Is 1600 calories too much when trying to lose weight for a woman?

Options
So I'm a 20 year old woman and trying to lose weight. Right now I weigh around 84 kg(185 pounds) and I've already lost 10 kg(22 pounds) but now I feel like my weight is standing still. I go to the gym for an hour 2 days a week and I walk a lot and move during the day, I walk at least 10 thousand steps everyday. How many calories should I eat? Is 1600 too much?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My first question is how are you tracking your intake? Are you using a food scale?
  • liljakaren1997
    liljakaren1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My first question is how are you tracking your intake? Are you using a food scale?

Yes I use a scale and I track almost everything that I eat. According to my Garmin smartwatch(I know they are not 100% accurate) I'm burning about 2000 calories a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Depends...there's not some universal answer to that question. One's calorie requirements can vary substantially depending on their stats and activity levels.

My wife would lose anywhere between 1 and 1.5 Lbs per week eating 1600 calories per day. She's 5'2" - 5'3" and 42...avid runner and chaser arounder of a 7 and 5 year old.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight been stalled? If it's less than about 4 weeks, try to be patient. Have you lowered your intake since you lost the first 10kg?
  • liljakaren1997
    Options
    When you say you "feel" like your weight is standing still, what exactly does that mean? In what time period have you lost 22 pounds and how long has it been since you've lost?

I've lost it since the begging of July. When I step on a scale I never really see the number go down, it's been like that for almost a month. Maybe it's because I'm gaining muscle, but I don't know
  • liljakaren1997
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    How long has your weight been stalled? If it's less than about 4 weeks, try to be patient. Have you lowered your intake since you lost the first 10kg?

No I actually started with eating way less, only about 1100-1200 calories a day but people were telling me I wasn't eating enough so I increased it a little bit
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For which woman? For me 1800 to 2000 is enough to lose weight.

You've been stuck for a month? How's your food logging accuracy? Are you using a scale? has anything changed that might cause you to retain excess water?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    It will depend on the woman. Height, weight and activity level and age determine your calorie needs. I am 5'3.5" and 120 pounds and 49 years old. I would definitely lose weight on 1600 calories, but I am pretty active. Another woman my height and age who wasn't very active might maintain at 1600. Is your weight actually standing still, or do you just "feel" like it is?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you say you "feel" like your weight is standing still, what exactly does that mean? In what time period have you lost 22 pounds and how long has it been since you've lost?

I've lost it since the begging of July. When I step on a scale I never really see the number go down, it's been like that for almost a month. Maybe it's because I'm gaining muscle, but I don't know

By "never really see the number go down," does that mean you've been at the same weight for a month now?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I ate 1650-1700 and lost 80 lbs, I was also 15 years older than you and about as active.

So no, not too much.

Your number of 2000 calories burned in a day at your age and weight seems extremely low though. I walked 11k steps yesterday and I burned as much... and I'm 39 and 145 lbs.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Not too much at all. I'm over double your age, only 5' 2.75", and weigh just 4 pounds more than you, never come near 10k steps or visit a gym, average 1900/day, and lost 41 pounds in the last year.
  • liljakaren1997
    Options

Nah, it's actually really hard if not impossible for women to gain muscle that quickly. Two hours a week in the gym and 10k steps is awesome, but not remotely enough to gain that sort of muscle while eating in a deficit. But it's possible that you're eating more than you think and have hit maintenance. It's also possible you've just had some bad luck with water weight and actually have lost some fat and just need a woosh to come along.

Well I see a lot of difference in my appearance, and people have been telling me how much skinnier I look. I can see my arms getting more toned so idk. I used to go to the gym 4-5 times a week but now I only go twice, but I work out harder because I have a trainer now.
  • liljakaren1997
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I ate 1650-1700 and lost 80 lbs, I was also 15 years older than you and about as active.

So no, not too much.

Your number of 2000 calories burned in a day at your age and weight seems extremely low though. I walked 11k steps yesterday and I burned as much... and I'm 39 and 145 lbs.

Yeah well those watches are not accurate, I think mine only counts the calories I burn when resting and when I walk/run, not when doing other exercises.
  • liljakaren1997
    Options
    For which woman? For me 1800 to 2000 is enough to lose weight.

You've been stuck for a month? How's your food logging accuracy? Are you using a scale? has anything changed that might cause you to retain excess water?

I would say it's pretty accurate, I use a scale to weigh it. Maybe I'm drinking more water now? Idk
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

So no, not too much.

Yeah well those watches are not accurate, I think mine only counts the calories I burn when resting and when I walk/run, not when doing other exercises.

I don't know which garmin she has but mine tracks everything. It tracks during resting, walking, and can track during workouts, swimming, bike riding, running.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    "I don't know which garmin she has but mine tracks everything. It tracks during resting, walking, and can track during workouts, swimming, bike riding, running. "

There really is no consumer device that can accurately track each person's daily calorie burn.
  • gamespriteicon
    gamespriteicon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If your hitting 10,000 steps a day. Try going to MyFitnessPal, "Goals" (on the Home Tab), and set the activity level to "Lightly Active". That number is where you should probably work on hitting. Mine says 1,400 but I'm working on any number from 1,200 - 1,600, just depends on the day's meal choices. Defiantly in-taking less then I was before. And working within a range is more motivating and less stressful in my opinion.

I also work to get 11,000 steps 6 days a week. That is defiantly more than the 2,000-5,000 I used to get when I just wore my tracker instead of paying attention to it.

Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If your hitting 10,000 steps a day. Try going to MyFitnessPal, "Goals" (on the Home Tab), and set the activity level to "Lightly Active". That number is where you should probably work on hitting. Mine says 1,400 but I'm working on any number from 1,200 - 1,600, just depends on the day's meal choices. Defiantly in-taking less then I was before. And working within a range is more motivating and less stressful in my opinion.

I also work to get 11,000 steps 6 days a week. That is defiantly more than the 2,000-5,000 I used to get when I just wore my tracker instead of paying attention to it.

Good luck on the rest of your journey!

This is incorrect. 10,000+ steps is considered active, as in, between (which is above lightly active) somewhat active and highly active. I've also read it's approximately equivalent to walking 5 miles.

With the intake and progress I listed above for myself, and considering myself lightly active, the OP could eat more than I do, and could lose a similar amount.