Really Dumb Boiled Egg Calorie Question

Options
Is the USDA weight for calories calculated with the peel or without?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You mean shell?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, the weight of any item is the weight of what is consumed -- not anything thrown away.

So an egg wouldn't include the shell, an orange wouldn't include the peel, chicken wouldn't include the bone, etc.
  • tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    for eggs, just go with boiled egg.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna say - I've never been that precise in my measurements and I've lost 70+ pounds and kept it off for a very long time. Some stuff just is too minor.

To me an egg is "egg -large." The end.

I agree.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I'm just gonna say - I've never been that precise in my measurements and I've lost 70+ pounds and kept it off for a very long time. Some stuff just is too minor.

I agree.

Why do I have an overwhelming urge to go weigh this morning's egg shells, though? :neutral:
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

I agree.

Why do I have an overwhelming urge to go weigh this morning's egg shells, though? :neutral:

I was just thinking the same thing. So tomorrow I will weigh the egg shells, just to satisfy my curiosity.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just weigh it in shell. Interestingly, I find most of my eggs fall into the "extra large" category by weight. They look normal size to me. Turns out a medium size egg (44 grams) is not something I ever encountered and would be tiny in comparison. Could it be because I weigh them in shell? Now I'm curious how USDA defined that weight, with or without shell.
  • glaese
    glaese Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps, but I always pee, blow my nose, clean my ears and exhale before I get on the scale in the morning :smiley: ...my wife just chuckles and rolls her eyes
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering this, too! The USDA database specifies it's for the edible portion only. I found a database entry that fits those calories and just use that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I just weigh it in shell. Interestingly, I find most of my eggs fall into the "extra large" category by weight. They look normal size to me. Turns out a medium size egg (44 grams) is not something I ever encountered and would be tiny in comparison. Could it be because I weigh them in shell? Now I'm curious how USDA defined that weight, with or without shell.

If you're talking about the small/medium/large/extra large/jumbo sizes that egg packagers put on their cartons, those are weights with the shell -- if they cracked them to weigh them without the shell, they couldn't sell them (at least not in the form that those regulated sizes are used for -- obviously they could freeze them or dry them or refrigerate the liquids and sell them to food manufacturers in bulk or package them in those forms for retail sales).

If you're talking about the weights shown for eggs of different sizes in the USDA nutrient database, those are weights for the edible part only. The weight for each size egg in the USDA nutrient database runs roughly 13% below the midpoint of the weight range for the regulated sizes for eggs sold at retail in cartons.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, the weight of any item is the weight of what is consumed -- not anything thrown away.

So an egg wouldn't include the shell, an orange wouldn't include the peel, chicken wouldn't include the bone, etc.

On the plus side, this means that the shell could be considered free eats. Have as much as you want!

Sure, once you sterilize them they're a source of calcium. Or you could toss them in when making what the food faddists are calling "bone broth," like it's something new, so they can sell you a book or get your eyes for ad impressions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

If you're talking about the small/medium/large/extra large/jumbo sizes that egg packagers put on their cartons, those are weights with the shell -- if they cracked them to weigh them without the shell, they couldn't sell them (at least not in the form that those regulated sizes are used for -- obviously they could freeze them or dry them or refrigerate the liquids and sell them to food manufacturers in bulk or package them in those forms for retail sales).

If you're talking about the weights shown for eggs of different sizes in the USDA nutrient database, those are weights for the edible part only. The weight for each size egg in the USDA nutrient database runs roughly 13% below the midpoint of the weight range for the regulated sizes for eggs sold at retail in cartons.

Yes, I meant size as defined in the USDA nutrient database by grams. This is interesting, though,
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

USDA food weights are defined as "without bone and gristle", so only the part you eat counts.

Edit: Apparently a bunch of people beat me to it. :D