Roller Skating weight limits?

Options
Maybe this has been asked and I didn't dig deep enough to find it, but I'm gonna ask anyway: is there a weight limit to being able to roller skate?
I'm talking about the quads (two in front, 2 in back) because I will snap my ankles on the blades, I can already see it.
It's always looked interesting to me and I'm struggling to find activities that sound/are fun (going to the gym happens maybe once a month IF that bc I hate it) and are beginner friendly.
So, am I out of luck until I lose another 100+/- lbs?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe find something you feel more comfortable with? Walking, biking, swimming.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How much di you weigh? I don't see a problem if you know how ro skate. I was skating through my heaviest with no issues, hockey skates or inline though. But if you are just learning, then be prepared that you will fall, many times and sometimes really awkwardly and it will hurt. You can wear pads to protect yourself, i would highly recommend that if you are the beginner. But skating isso much fun, i love it. Good luck.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So I played roller derby and skate 2-3 times a week currently for fitness. Ive seen women of all sizes on quads no problem. The big kicker will be what it is made of. The larger ladies in Roller Derby tend to stay away from Nylon plates because they wear down easier and have higher chance of breakage. that being said the people using these skates are skating on them HARD, if you are just street skating I doubt they would wear down quickly. But you may want aluminum plates anyways.
    If you're new to skating be sure to wear knee, elbow, and wrist pads. I've seen a lot of newer skaters take trips to the emergency room because they werent being safe.

Roller skating is a FANTASTIC workout. It's easy on the knees while still being an intense cardio burn!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I also play roller derby! Just rolling around on quads at a rink will be a fun and awesome workout, and when you get steady you can work on skills and footwork, it never gets old.

Regarding the nylon plates, it's true they're not great for derby but the skinny cheap metal ones break too. If you're just rink skating I think go with affordable and comfortable first and then once you've been at it a while you'll know and learn a bit more about what you want. If you get stock quad skates that are on the cheap side, the wheels will be the problem. You can spend $150 on a pair of skates that will be ok to tool around in, but do consider dropping another $100 on decent wheels.

Definitely wear pads. We're not kids any more, a sprained wrist or worse is a second away at any given time and not worth it.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Another derby player here! I started quad skating again at around 250lbs, and there are plenty of players a lot bigger than me in my area.

Don't forget... Safety is sexy! At a bare minimum, please wear wrist guards. The one time I didn't wear them, I fell backwards, caught myself at a weird angle and broke my wrist.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hi derby people!