Anyone doing Wheat free/Gluten Free??

Options
I have failed in the past to stick to any eating plan (slimming world and weight watchers and calorie counting) because when I eat WHEAT my appetite seems to become huge and I always end up eating 3,000 calories in a day.

I went to a holistic therapist recently and confirmed my yeast/wheat/gluten intolerence.

It is my first day. I've put myself on a 2 week plan to lose half a stone to start with.

Is anyone else doing gluten free/yeast free??

Would you like to buddy up? I need the support as psychologically I get anxious.

Replies

• Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm gf and have gluten intolerance :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Holistic therapist? Did this person have a medical license? I'm going to say no, because your symptoms were wheat = hunger. If you said you had stomach pain, cramping, constipation, diarrhea, or, you know, signs of an intolerance, I'd say get tested. I call bullkitten. An intolerance doesn't give you an appetite.

You're also on a 2 week plan to lose half a stone??? 1 stone = 14 lbs. 1/2 stone = 7 lbs. Losing 3.5 lbs/week is not realistic. It may happen if there's water weight to lose, but you should not structure your calorie loss around that unless you're morbidly obese. Your profile says you're trying to lose 46 lbs, so I'm going to guess nope.

Well, if they do go gluten free, they will cut out a lot of carbs and lose a lot of water weight, so they might hit the goal for 1-2 weeks.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free because it's a migraine trigger for me...I didn't lose any weight giving up wheat.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    CoriPiche wrote: »
    You could easily lose that much in two weeks. I'm doing keto. And I've lost 7 pounds in a week and a half before.

and most of that loss was water (this from a person who regularly eats keto) not fat so no real long term change in weight.

OP - gluten/wheat/grain intolerance is the fad of the day and w/o elimination diets/medical testing there is no real way to determine that you are intolerant. Also, 7 lbs of fat in 2 weeks is a VERY unrealistic goal.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    CoriPiche wrote: »
    You could easily lose that much in two weeks. I'm doing keto. And I've lost 7 pounds in a week and a half before.

We all have, whether or not we've "done keto". As others have pointed out, most of it is water weight. Plan for 1-2 lbs a week, and ignore what happens in the first two weeks because it's *not* going to be typical of what you can lose in the long run and still be healthy.

To the OP: failure to control your appetite is either related to your not eating foods that will fill you up (think replacing refined carb calories with fats and proteins), or to behavioral issues (how you think about food). Avoiding gluten isn't going to address these issues.
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free because it's a migraine trigger for me...I didn't lose any weight giving up wheat.

You don't lose weight giving up wheat. You lose weight by eating less.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Holistic therapist? Does this person also offer Tarot Card readings and sell aromatherapy candles and incense?

I find that visiting a real doctor with a license to practice medicine is quite helpful when I have medical or health related questions or concerns.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If wheat products make you hungry...don't eat wheat products.

Carbs in general make me hungrier. I know that eating a large amount of carbs in the AM (aka, waffles, bread, pancakes, etc) will be make a snacky beast all day. So I don't eat them. If I want them, I may make them for dinner since it's at the end of the day.

I didn't need a diagnoses for that.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im doing a high protein diet - mainly to help maintain muscle. to hit my protein targets im eating a lot of Fat Free dairy and low fat Meat. I didnt make a decision to cut wheat/gluten - but in order to hit my protein targets high carb foods never make it into my diet plan.

Im averaging 3lb a week. 22lb /10kg in 6 weeks. My target is to lose 20kg total - im sure the weight loss will slow as i get closer to my target but early on you should manage significant cuts if you stick to a diet plan and do mild exercise for maintenance.
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eating wheat increases your appetite therefore you're gluten intolerant?? that's a serious leap in logic. And it sounds like your holistic therapist may have been telling you what you want to hear.

It's more likely to be personal habit and mentality that's making you think you need to eat more when you eat wheat products. If you think cutting it out will help you then you should give it a go, but maybe talk to a medical professional before you start investing in gluten free products etc.

Good luck with your 2 week challenge! Even if what you're losing is mostly water weight it's nice to see the scales go down and it might give you the boost you need to get you going on your journey.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, I find it bloats me and gives me stomach cramps so I try to avoid it. I'm also trying to lose about 10lbs but doubt that cutting out gluten will do much for that. Feel free to add me if you want and view my food diary for ideas. But half a stone in 2 weeks is a lot to lose?? x
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    sebedina wrote: »
    I have failed in the past to stick to any eating plan (slimming world and weight watchers and calorie counting) because when I eat WHEAT my appetite seems to become huge and I always end up eating 3,000 calories in a day.

The days i breathe i end up eating at least 1000kcal in a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Im wheat free. Experimented and went off it felt soooo much better and haven't gone back. No more energy ups and downs. For fun I ate some bread to see what would happen. Felt so sore, tired and bloated. Soreness probably due to muscle being filled with glycogen and the tiredness due to the increased sugar then drastic decrease. Worst part was even though I ate under my daily cals, I gained 4 lbs. in 1 day that wheat just sucked up all the water weight it could. took a couple days to get the water weight off again.

I know you don't loose fat by not eating wheat like many have stated. But experiment and see how you feel eating and not eating it, then choose how you want to feel.

Regaining glycogen doesn't make your muscles feel sore...