Rice serving 1/4 dry

Hi there just want to make sure that 1/4 dry cup of rice is for 2 servings. Starting to try new things and some don't say how many servings it makes. Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2017
    Hi there just want to make sure that 1/4 dry cup of rice is for 2 servings. Starting to try new things and some don't say how many servings it makes. Thanks

My rice bag says 1/4 dry is one serving at 150 calories...makes 3/4 cup prepared...but a serving is whatever you want it to me. The stated serving size on the package is just so you can do the math.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My rice bag says 1/4 dry is one serving at 150 calories...makes 3/4 cup prepared...but a serving is whatever you want it to me. The stated serving size on the package is just so you

Ok thanks for you help i just wanted to make sure
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I'd suggest weighing your dry rice in grams... And use an entry where you can enter it by grams.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    I'd suggest weighing your dry rice in grams... And use an entry where you can enter it by grams.

Thanks
  • chrisfuentes2005

So will i weight it the same after cooked. Because I do stove top with 2 cups of water and one cup of rice for a couple of serving. I weight my rice in grams to make one cups. Thanks for you help
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member

So will i weight it the same after cooked. Because I do stove top with 2 cups of water and one cup of rice for a couple of serving. I weight my rice in grams to make one cups. Thanks for you help

It's not going to weigh the same, it will have absorbed the cooking liquid. If it's water, your calories per serving will be the same. You can measure half of your finished rice either by weight or using a measuring cup, and it'll be your serving. In your case, you are cooking 4 1/4 cup servings of rice and eating 2 of those 1/4 cup servings for your meal, approx 320 calories for your rice.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    maryannprt wrote: »

It's not going to weigh the same, it will have absorbed the cooking liquid. If it's water, your calories per serving will be the same. You can measure half of your finished rice either by weight or using a measuring cup, and it'll be your serving. In your case, you are cooking 4 1/4 cup servings of rice and eating 2 of those 1/4 cup servings for your meal, approx 320 calories for your rice.

Ok thanks now i understand. When you want to make 2 serving how much water would you put in
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Generally speaking the proportions are the same, 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice. Check your package though because it can vary based on the variety of rice. Personally, I don't think it's worth my time to cook less than a cup of rice. You can use any leftovers for another meal.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    I do 100g dry rice as a portion, but I love me some rice!
  • volcanoplus
    volcanoplus Posts: 2 Member
    1 cup serves 4 and only just in my house. It also depends if you are having a spoonful of rice on the side of your plate or a bed of rice for a curry etc
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Depending on your scale, you *could* put your pan on the scale and zero it out, add the rice (mark the grams raw somewhere), then add the water, and that will give you the total weight for the rice with the water. Depending on how much you make, then you divide by the desired serving number. Given that there may be some evaporation, it may weigh a tiny bit less once the water is absorbed. BTW, I make mine in bulk and store in the fridge. Cold rice is a resistant starch and can be good for your gut.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Depending on your scale, you *could* put your pan on the scale and zero it out, add the rice (mark the grams raw somewhere), then add the water, and that will give you the total weight for the rice with the water. Depending on how much you make, then you divide by the desired serving number. Given that there may be some evaporation, it may weigh a tiny bit less once the water is absorbed. BTW, I make mine in bulk and store in the fridge. Cold rice is a resistant starch and can be good for your gut.

Thanks, Ill try doing that next time. Do you weigh the rice after it made when you make it in bulks.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    1 cup serves 4 and only just in my house. It also depends if you are having a spoonful of rice on the side of your plate or a bed of rice for a curry etc

Thanks, I just starting to eat rice and was confused at first. Ill start doing that and make them in servings
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    I weigh my rice uncooked in a measuring cup for the water bit, but a serving of rice is around 1/4 cup; however I would say cook 1/2 cup minimum so the rice doesn’t burn or undercook.