How often do you weigh in?

Options
I'm new to this. Been struggling with weight for four years now, and I've always told myself I'd change but always gave up. I love that I've lost 12 pounds already (In about two weeks, which doesn't sund healthy, however I used to eat terriblyso this is a drastic change), its so inspiring and motivational. My question to you all, is how often do you weigh in? I don't want to become obsessive over it. Also doing it too often makes the progress seem like less than it truly is. How often do you weigh in? Weekly? Two weeks? I feel like if i wait too long between weigh ins, i may slack off and be upset with the outcome. Any input?

Thanks all, and good luck :)

Ps, feel free to add me! supergeorge08@yahoo.com

Replies

• heatherbarron84
    Options
    I weigh every other day.
  • danidav88
    Options
    Hi

I understand what you mean!! I try and weigh in every monday but the temptation to weigh daily is unreal but I dont think it helps me. As it is never a true weight, so i try to do it at the same time every monday. hope this helps x
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i weigh-in every tuesday and sat mornings after bathroom use!
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh myself every morning just because it helps me stay on track, but Friday mornings are my official weigh ins when I update MFP.
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    I am trying really hard to only weigh in once a week. The temptation to hop on the scales every day is dreadful but this is my second week of only weighing in on a monday morning and the feel good factor when I do is great.
  • Muthaof4
    Options
    I officially weigh myself every Friday, first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything. I don't think it really matters what day you pick, it just probably helps to keep the same day and time each week for the purpose of continuity.
  • JackOsu
    JackOsu Posts: 3
    Options
    Every morning!
  • Kryssy7786
    Options
    I try not to go to the scale more then once a month. I look at it this way if my pants start to fall off im doing good.. I also use pics a lot. I'll take a pic of myself on the first week of the month and then again the last week of the month. I put them up in my bedroom and look at them every morning it makes me feel accomplished! Good Luck
  • supergeorge08
    supergeorge08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I actually started to do the photo thing, however i just keep them on my phone to compare to the next picture. Maybe once I'm proud of my overall weighloss I'll post them in my room! lol
  • lucythe
    lucythe Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm new to mfp as well, joined in July. I used to weigh myself every day, but I was giving that scale so much power over my mood. Even if I knew I was on track with my food and exercise, if the scale didn't go down or if it stayed the same for a while, I felt so defeated and ready to quit. I've taken a hiatus from the scale and I feel so much better. I know that I'm tracking my food, I'm exercising daily and I can't do more than that. I feel great, my clothes fit better and I'm so much happier. I'm going to aim for weighing in once a month. I'll keep you posted.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I take a free day on Sundays, which gives me a Monday morning weigh in of about +3lbs. I like to watch it drop throughout the week. All of my days are 1-2 pounds less than they were 7 days ago.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to only weigh once a week but since I started measuring myself & taking pictures I haven't really been as concerned with the number. I know that as long as I keep on track it will go down even if it's not as fast as I would like.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have done this weight loss thing several times (but this is my first time with MFP ) and I have found I stay on track if I weigh myself everyday AND write it down. I know it's normal for your weight to bounce around a lot, that's why I don't like weighing in once a week - what if it happens to be up on the day you step on the scale? You (I) might get frustrated and give up. Weighing everyday helps me see a pattern and know what to expect. I also set a goal of 5 lbs per month to be reached by a certain date
    (I.e. the last day of the month), this works as great motivation and is not setting impossible goals that will frustrate me.
    I also don't enter a weight change in MFP unless it is a new low.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday but since it is not something that has an impact on my mood or my motivation, it is ok. For exemple this morning I was up 0.4 pound but i know it's the result of my strenght training yesterday.
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started working out June 12th and then saw the doctor July 12th where I was weighed. I don't know the number. I have an idea though. I now just check when I want to. At this point, I have so much to lose that I want to focus on just the healthy lifestyle. I will get more focused on weighing in regularly when i lose 25lbs.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    One a week, Wednesday mornings.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It does not impact my mood - it keeps me focused.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm naughty and weigh myself twice a day. In the morning after I tinkle and before I go to bed at night. The reason I weigh myself at night is because I like to see how much weight I lost sleeping. :p I know that it's not accurate and really doesn't mean anything at all but I like to do it. And I weigh myself every morning because it keeps me on track.