Low Carb?

Options
So I was wondering if anyone has been doing the low carb diet? I have been against it for so long, but after recently learning that carbs can contribute to heart disease, I thought I might want to give it a try.

Anyone? and tips?

Replies

• twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Twisty is low carbing , I eat more carbs than Atkins would allow but I try to stay under 100 when I exercise less if I don't.
  • chromatique
    chromatique Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why I love low-carb eating:
    1 - all the sugar, and its attendant addiction - leaves your body. You are less hungry, no more cravings, no more feeling powerless around food

2 - you have more energy

The downside:

1 - I emotionally miss breads, starches... those comfort foods. But they are not healthy for me anyway

NOTE: For me, Atkins encourages too much fat. Stick with leaner meats and low to no-fat dairy. That's what my body now prefers.

I lost 100 pounds eating low carb. Over 3 years of eating a diet with regular carbs, I gained 40 pound back. I am now back to limited carbs, and will need to stay that way forever.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Low carb and not going back. I just feel SO much better than I ever did eating carbs. The first couple of weeks is tough but it gets better!
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb (I would say more limited carbs), I have had great success so far. I get a little discouraged about some of the recipes I find for "low carb" being so high in fat. Some of it is INSANE!!
    Add me if you wish
  • ChelseyL1015
    Options
    I know this has nothing to do with the topic but can someone please tell me how to post a question on the Forums? I'm new and don't know how to do it :/
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    YES, I have been low-carb for four months now and it is wonderful! It's not for everyone, but it's also not harmful to try it, and it does end up being the best choice for a lot of people.

There are literally hundreds of different chemicals that interact in our metabolisms. How efficiently your metabolism works, and what nutrients it uses well, can be influenced by your genetics, your activity level, how much sleep you're getting or by what part of your reproductive cycle you're on (yes, for men as well as women). No one guideline can address all of those different variables for every person. So the idea of a one-size-fits-all ratio doesn't make much sense, when you think about it. Each person has to figure out what will work for them.

For 20 years, I obeyed all the govt's rules about nutrient ratios, I worked hard and exercised hard, and I gained a steady 5-10 lb a year, and I had to endure all the judgments from people who assumed I was lazy or undisciplined 'cause "it's easy, just count your calories in, calories out." I'd say "I am," but their response was, "If you were, you'd be losing weight." In other words, I was a lazy, undisciplined liar, too. I got so frustrated that I had almost given up.

Until I met my current doctor, who explained the metabolic processes involved, tested me to see where my body was being inefficient/ineffective, and decided that the best approach for me was to severely restrict my carbs. Now I have been able to lose weight consistently for the first time in my life. In the past, any other diet has left me feeling b!!tchy, depressed and hungry. This lifestyle change, on the other hand, has been relatively easy and has cured my depression & mood swings. To me, that is an indication that this is the right path for me. My ratio is 5% carb, 30% fat, 65% protein but that's pretty drastic. I'd start smaller. :-)

Here is some more info on this subject:
    the documentary "Fat Head," available instantly on Netflix or Hulu.
    http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html
    http://www.nmsociety.org/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/metabolism-and-ketosis/
  • suncat
    suncat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just signed up today. My goal is to keep carbs under 100 grams/day. Is there a low carbing group I can join for support?