Photos...urghhh

Options
mazmataz
mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
edited October 2017 in Motivation and Support
So I've been doing okay with my weight loss - nearly 30lbs down from a year ago. I live in the southern hemisphere so summer is just around the corner and I've been looking forward to hitting the beach with less of a beached-whale vibe this year.

Last night was our first proper summer night, so everyone rocks up at the beach after work with some beers, food and good times. I'm loving it and my friend takes an impromptu photo of my on my phone as the sun is setting behind behind me. I'm not in beach gear or anything, just a skirt, leggings and a t-shirt - but feeling very chilled and fairly confident.

And then I look at the photo - it's hideous. My stomach which I was convinced was looking much flatter these days, looks anything but as I'm sat cross-legged on the ground. My arms in my capped sleeve fitted t-shirt look huge than ever and my face is doing a very good impression of a beach ball!

I so look forward to the day when I can have a photo taking without worrying about this sh^t - it's a real confidence blow :-(

Anyone else at war with the camera??

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I am. Also about 30 lb down and in the mirror I see some definite improvement. The photos, tho, tell me I must be lying to myself when I look in the mirror and I still look as hideous as I felt I looked 30 pounds ago.

I dunno. I empathize but have no good advice- I’m in same pickle.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just today I snapped a picture of a friend. It turned out amazing, she seriously looks great in it. When I showed her she started pointing out her flaws, none of which I saw, and said she really didn't like the picture. I looked at her stunned, I still think it is a remarkable picture.

Moral: we are hardest on ourselves and we see our flaws before our beauty. I hope you are able to change that mindset and see your beauty way before your flaws.
  • drrndn1
    drrndn1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After losing a little more you will find the photographs your best friend take a photo with every milestone I tend to do it every 7 pounds lost or so and you WILL see an improvement. Ive lost 53 pounds in 10 months with MFP and like you the initial photos were not asthetically pleasing! They will get better keep going! besides which a substantial weight loss likes yours is to be commended well done and don't be so hard on yourself!
  • gfish219
    gfish219 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am so there with you! My face is round and shows weight gain very easily! I recently gained about 15 lbs and can definitely see it. When I was on vacation recently my family kept taking pictures of me during the fun. If I was curious enough to check the photo it would put me in a bad mood for a long time. It’s so stupid because it shouldn’t matter but it can still ruin my day :(.
  • Mermaidtriathlete
    Mermaidtriathlete Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me! I wasn't that far into my journey and we went to a family dinner. I put on a dress that I was too fat to wear before and I was feeling really good about myself. I was eating healthier, I had lost inches, I was believing in myself. I was eager to be in the family picture and I was horrified at how I looked. I could see every dimple of cellulite on my arms! Terrible! My stomach was huge.

I battle depression and my psychologist was helping me overcome this road block. She said that pictures are only two dimensional and we are three dimensional. It's not a true representation of who we are. It made me feel better! It's true. Lighting, angle, position all impact how we look in front of a camera. I do agree that pictures can be very motivating and once I had lost weight several years ago, I ran to the camera and not from it.

• MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it may be posture, lighting, etc. at least that’s what I tell myself every time a see a pic of me
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This photo is just a 'Strpping stone'.
    Think of yourself as Work in progress

You have done remarkably well.
    Keep talking photos and feel confident.
    I also live in the Southern Hemisphere.
    (An Aussie girl) :D

This is the first summer, since childhood, my thighs won't rub together, sweat and chafe.
    Just keep pushing girl.
    You are beautiful and doing a great job. :smile: