
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that eating carbs slows me down, but rather when I eat them. Maybe it's just me being weird, I dunno....But if I try to make dinner the lowest carb meal of the day (as in a pc of bread w/ dinner instead of noodle-based dishes), I've noticed I feel better and lose inches faster.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    i have a history of getting all kinds of obsessed over this stuff which is why I haven't eliminated any foods at all from my diet to prevent "craziness"...

There's a contradiction in there somewhere, I'm sure. :indifferent:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    everybody is different but I eat plenty of carbs and have lost weight just fine. I do drink tons of water though (like 5-7 liters a day) and try and keep my sodium in check.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A few things that come to mind while reading your entry:

1. I think 23 pounds in 6 months is a pretty acceptable loss. I'd be pleased with that.

2. As you get older, your metabolism slows down. You're not going to be able to lose weight as easily as you did several years ago, particularly if you've lost any muscle mass along the way. More muscle = more calories burned.

3. The term "Multi-grain" is a marketing thing. In some cases, it's just white bread with a few extra grains thrown in, and some food coloring to make it look "healthier." Look for bread that specifically says "100% Whole Grain."

4. White rice will cause an insulin spike just like white bread, and some studies suggest that even brown rice has the same effect. I'd avoid eating rice frequently.

5. If carbs are slowing you down, it's probably not carbs in general, but the KINDS of carbs you may be eating. Do some research on a low-glycemic index diet and learn what kind of carbs your body will tolerate better, as opposed to the ones (like sugar and white bread/rice) that are more likely to prompt your body to store energy in the form of fat. Check out a glycemic index chart and avoid anything with an index rating of 55 or higher.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean?
  • Twins2007
    Options

There's a contradiction in there somewhere, I'm sure. :indifferent:
  • Twins2007
    Options
    Thanks!
    A few things that come to mind while reading your entry:

1. I think 23 pounds in 6 months is a pretty acceptable loss. I'd be pleased with that.

2. As you get older, your metabolism slows down. You're not going to be able to lose weight as easily as you did several years ago, particularly if you've lost any muscle mass along the way. More muscle = more calories burned.

3. The term "Multi-grain" is a marketing thing. In some cases, it's just white bread with a few extra grains thrown in, and some food coloring to make it look "healthier." Look for bread that specifically says "100% Whole Grain."

4. White rice will cause an insulin spike just like white bread, and some studies suggest that even brown rice has the same effect. I'd avoid eating rice frequently.

5. If carbs are slowing you down, it's probably not carbs in general, but the KINDS of carbs you may be eating. Do some research on a low-glycemic index diet and learn what kind of carbs your body will tolerate better, as opposed to the ones (like sugar and white bread/rice) that are more likely to prompt your body to store energy in the form of fat. Check out a glycemic index chart and avoid anything with an index rating of 55 or higher.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    honestly I do better when I reduce Processed carbs (aka junk food, bleached pasta, crackers, even breads) since I have to buy any gluten items myself once I started cutting gluten (moved in with parents for awhile) my weight started reducing pretty quickly, and my weight loss always slows when I have more gluten/carbs. Most of my carbs come from fruits and brown rice. Consequently its a higher protein lifestyle which works well for me too :)

Having kids will do TONS of funky things to your body including throw off hormones and metabolism, so you probably are working twice as hard to lose weight, and losing that weight in totally different areas.
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    great job on the progress so far... your body needs carbs, though.... everyone's does. Carbs will definite bloat you... and that is including sugar. Try and keep the servings of carbs down to 100 g, if you think that is your problem. When you do buy bread, try ones with less than 25g of carbs, and at least some protein and fiber. If you like wraps, flat out is a brand that makes good wraps and they are pretty filling. Also, try ezekial bread... it is in the frozen food isle, and it has a lot of protein and fiber. Moreso than other breads, that is.