Cabbage

Options
I am overall a pretty good cook. My problem is finding ingredients that i can stand. Had a lapse after eatong some mashed cauliflower......i cant do this....i just want a burger or fried chicken.

I like cabbage though, so maybe i can work with that. What are your ideas and recipes with cabbage?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Add to stir fry, salads. Cabbage rolls.
    I'm not fond of cabbage soup but it is an option.
    Look on pinterest to get more cabbage ideas.
  • ranmalih
    ranmalih Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Baked cabbage. Shred the cabbage, spread on a baking tray with some diced bell pepper, add lime and vinegar (spices optional) to taste. Bake at around 220C for 10min, toss and bake for another 10min or until edges are just looking charred.
    Works great as an easy side dish.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231828/jamaican-cabbage/

I don't add sugar or vinegar. I just love stir fried cabbage and carrot, I'll add onion and pepper if I have it.

As for the "just want a burger or fried chicken" ... is there any way you can fit something like that into your calories for the day? Tonight I'm going to an event with cocktails and passed hor d'oeuvres and I'm getting in a long run beforehand to mitigate the damage (and keeping my calories beforehand in the 500 range). Sometimes it's worth working harder to 'earn' a treat. Note: I would not advocate undereating a balanced diet to eat cocktails every day.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use shredded cabbage in fried rice. So good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of cabbage. Roasted cabbage (cut in slices or wedges, season, and maybe brush a little bit of oil), braised cabbage (chopped or in wedges, cooked slowly in broth), and raw shredded cabbage are my favorites.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like it shredded with mashed up avocado. It’s a good topping for grilled fish tacos this way also.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Cabbage is so versatile. There are hundreds of cabbage slaw recipes. It's great roasted or grilled (slice it thick, brush with a little oil, season). It's also good simply sauteed on the stove top, either plain as a side dish or with sausage. It's great in stir fry and soups. Beef and cabbage soup is a delicious healthy comfort food. You can stuff it with all kind of things for cabbage rolls.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I love cabbage though I'm not sure how eating cabbage will satisfy your urge for a burger or fried chicken?

That said, stuffed cabbage is the answer. It's not a diet dish by any means but it's easy to control the portions so you don't overindulge.

The other alternative is to just eat a burger or fried chicken. Eat anything you want as long as you stay within your targets.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Cabbage with Keilbasa: cut cabbage and throw into crock pot, throw in onion, brown keilbasa and add it to the crockpot, fry up 1 piece of bacon and add it to the crockpot with the grease, makes like 20 260 calorie servings

Cabbage with beans and tomatos: boil cabbage, sautee great norther beans and onions and garlic, combine with crushed tomatoes/ marinia sauce, serve with rice.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My family loves the Filipino dish pancit bihon. The calories aren't bad and you can add your choice of veggies and protein. You could even leave out the rice noodles. I've never had anyone turn this down, even toddlers and picky adults!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd do a stir fry. Use shredded cabbage where they call for bok choy. Add some crispy chicken.

cabbage-stir-fry-8.jpg
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage! Cabbage "steaks", cabbage and mayo, sauteed cabbage (with soy sauce is an added bonus), boiled cabbage, cabbage rolls, cabbage roll casserole....yeah, there aren't many forms of cabbage I don't eat.

On the mashed cauliflower...if you cook it, then bake it in the oven with spices, cheese, bacon bits like a twice baked potato....it's pretty amazing. Riced cauliflower is good mixed with pizza sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese.

A good burger is always tasty! If you want to cut the calories, you can always eat it without the bun and/or use a leaner cut of beef.
  • crauschenberg
    crauschenberg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The brain works in funny ways. When i eat certain things i get the feeling 'i just cant eat anymore healthy food' and go back to the old comfort foods. Eating uealthy in general doesnt do this, just eating healthy goof that i dont like at all. I like cabbage, so finding more recipes i like i hope will reduce how often i get burnt put.

As far as working them in, i have been doing that for the most part. I even stayed under my caloroe goals that specific day, but not my carb goals causing a pretty big blood sugar spike.

Some of these sound amazing and i cant wait to try them. Thank you all!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Cabbage, onions and ground beef
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Have a burger or fried chicken (skinless, if you need to keep the calories down), with the cole slaw of your choice on the side. Go for a vinegar-based dressing on the slaw, instead of mayo-based, if you want to keep it lower calorie.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I make "eggroll in a bowl" with my cabbage.

Chopped cabbage (or pre-chopped coleslaw mix), ground turkey, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook the meat first with some sesame oil and soy sauce, then add the cabbage and other ingredients. Fry until the cabbage is soft.

You can also make a vinegar based coleslaw, cabbage rolls, or cabbage steaks.

I love the egg roll idea! They are one of my cravings.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Cabbage with Keilbasa: cut cabbage and throw into crock pot, throw in onion, brown keilbasa and add it to the crockpot, fry up 1 piece of bacon and add it to the crockpot with the grease, makes like 20 260 calorie servings
    Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to try it!
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Add to stir fry, salads. Cabbage rolls.
    I'm not fond of cabbage soup but it is an option.
    Look on pinterest to get more cabbage ideas.

I absolutely love cabbage in soup! As well as in stir fry, and salads.cabbage rolls are too much work-- unless you've got an easy recipe?