How long did it take you to lose?

Options
I lost weight several years ago and maintained close to that number for about 3-4 years. Then I started on the increase about a year to a year and a half ago. I let myself gain about 15 pounds.

Now I am working to try to get those ~15 pounds off, and it seems to be going soooo slow this time. I have lost 2.8 pounds in the last 4 weeks (dropped 2.6 the first week, gained some the second, then dropped for weeks three and four).

I know that slow and steady is good when it comes to weight loss. But it can feel discouraging at times when it seems to be coming off so slowly (from my perspective).

I would like to know how long it took you to lose weight? Also, when you got to those last 15 pounds to lose, do you remember if it went slowly?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Last 15 lbs should be at a rate of about a half lb a week so yeah - slow.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I lost about 36 lbs. The first 12 or so came off in a couple of months, another 18 took about a year. That got me to my original goal. In the first 3-4 months of switching maintenance I lost the other 6 (or so). In maintenance I don't maintain a constant weight. It jumps around.

Edit: I should note that I chose to lose weight by eating at what I thought would be maintenance for my goal weight and didn't log my food, which probably caused slower loss than if I'd done it the way MFP wanted me to.
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I only have 20 to lose. But since my first 20 and my last 20 are the same 20, it gets discouraging because it comes off so slow. I’ve just bounced around the same 5-7 lbs for a long time. I am typically really good at delayed gratification, but not when it comes to my weight! Losing 20 lbs would make such a difference to me...my appearance, my confidence, etc. I’m not super short (5’5”) but I carry it all in my belly and thighs. Sigh...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    2.8/4 weeks = .7 lbs per week. Yeah, that's about what you'd expect for the last 15 lbs. To get a bigger weight loss per week, you would need to be more aggressive, which isn't recommended for the last few.

I just looked through my old MFP entry #s. The last 15 lbs took me 6 months, from 12/25/14 to 6/26/15. This time around, I hope to lose the last 15 in 3.5 months, we'll see. My goal weight is higher this time, so it should be easier.
  • queenofthedamned141072
    Options
    it has taken 15 weeks to loose 12kg ( about 26lb) I started at 84.5 kg last 3kg are proving hard to shift but im determined to get back to my pre office job weight of 4 years ago
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Would you set your goal to losing half a pound a week or a pound then?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Had my calories set to 1,480 from the start because it was easy to do. With 30 lbs to go, that meant over 1 lb loss per week. Maybe 1.5? I set this custom. When I put in 2 lbs it was too aggressive. When I put in 1 lb it was 1,550 or 1,600? I didn't need to finish my calories, so I dropped it down.

I'm 10 lbs down and it says 1 lb loss per week is 1,480, which is what I've been eating anyway. I'm going to stick to 1,480 until I'm feeling hunger at the end of the day. Then I'll probably bump it up 20-30 cals per day until I'm around .5 lbs/week. That will probably happen with the last 5-10 lbs.

For me, right now:
    • 2.0 lbs/week: 1,200 (this is the minimum MFP will put in- it's actually even lower)
    • 1.5 lbs/week: 1,230
    • 1.0 lbs/week: 1,480 Sweet spot, for now
    • 0.5 lbs/week: 1,730
    • 0.0 lbs/week: 1,980