Mini stepper

Options
So I just bought a mini stepper ( like the one in the picture. ) and have some questions.
1. How effective is it ? Is it like walking ?
2. How much calories do I burn using it ? ( I weigh 110 lbs )
3. How can I track my Stepper workout using Fitbit ? ( as there's no 'mini stepper' option available when choosing the workout type. )
4. Is it low impact ?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Most pieces of equipment such as this are designed for the “impulse purchase” market, so they are not designed to be particular robust or durable.

The movement of the stepper will be similar to walking in place, with a little more resistance and a little less impact. Because of the relatively small range of motion, the ability to increase intensity will likely be limited.

At your weight, your likely net calorie burn will be about 100-150 calories per hour, maybe 200 if you are really able to push the speed. This is not a big calorie burner. It’s best use would likely be as an accessory to add some casual activity to your daily routine, not as a standalone exercise workout.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a neg also, but I would return it if you can. You're better off doing a floor exercise of one kind or another or going for a walk. (Look up popsugar fitness on YouTube.)

Possible exception is if you're mobility-impaired, but then, I'd think a full-size exercise machine would be much better.

If you're stuck with it, you could use it while watching tv or using a computer, if you have a standing desk.
  • alissa7425
    alissa7425 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I normally don't post, but I actually have a similar stepper that I love and that definitely helped me get off my rear. Instead of sitting and mindlessly eating while I watch TV I hop on this bad boy. If I'm sort of casually pedaling it doesn't burn much, but if I'm pushing I can burn about 100-120 calories every mile worth of steps. Higher number if I do a HIIT sort of workout, lower if I'm steady state. Note- I use the heart rate monitor on my Garmin to track the calorie burn, and that number tracks with other exercise of similar HR exertion. Hope that helps!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have one but as stated it's just an accessory to my other, significantly more intense cardio and lifting exercise. I have, um, issues with getting out and walking so I just hop on this to get some steps in. But it really is the equivalent of a walk and at my fitness level not a huge calorie burner. If I hop on straight after a workout I can maintain a reasonable heart rate if i also keep the pace up a bit. Outside of exercise my heart rate is low. But I do find it useful. I don't have the space for a full size machine of any kind.