Obese dieters- what worked?

Options

Replies

• empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    @empressjasmin Look at your life and identify one bad food habit that you're going to change, then work on changing that one bad food habit.
    If you get that one habit changed and still want to lose more weight, identify another and change it. Keep making small changes until you get the fitness you want.

That’s super awesome advice. I have also been told to take it one day at a time. Both are great suggestions!! Thank you!!

• empressjasmin
    Options

You’re awesome!! Thanks for sharing. I too have/had some of the same struggles so looking forward to taking some of your great advice!
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for many years.But I'd built up too much fat from overeating sweets/desserts,and just too much food.
    I started lifting weights regularly again.An hour or more about five to six days a week.
    I stopped eating sugary foods.I ate more whole foods.More protein.Meat and vegetables.
    That took off about 30 pounds in less than a year.
    Now I'm still eating very basic whole foods.But I'm following more of the Keto,or Primal idea of eating.
    No sugary junk foods.I get my carbs from veg,and some fruit.
    I still lift weights,and walk,and ride a stationary bike.I really enjoy lifting.So it's a great motivation.
    Best wishes.
  • sms2017
    sms2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. Never realized how many calories I consume every day. Once you see it and control it, your body adjusts.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    sms2017 wrote: »
    Calorie deficit. Never realized how many calories I consume every day. Once you see it and control it, your body adjusts.

Very very true. Just in the two days that I have started back with my consistency and logging, I’m amazed at how much I previously ate. My goodness! Thanks for sharing!
  • kmbmoutswi
    kmbmoutswi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi yall, useful insights and points here that i agree with and id say have also helped me such as calorie deficit, exercise, honesty to self etc, it all makes sense. Also, having partners in the journey of weight loss for accountability and motivation i find helps a great deal. Team work makes the dream work right? Im so optimisitic too and mfp is just a great tool for all sorta goals. On that note guys, please feel free to add me as a friend, a great community is empowering. Lets do this, love yall. <3<3o:)
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I employed a highly qualified 'body transformation coach'

He set me up on here at a deficit of 700 per day 40%c 30% p 30%f

I've been weighing, logging, calorie counting consistently for 92 days and lost 36lbs at last weigh in

Have got all the metabolic diseases and am still at BMI 45 and body fat 43%

It's working for me so far
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Before I came to MFP was already almost 90 pounds down from my original. One thing Ive learned is there is no magic plan. It all comes down to calories in vs calories out for weight loss. From what ive learned it has to be about changing your lifestyle, or else as soon as you get off your "diet" it all comes back. The magic is those days you want to say **** it but still continue on. The days that your friends are all gorging themselves on whatever and you say no thanks. Everyone can be super motivated for a few days, a week, or even a month, but those that remain motivated and make lifestyle changes are the ones who truly succeed at this in my experience. I lost 140+ pounds and then once i was happy in a relationship I started making small sacrifices and changing my lifestyle for worse again. 2 Years later ive gained back 50 pounds of it, but am dedicated again. Just stay strong, stay dedicated, and keep track of your food. Also, BE HONEST with yourself. Even if you will put say a food diary to private, just keep track, a true track of what you eat/drink, do not shortchange the amounts or modify what you put in the diary just because it looks better, that does not rob anybody but yourself.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Time and deficit
    Nothing more - nothing less...

I've lost 68 lbs since 1/1/17 --- do i lose every week? Nope.. Do i feel that sometimes its tough? Yup .... But it is what it is and its a choice i'm making.

What i am doing is taking it a day at a time ... but there's no magic here and you just have to get out of that expectation of miracles.... it takes 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb ... in a week that's 500cals a day under your needed energy

So far i've not even really taken to doing much extra activity so my loss is just food
    I've upped my protein levels as i find that makes hunger more controlled
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What worked:
    Patience and persistence. Stopped thinking diet. Educated myself on diet and exercise. Forgot whatever woo or broscience I learned. I didn't lose weight until I got that out of my head.

Used a food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids. Learned what a serving size is and worked around that to plan meals. Found low calorie, high volume satisfying substitutes of my favorite foods. And became a low cal foodie. I love finding new foods to add to my day. Lots of veggies helped too. I'm a volume eater and will probably always be one.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have tried every gimmick out there all of my adult life. I have gotten my weight off 3 times but always rebounded right back with a few extra pounds to boot. Now I have always "liked" to assume that Im a fairly educated and intelligent adult, so now wonder why the heck it took me until almost 50 to have my "light bulb" moment . . . this is NOT temporary, you do not go on a diet to lose weight and then just go back to "normal", you have to live what you want to be, for life.
    I had a few things transpire last year to bring me to my journey and on January 15, 2017 I made a promise to myself to get my health in order. I started out promising that I would be dedicated to log every morsel on MFP for 12 weeks. I would make sure to weigh and measure everything and LOG MY FOOD BEFORE I ATE IT. Part of this journey is educational, you have to find what works for you but I can confirm that complete dedication to eat as healthy as you can with whole foods (no processed if possible) and at a calorie deficit each day, adding in 3 basic strength training workouts and a walk 7 days per week will bring your results.
    My first 12 weeks I lost 24 pounds; however, keep in mind that was complete dedication on my part as I didn't miss one workout nor did I eat above my deficit number ever, not once. If you make one mistake and overeat one day you will likely not lose that week at all, you have to have the dedication and patience to not only do everything in your power to make your health your #1 priority but to understand that some weeks you won't lose and some you will feel like a rock star with the weight falling off you. I started eating about 1450 calories per day and am down to closer to 1250 maximum now as Im getting closer to my goal.
    No matter what if you keep it up the scale will trend down. It is never as fast as anyone wants but it does work. I have been on my journey for 11months and have lost just over 60 lbs. Some months I lost 8 to 10 lbs but some only 3 lbs. Our bodies will not react the same way, sometimes you are more tired and hungry and sometimes the stars align and everything works the way you want . . . thats life . . . we don't take a break from life so why do we find constant excuses to take a break from treating our health and bodies with respect?
    Im NEVER rebounding back again because I know now that what I put into my body will show and I have the respect for myself now to know this isn't a diet, this isn't temporary, this is my life for life.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    So much awesome help and advice here! Thank you all for sharing your stories and what you have done. I definitely motivated even more!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Very slow progress is still progress. Be patient.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had success when i turned my focus towards health, and not weight loss. Do as a healthy person does (exercise, eat plenty of veggies, get quality sleep, etc) and the weight goes away without thinking about it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    I had success when i turned my focus towards health, and not weight loss. Do as a healthy person does (exercise, eat plenty of veggies, get quality sleep, etc) and the weight goes away without thinking about it.

Not if you’re not in a caloric deficit.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »
    The first thing I did was research what people who maintain substantial weight loss do. I've lost 20-30 pounds a couple times before--and then gained 40-50. One accepted behaviour is they track their food intake. So I told myself I would just track my intake for the rest of my life.

I read an analogy here on MFP in my early days equating your food intake with your finances. You don't get paid and then decide you should buy a car because you feel like it. You have to think of your calories like that, too.

So then in November 2016, I started tracking my food. Not restricting. I just needed to be honest with myself to see what I was eating. That immediately led to some changes, as I decided I didn't want to log that cookie.

Then I read these forums voraciously. I read the stickies. I read everything. I learned what was woo, and that CICO is basic science.

In January, I started restricting. I started at 220 pounds at 5'8". I put myself down for a pound a week loss. Most days I still went over, but I started losing. Not a ton but some. I went on my honeymoon, gained some, went right back to tracking.

In July, one day I got 10k steps on my Fitbit. I decided to do that again the next day. And the next, for a couple months. I don't hit 10k every day, but it increases the calories I can eat which helps me stay in my goal range. I hit it most days. Start early in the day and it's pretty easy. It's also really good for helping me sleep.

After losing about 25 pounds, at the beginning of October I've switched to a half a pound a week goal. I still try to have enough calories left over to get a pound a week, but I don't sweat it if not. Any day I am below maintenance is a good day. Heck, some days over maintenance are good.

This past week, I've started a workout program incorporating cardio, weights, Pilates, etc. (21 Day Fix if you're curious.) It's hard. I am taking it easy. Better I do it halfway than not at all, or worse, that I just quit in frustration. I'll get there. Consistency is key.

It took me five years to put on 50 pounds. I've knocked almost 30 off in 10 months so far. I'm not in a hurry. I've finally realized it's not about getting in a bikini. It's about being strong and healthy. It's about being proud to climb up the two flights of stairs at work with no problem when it used to leave me gasping for breath.

For me, it's also about not being uncomfortable. Usually that has been my cue to just quit. But ok, maybe just a LITTLE uncomfortable. But keep doing it.

Plus I just had fajitas tonight. They were good. It's probably set me back a couple days in the long run, but in the long run, I want to live a life where fajitas are part of it.

Don't sweat it and be patient. And track your food. And move your body.