Stone Soup

Options
sitstaygimmeeakiss
sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
Anyone else know how to make stone soup??

This became a favorite to tell after reading a children's near-classic to my kids when they were little.

You put a big pot of water on the stove. Put a big rock in it.

Look in the fridge. Take out all the veggies you can find: onions, carrots - anything else in the refrigerator. Today for me, it was also kale, zucchini, summer squash, collard greens, a few already cooked potatoes, carrots, & peas, collard greens, greens fr our own teeny garden - all cut very small (esp the greens). Look for anything else that can go in the pot - for me: about 1/2 cup rice, a couple cups of black beans. Chinese fermented black beans, vinegar, soy sauce, a dash of cinnamon - yes, cinnamon (going for a bit of Chinese 5 spice flavor w/out all the 5 spices, lol), oyster sauce... schriaca sauce :D - oh, and I threw in a few long strands of anise -the inedible fronds, to add to the flavor (which I took out & threw away after cooking). Added all the liquid I had left fr marinated roasted red peppers.

Now take out the stone. OK, I didn't really add a rock or stone - but that's so fun to tell little kids!!! :bigsmile:

Stone soup - for when there seems to be nothing in the house to eat!!

:drinker:

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    lol Love it!!! I was actually thinking, please tell me she washed the rock!! Then, I get to the end and find it's a joke. haha Guess I'm still a kid at heart. :)
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    That's how I do stir-fry. if my vegetables are about to turn, I just cut them all up, and make a giant stir-fry. Then I'll eat my huge filling meal (that is 90% vegetables lol) and then divide, and freeze the rest. Quick lunches for the rest of the week :)
  • Kmart4910
    Options
    I remember Ma telling the story of Stone Soup on one of my favorite episodes of "Little House on the Prairie". Thanks for making me smile today! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    Anyone else know how to make stone soup??

This became a favorite to tell after reading a children's near-classic to my kids when they were little.

You put a big pot of water on the stove. Put a big rock in it.

Look in the fridge. Take out all the veggies you can find: onions, carrots - anything else in the refrigerator. Today for me, it was also kale, zucchini, summer squash, collard greens, a few already cooked potatoes, carrots, & peas, collard greens, greens fr our own teeny garden - all cut very small (esp the greens). Look for anything else that can go in the pot - for me: about 1/2 cup rice, a couple cups of black beans. Chinese fermented black beans, vinegar, soy sauce, a dash of cinnamon - yes, cinnamon (going for a bit of Chinese 5 spice flavor w/out all the 5 spices, lol), oyster sauce... schriaca sauce :D - oh, and I threw in a few long strands of anise -the inedible fronds, to add to the flavor (which I took out & threw away after cooking). Added all the liquid I had left fr marinated roasted red peppers.

Now take out the stone. OK, I didn't really add a rock or stone - but that's so fun to tell little kids!!! :bigsmile:

Stone soup - for when there seems to be nothing in the house to eat!!

:drinker:
    Get stoned and EVERYTHING in the house that's edible tastes good.
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Get stoned and EVERYTHING in the house that's edible tastes good.

Oh, good Lord, hahaha. Didn't even connect those dots til I read this...
  • WinkieInOKC
    Options
    Hi Soup Lady,
    When I taught 1st grade and read the story to the kids, I DID use a clean sone about the size of a small potato. We put it all into the croc pot so they could smell it cooking all day. I allowed the kids to bring ingredients. This was back in the day when we could cook in the classroom and it was safe. Be careful if a child brings salt to check it; had one bring sugar thinking it was salt! FUNNY
    Your post reminds me how filling soup can be, so think I'll whip some up at home - sans stone. Retired Teacher in Oklahoma City
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    you got me! I'm sooo going to try this on my kids!