Ugh I need some advice. Stuck in a neverending cycle..

Options
Hello I've been using this site on and off for a while now. Im 22 , 5'7 and weigh 150lbs. I have yet to add a picture yet or use the message boards...maybe thats what im laking. I eat very healthy (was veg for a while but now i have chicken every so often, no dairy or processed foods) and dont have too much of a problem losing weight but the same thing keeps happening over and over again. 2 to 4 weeks will go by and I will feel amazing, i will have lost 2 lbs, maybe more and then i will just overeat over the weekend and be back to where i started or + because of water weight and eating too much at once. this is an endless cycle and when i start feeling good i convince myself its not going to happen again and it disgusts me that it happened in the past but then i somehow end up in that state where i cant control myself and dont care that im eating more then i should. If im going to be honest with myself this has been going on for almost 2 years. I use to weigh 135 but after a depressing life changing event happened i put on this extra weight and hav e felt uncomfortable and not myself since then. Any one have any advice for me? :(

Also I am not depriving myself. I tend to eat 1200-1500 calories a day...i work out 5 days a week. I use to go to the gym daily but since that wasnt working ive switched it up recently and started doing work out dvds, running 2 to 3 miles, etc. The days i dont work out i go for long walks and little stuff like that.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do you count on your "bad" weekends? What happens after the bad weekend? Do you give up for a while (a month or two) then start again? This sounds like me when I was younger. You have to find something you can stick with even on weekends AND you have to start over again the very next day! This can't be a hard diet that you give up on, but a new way to live all the time. No one says you can't have fun on the weekends just make good choices. Drinking light beer, pick the healthiest thing on the menu, do active fun things like hiking or biking with your friends.

Now down to the numbers. Do you eat your exercise calories? What is your weight loss goal set to? Since you don't have much to lose I'd recommend setting it to 0.5lbs a week AND eating all your exercise calories.

I'm 5'9" and 153. I've been losing by netting 1750.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me :flowerforyou:
  • ericadesiree
    Options
    I can TOTALLY relate to your story. For years I was stuck in this cycle and felt like there was no way out. Recently I have finally greatly decreased my binging habits. I talked to others about my problem and that in itself helped because I found support. Also, recording my foods on here have helped me keep in check with what I put in my mouth and when. I have also found support on youtube actually and that has helped a lot. It is not easy but you can do it. I think the best thing you can do is surround yourself with positive people and to take it day. I made a weekly goal for myself to not overeat on weekends and then that slowly went up to not binging at all for several weeks. Just keep pushing at it and you will succeed. I never thought I would be able to but I did and I am still working on it. :)
  • sdtrimom
    sdtrimom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is REALLY hard to not over eat on the weekends. It sounds like you are doing everything right, other than that. Just try and have healthier options around and maybe pack them into containers in single portions so you are less tempted. I really have to watch what I eat on weekend, it is hard when those around you are not living the same lifestyle as you.
  • louayala
    louayala Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since I have no idea what the depressing, life-changing event was, I can't totally say. But, with myself, I find that I will subconsciously undermine my own success with dieting because I feel unworthy of the success or dislike any attention that my success may attract. It's my own guilt feelings and lack of self-worth that do it for me. 95% of the time, I can talk myself out of listening to those negative messages I feed myself...but then there is that other 5% of the time when I just give in to them.... That's just what's happened to me over the years.
  • lugovelb
    lugovelb Posts: 60
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • ammre513
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses :). Ive been feeling like this for so long I've been making myself feel crazy. I feel like a little child. Im afraid to buy certain things, like almond butter for example. I will be fine with it for a week or two and then all of a sudden i will have 5 rice cakes and 4 tbsp of almond butter and then other stuff on top of that. Even though these are the healthy foods i normally eat i get to a point where im binging on them. I have no problem eating healthy thats how i enjoy to eat. After i have a weekend of overeating I always go right back to eating normally. My pants are instantly tighter and i feel absolutely horrible all week at work just feeling that. I never even overindulge on food that people normally do...like the "bad food" they dont eat when there dieting.
  • ammre513
    Options
    I never really add my excersise on here...i just feels like it gives me so much room and its not realistic to me. i was thinking of getting a heart monitor so i have a more accurate rate of how many calories i burn so i can feel more comfortable putting that number in.
  • ammre513
    Options
    I guess I need to change my weight loss goal. I would always try to eat around 1200-1300 calories a day no matter what i did for excersise that day. It scares me to eat more then that....but i need to change something because ive just been setting myself up for failure over and over again.