Can't eat 1,200 a day (i NEVER thought i'd say that!)

Options
I have recently started the paleo/primal diet (no processed foods at all) and have discovered that I am struggling to eat the full 1200 calories a day. Believe me -- I NEVER thought I'd be saying that but here we are. I eat every 2-3 hours, but with the focus on the protein and veggies I just can't seem to eat enough! And if I get to the gym...forget about it.

My question to you all is: If i am eating every 2-3 hours, am not hungry, and have still been seeing weight loss the past 2 weeks....how bad is it to be eating closer to 1,000 calories a day? I don't want to eat crap just to fill the goal (and my diet doesnt really let me!) but I don't want to stall my metabolism by going into starvation mode either.

I am a 24 year old girl whose BMR is 1343 and with my activity level my base line calorie burn is 1680. I have been doing a fair amount of online research and have found a few sites that say that as long as you are eating 50-70% of your BMI each day then you can avoid that...but most places agree on the 1200 so I don't know what to believe! HELP!

Replies

• julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You can easily fill some calories with some nuts or something. Try cocoa roasted or plain almonds. There are plenty of ways to get a couple hundred extra calores without eating "crap".
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    add in some avocados...good healthy fats
  • mommy2halfdozen
    mommy2halfdozen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    watching. I am having the same problems. Though my diet is not as strict.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can easily fill some calories with some nuts or something. Try cocoa roasted or plain almonds. There are plenty of ways to get a couple hundred extra calores without eating "crap".

Or how about pine-nuts on/with your veggies?
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    First off, can I have some of your recipes??? I am just not creative enough to be able to eat no processed food but I would LOVE to! Try more cheese or nuts and stuff like that.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    Sometimes I run into that as well. I only tend to go over my goal if I eat out
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue myself. I sometimes get close but just like u said, I don't want to eat something just to eat something.
  • soccertra
    Options
    I already eat nuts as at least one of my snacks during the day! The other is usually a hard boiled egg or some fruit. Breakfast is usually eggs or chobani yogurt (i eat dairy...not all paleo/primal people do). Lunch and dinner are leftover meat/veggies from the night before. I will also drink a glass of organic whole milk at night as my last snack. I am still averaging around 1000.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Can I PLEASE see your diary?
    Sorry I didn't answer the question.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would say if your BMR is 1323, you really should be aiming for that number.

1000 is kind of bad, in my opinion, because you are training your body to make due with less food overall, so it will be more difficult to adjust to maintenence calories. It takes a while for these effects to kick in- weeks and often months but it's still a very difficult hole to dig out of.

I'm sure there are foods you can eat to up your cals- Avocados and nuts should be ok? As long as you buy organic and such. Do you have a food processor? On this blog- www.ohsheglows.com- the author has different recipies for homemade nutbutters- almond primarialy- but peanut and other nuts, that you could incorporate that would stay with in your diet.

Good luck!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am eating a very similar way (lots of lean protein, non fat dairy and veggies) and I have trouble getting to 1100 calories! I am not hungry very often, eat every 2-3 hours as well...and am losing at a safe rate. When I was eating like crap, sure, I got enough calories (1400) but I was not losing and felt sluggish. Now, I feel good...
  • K3llyhunt
    K3llyhunt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Paleoplan.com has a ton of yummy ideas including snacks. Everything I have tried on there is good. Even my kids like it so must taste good lol
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day. You mentioned the gym, so I'd say you're pretty active! Are you staying away from all caffine as well? Remember, natural products have caffine which can make you feel artificially full. Tea is a GREAT example of this!

Why not double up on your protein during 1 meal to make up 200-300 calories, just to be on the safe side?

I aim to consume 1200-1350/day. Not necessarily NET, but at the very least consume, because it continues my weight loss and allows me flexibility, though I find I feel at my best (mood, physical shape wise, etc) when I NET 1200/day.
  • soccertra
    Options
    First off, can I have some of your recipes??? I am just not creative enough to be able to eat no processed food but I would LOVE to! Try more cheese or nuts and stuff like that.

i'm pretty new to the idea so my recipes aren't too exciting yet...but check out some of the paleo or primal threads on here for ideas. its surprisingly much easier then i thought it would be! below are some of the websites i have been using to adjust. good luck!

http://www.paleodietandliving.com/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/

http://thepaleodiet.com/about/

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
  • beccab84
    beccab84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would definitly recommend not going below 1200 calories. That is still really low but going below that is harmful. Even at 1200 calories you may start to see your weight loss hinder at some point. If you body isn't getting enough calories it decides to put itself into starvation mode and refuses to burn anything. I do argee with previous poster in saying to add some raw almonds to up your calories. I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can!!
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    I have recently started the paleo/primal diet (no processed foods at all) and have discovered that I am struggling to eat the full 1200 calories a day. Believe me -- I NEVER thought I'd be saying that but here we are. I eat every 2-3 hours, but with the focus on the protein and veggies I just can't seem to eat enough! And if I get to the gym...forget about it.

My question to you all is: If i am eating every 2-3 hours, am not hungry, and have still been seeing weight loss the past 2 weeks....how bad is it to be eating closer to 1,000 calories a day? I don't want to eat crap just to fill the goal (and my diet doesnt really let me!) but I don't want to stall my metabolism by going into starvation mode either.

I am a 24 year old girl whose BMR is 1343 and with my activity level my base line calorie burn is 1680. I have been doing a fair amount of online research and have found a few sites that say that as long as you are eating 50-70% of your BMI each day then you can avoid that...but most places agree on the 1200 so I don't know what to believe! HELP!

I follow a clean eating lifestyle: whole foods with focus on veggies, fruits, whole grain, nuts and healthy fats . It can be VERY difficult to reach 1200 once you've cut our the processed foods. I also have elinimated as much sugar as I can (I've learned my body doesn't like sugar and in fact causes major bloat for me)...I highly recommend "The Clean Eating Diet" by Tosca Reno...in fact I recommend all of her books (I am currently rereading "Your Best Body Now" also by Tosca), as well as Clean Eat magazine. There are amazing recipes in all of her books and the magazine. She also provides grocery lists and substitutions for special diets (like vegetarian, gluten free, etc.).

I am learning that it is all about planning for sure. I stalled when I was not getting enough calories as well, BUT once I began to keep track of my calories per day on MFP I realized why, I was VERY LOW below the minimum of 1200. Now, with the amount I burn each day my biggest hurdle isn't so much consuming 1200 per day but consuming enough to replace what I burn to ensure I am feeding my metabolism enough!

On my rest days (Sunday and Monday) I stick to lower 1200 since I am not actually burning anything on those days..although I have been known to still walk or do yoga.
  • soccertra
    Options
    Some good ideas and support here. Thank you!!
  • coralcrepe
    Options
    just checked it out palioplan.com. really good stuff :)