New and trying Keto

Options
Hi everyone,
New here, been trying keto for about 2 weeks. Not going so well. Eating right but no weight loss.
Good luck everyone!

Replies

• himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb, but not so intense at Keto. Basically 20-25% daily intake is carb. I think keto is like 5-10% right? Anyways, best of luck! let's support one another!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You would have to not be in ketosis yet then, because you drop several pounds in water weight (always) when that has set in. Have you been logging long enough to show your pattern? If so, do you want to open your diary for others to look for pitfalls? Do you weigh and measure foods/liquids?
  • 41LisaB
    41LisaB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary.
    I’m learning new things every day. Stopped the sugar in my coffee for one. I want to lose 50lbs.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I paged through it, and I think it went back to the 9th, maybe (?). There were 2-3 days where the carbs were a little high for getting into ketosis in the beginning. You also don't really come close to your fat goal, and I'd encourage you to do that. Some find it scary to do, but it really is fine (unless you don't have a gallbladder). Your actual protein goal is just a little high, but you don't get really close to that either, so that isn't a contributing factor. If you haven't been doing any, exercise would help in depleting your glycogen stores.

If you continue to stick to your carb goal, you should be in ketosis before long at all. Perhaps others who are knowledgeable on the subject will see your thread, and have additional insights.

I should also say that I see a lot of people who say they *want* to lose weight have lots of stops and starts in their efforts. If you really, really want to, or truly need to, you should decide that you're *going to*, and then do it.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out though it isn't the only LCHF-themed group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing keto for about 3.5 months, and I didn’t feel so great either for about the first 2 months. Now i feel awesome! I’ve lost 26 lbs. Try to stick with it, and be sure you’re getting enough electrolytes. Also, be sure that you’re not eating too many calories, they still count! I sent you a friend request.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I was on strict keto for 4 months and lost 22 lbs. Since then I've moved to a more modified keto. If you have any questions, message me and I will try my best to help :smile:
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't enough time to judge a diet, so I'd say give it 2 more weeks. But keto won't make you lose any faster than regular cico. It can help with cravings and help you control how much you eat, which is beneficial, but it in of itself does not cause weight loss any more than any other calorie deficient diet. I'm low carb and it has helped me tremendously control binging and lose weight and inches.. but the scales LIE! Try measuring instead. I plateau randomly for a few weeks at a time, but my clothes are getting looser, and my measurements are shrinking. I'll suddenly lose several pounds randomly.. sometimes in a five pound drop.. and it looks like I lost 5 pounds that week. But according to happy scale, I'm averaging anywhere from 1.3 to 2 pounds a week loss.
  • 41LisaB
    41LisaB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    The scale has been my enemy. The # isn’t going down but I feel so much better. My clothes are fitting nicely, not so tight in the tummy, my skin looks brighter, bags under my eyes are shrinking and not as dark.
  • jpaulparis
    jpaulparis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What I enjoy the most isn't just the high probability of succeeding in weight loss...
    But the innumerable health benefits that coincide with reintroducing fats into your system.
    I've witnessed a decrease in seizure activity in epilepsy sufferers....
    Increase in attention span and elimination of medications in children with ADHD...
    Diabetic patients that have seen an incredible balance in their blood sugars...
    I myself had suffered from high blood pressure for years...have completely come off my medications. ..
    Simply by increasing my fat intake and dropping my carbs below 30 grams a day.
    Initially, I rejected the whole concept of this diet as hogwash... until a patient of ours who's been wheelchair bound for 15 years and is unable to have much of an exercise routine. .. was able to drop 30 pounds in 3 weeks and dramatically reduce her seizure activity.

I'll never go back to a 'normal' American diet again.