Need to get healthy and lose weight for my wedding

Options
My big motivation at first is my wedding in 6 months, but I found out today my dad has a bad heart. He has had a sextuple bypass a few years back, two stents, and angioplasty. His heart only has a 20% ejection fraction and he is now on a transplant list. He has always had heart issues from childhood, and I have had a murmur all my life. I can’t help but wonder if I inherited his issues and his present is my future. I want to get healthy now even more to protect my heart so I can live a long life for my daughter.

It will be hard, I love pizza and Diet Coke. I hate exercise... but I gotta learn to love it!

Need support to lose 20 pounds and change my lifestyle. Add me please!!

Replies

• daliagetsfit
    daliagetsfit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Gotta love a girl who knows how to spell "lose" correctly. I'll add you. ☺
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You can do this, and if you get on track now. 20 lbs in 6 months is totally doable. Try not set your weekly goal at 2 lbs a week. If you are trying to do this the right way, you don't want to feel restricted. There is a big difference with a lotted calories for 1lb a week and 2 lbs a week.

As far as exercise, find something you like. It doesn't have to be extreme, to lose weight. Walking a mile a day, eating at your caloric goal will get you there. Invest in a food scale, learn to accurately log your food.

Use your dad's current situation as your motivation. You don't want your daughter in your situation 20 years down the line. Help her live a healthy life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with pizza or diet coke in moderation
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I eat fast food on the weekends and at my house we have 'Pizza Mondays', so really only cooking Tuesday - Friday. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you just lower your portion size :)

Domino's: Use to eat 3-4 slices - Now I stick to 2 slices
    McDonalds: Use to eat 2 Double Cheeseburgers and Medium Fry - Now I eat 1 Cheeseburger and a small fry
    Taco Bell: Use to eat 2 burritos and a soft taco - Now I eat 1 burrito and a soft taco

Just a couple of examples about what I've done. I hope they help! Everyone is different so try a bunch of things out (except for fads and miracle pills lol) and you'll find what works for you :) good luck and congrats on the wedding!

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fitness nut here - ultrarunner and off-season weightlifter. Add me if you want to figure out what kind of exercise you like. :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise, be active doing what you like. For me, swimming and yoga. For you, ??? Just log everything you eat and you will see where your calories are coming from and what you can cut without suffering. For pizza, eat a salad or some veggies first, it will be easier to eat less pizza if you aren't starving.
  • CoUrTnEyAnN928
    CoUrTnEyAnN928 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the advice! I actually really love to run, but I know I need some strength training and that is where I struggle the most. Watching me do yoga is hilarious lol
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Gotta love a girl who knows how to spell "lose" correctly. I'll add you. ☺

Lol, I've noticed that an extra "o" accompanying the word "lose" seems to be somewhat common here.
  • vikster11111
    vikster11111 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time. 20lbs is totally doable or maybe even more. You can do it!
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Me too! I want to lose 10kg by April. I think it gets easier once you have set your eyes on a dress. Go girl! ☺