lemon chicken

Options
hi,

i'm thinking of making lemon chicken bites either with garlic, black pepper, ginger etc. this weekend.

the problem is all the recipes i've looked up all call for the chicken to be coated in flour, and i'd rather skip this as in previous experiences it makes the dish a bit pasty.

all ideas are welcome, i'm really looking for something simple with a bit of sauce to serve over rice, perhaps with an overnight marinade,

thanks.

Replies

• laurenmjenkin
    laurenmjenkin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try: Chinese but u need the flour on the chicken for the sauce, 315 cal. Chicken: Combine 1 egg white, 2 tsp cornflour, 1/4 tsp ginger grated, salt, to 500g/1Lb chicken breast cut into strips, fridge 30 mins. Prepare lemon sauce: 2 tsp cornflour combined with 2 tbsp water to a paste. Have ready 11/2 tbsp caster sugar, plus mix 2 tbsp lemon juice, 3/4C chicken stock, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1tsp dry sherry. To cook: (I use wok but heavy pan is ok), 3 tbsp oil, canola vegetable grape not olive, let it smoke very lightly, add chicken discarding marinade, stir fry until just cooked not browned, remove keep warm. Add all the lemon stuff, stir boil a min add chicken back coating it. I eat this with rice, braised Asian greens...... hope it works for u!
  • laurenmjenkin
    laurenmjenkin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn’t need to tell u to beat the egg white? U have to beat it soz fork will do, just a bit of a foam
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    thanks for your idea, i'll look into that.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You can use cornstarch. When I used to make orange chicken I would use orange juice as part of the base add a little bit of soy ginger red pepper flake and cornstarch to thicken it. You can coat the chicken with corn starch if you don’t want to use flour.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would marinate the chicken, then season it directly and toss on my foreman grill.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    These ideas are fantastic.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    hi,

i'm thinking of making lemon chicken bites either with garlic, black pepper, ginger etc. this weekend.

the problem is all the recipes i've looked up all call for the chicken to be coated in flour, and i'd rather skip this as in previous experiences it makes the dish a bit pasty.

all ideas are welcome, i'm really looking for something simple with a bit of sauce to serve over rice, perhaps with an overnight marinade,

thanks.

Just skip it. The sauce will still cling into the meat if you make it a bit thicker or use some of the sauce as a dipping side.

This. I've made chicken piccata with unfloured chicken breast and it was still very well received. Use a stock with plenty of gelatin in it and let it reduce quite a bit to give the sauce a nice thick and clingy viscosity. Mounting the sauce with a tablespoon or two of butter doesn't hurt either (and it only adds a couple of hundred calories to the entire dish).
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I saw this on the home feed out of the corner of my eye and my mind mixed it with the stupid "are you sexier than the person above you" So I thought this read "Are you sexier than Lemon Chicken?" The answer to that is yes.......yes I am.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the home feed out of the corner of my eye and my mind mixed it with the stupid "are you sexier than the person above you" So I thought this read "Are you sexier than Lemon Chicken?" The answer to that is yes.......yes I do.

The answer to "Are you sexier than Lemon Chicken?" is "Yes I do"?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I saw this on the home feed out of the corner of my eye and my mind mixed it with the stupid "are you sexier than the person above you" So I thought this read "Are you sexier than Lemon Chicken?" The answer to that is yes.......yes I do.

The answer to "Are you sexier than Lemon Chicken?" is "Yes I do"?

Damn lol in my mind it was "Do you think you are sexier than lemon chicken?" That's where the yes I do would come in. Now I'm thinking "Are you less intelligent than lemon chicken?" My answer there is Yes.........Yes I am.

Guess I'll go fix that

• geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    perhaps you can start an "are you sexier than lemon chicken?" thread.... and see what happens.

lol!!!!