Money vs trainer

Options
Well I am losing my trainer due to money, the gym I go to is pushing me to
1. increase my payment or drop the trainer,
2. les times going to keep trainer
3. get out of contract with no issues, lose trainer but gain my wife at the gym
I'm on the fence on all 3 anyone have input.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Choose 3 then search for a gym/trainer combo at a price you prefer.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    How often do you work with your trainer now? How much is your membership and since you mentioned a contract, how long is it for?

Sorry, but a little more info would help. Also, I worked with a trainer for a while but didn't want to keep paying so I've just been able to use what I've learned from him and progress on my own.
  • gsalazar70
    gsalazar70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @BZAH10 3x a week with trainer pay 150 month, contract still has 3 months left
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals? If just basic levels of fitness, then a trainer isn't really necessary (though I understand that having a trainer can provide motivation to stick to your program).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    At one point I had to cut my trainer from 2x to 1x per week due to budget. I felt I really needed a trainer during my weight loss journey to help my focus. Then trainer closed his studio, about the time I entered maintenance, so I've been a year without and have continued just fine on my own. I could get a trainer at the Y now, but so far have not felt the need.
    I know 100% I didn't NEED a trainer to lose weight, and most of our focus was on fitness, but it was very helpful and motivational to me personally.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What benefits do you get from the trainer?

If it's a plan, there are other ways to get a training plan.
    If it's accountability, can you get that somewhere else?
    If it's form/coaching, can you take and post videos? That only goes so far, but...
    Is it something else?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Hmm, $150 / month is pricey to me, but it depends on your area I guess. If your wife wants to join you at the gym then I'd take that option. If not, maybe work with the trainer once or twice a week?
  • gsalazar70
    Options
    The need of the trainer is manly because I have physical issues I'm dealing with. the trainer was help build my strength and balance back. But at this time the gym is about money. for me it's my diabetes and my physical heath that needs help. believe I'm not out of control with any thing just making sure I do things right. thanks for some input and I'm going with numbet 3 my wife and my heath rather than greed of the gym
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer but x1 week is fine for me. I can have a program to follow in the week but it has done me good to start practicing thinking up my own routines. I can't imagine I would be able to carry on the training long term. It has been over a year already. When I had less money I would only review a program with a trainer once a month then did more classes.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Did you pay $150/for a trainer? If so that's an a amazing deal!! Our gyms trainers are $500/month!!
    But from what you've said, I would go with option #3. Best of luck!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    $150 for 12 sessions? Wow that's an awesome deal!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    gsalazar70 wrote: »
    The need of the trainer is manly because I have physical issues I'm dealing with. the trainer was help build my strength and balance back. But at this time the gym is about money. for me it's my diabetes and my physical heath that needs help. believe I'm not out of control with any thing just making sure I do things right. thanks for some input and I'm going with numbet 3 my wife and my heath rather than greed of the gym

You'll be fine! In all honesty, diabetes management is really just about keeping yourself in a general good state of health. You don't need to be the fastest nor the strongest and shouldn't need a trainer to put together a reasonable program. Something as simple as 2-3 hours of moderate cardio a week, plus a couple of sessions per week of basic strength training could be all you need.

This is one of the few cases where the internet is actually your friend. You'll find tons of good suggestions for programs on this board or elsewhere.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Hmm, $150 / month is pricey to me, but it depends on your area I guess. If your wife wants to join you at the gym then I'd take that option. If not, maybe work with the trainer once or twice a week?

That's super cheap for having a trainer 3x per week.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    @BZAH10 3x a week with trainer pay 150 month, contract still has 3 months left

I'll assume then that you have been working out with this trainer for at least 9 months. (assuming a year contract with 3 months left thereon) After these 9 months, haven't you pretty much picked up on the routines and exercises your trainer has been focusing on? You can still do the routines and exercises on your own increasing reps or resistance as the trainer has in the past. What is the increase to? Does it include the gym fee? What would the new total be? Could you cut back to seeing the trainer once a week/month for a lesser fee and still have your wife join? Once the trainer provides you with a program you really don't need him/her to supervise you, do you?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    That is a great deal. The contract works both ways. They should honor the deal for the remaining three months. But if only given your choices Option 3.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Well I am losing my trainer due to money, the gym I go to is pushing me to
    1. increase my payment or drop the trainer,
    2. les times going to keep trainer
    3. get out of contract with no issues, lose trainer but gain my wife at the gym
    I'm on the fence on all 3 anyone have input.

i went 'huh?' at number three, and then my brain caught up.

EDIT since ninja: yeah, i would say that it's something to talk through with your wife. she's the one who presumably either

a) wants to work out as well
    b) knows more than us about how important the trainer is for your needs
    c) both of the above.

i was pissy the first time around and then set out to modify it. but tbh it still seems a little bit odd to me that you're even talking like she's merely one of the factors you're choosing between, instead of a person who might have an interest and an opinion all of her own.

but then again, i've never been married to anyone, so :tongue:
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a trainer?

Working out is quite simple.
  • gsalazar70
    edited October 2017
    Options
    To All
    Thanks for all the input. and you are all correct in so many different ways. I made my chose on the topic and the choes is me. I can only work in me I'm trying to lose 10 pounds for the last year. I was with the trainer for 3 with a 6 month contract.I have and will take the knowledge I gain wit everything else I know and I will lose the 10 pounds. Yes it does not seem like much but I wa 285 ponds at 5ft 5 and I'm 209 my goal 10 years ago was to get under 200. once I do that I will refocus on a new goal like to stay under 200. So once again you all showed me my sprit wa low and now I'm back.