Lost pounds but don't look like I have.

Options
Lost 60lbs; why does my belly still stick out like a watermelon on a bean poll?

Went from 230 to 180 and I still look like cray in the belly area; please help.

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    some more details about height, program would help but generally weight comes off people differently. I for example have massive hips, and weight comes off my stomach first.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Going to have to lose more. Apparently that's your trouble area. First to go on, last to fall off. Mine is my butt. Sucks. I'll deal though.
  • angiemb87
    angiemb87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I feel the same! I've lost 55 pounds I Still feel like I look exactly the same when I look at pictures!
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Were you lifting weights while losing weight? Have you ever lifted weights?
  • joeherbert48
    joeherbert48 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and maybe a half and my stomach has never made the move to get flatter. All my other extremeties have gotten smaller like my arms and legs and I have no butt. lol I'm 62 male maybe that's it. Worked so hard to lose these pounds and really got no results I was after :(
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 158, still have a huge belly (imo)
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Maybe start strength and weight training. Now that you've lost the weight it's probably time to start the tone up process! I'm kind of at that point as well. I've lost about 24lbs, I'm 5'5 but I still feel like my arms and stomach look the same (they don't). But they could definitely use some toning so I've begun working with weights a little more to encourage that muscle toning.
  • joeherbert48
    Options
    thanks for replies I guess I'll cope; 170 is my goal now at 1/2lb a week. Guess well see what i look like then but I don't think 10 more pounds is gonna make me look any better. Guess I need to eat more avacados :)
  • joeherbert48
    Options
    That's what I get I guess for marrying a cajun woman who cooked jumbalia a lot and I loved it. 60lbs too much :)
  • joeherbert48
    Options
    I would exercise and workout if I could but I have some kind of heart condition if I move or exertmyself I get a strange pain in my chest and back. No numbness in the left arm. Just pangs. I forget what it's called but it's not like a heart attack because the symptons are the same whenever it happens. If feels like I ran like 5 miles non-stop with someone stabbing me with a sharp item. Or that feeling of adrenilin rush when a cop is behind you and you think you did something wrong at the last light or stop sign. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    thanks for replies I guess I'll cope; 170 is my goal now at 1/2lb a week. Guess well see what i look like then but I don't think 10 more pounds is gonna make me look any better. Guess I need to eat more avacados :)

How is eating more avocados going to help you lose weight?

Eating in a calorie deficit causes weight loss. Avocados are pretty calorie-dense. Add MORE calories to your diet is not going to cause extra weight loss.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I would exercise and workout if I could but I have some kind of heart condition if I move or exertmyself I get a strange pain in my chest and back. No numbness in the left arm. Just pangs. I forget what it's called but it's not like a heart attack because the symptons are the same whenever it happens. If feels like I ran like 5 miles non-stop with someone stabbing me with a sharp item. Or that feeling of adrenilin rush when a cop is behind you and you think you did something wrong at the last light or stop sign. :)

Is your condition treatable, and are you on meds?

Go talk to your doctor and find out what exercises are possible with your heart condition.

You may be able to do yoga, seated exercise, walking, swimming, or light weights, if you start slow and gentle and build.

At our age getting in some exercise is really beneficial for both heart and lungs, and bone and muscle, you may just need a programme designed for your needs.

Meanwhile look at practicing good posture at all times- no slouching :).
    It can gently strengthen your abs and improve the look of your belly.

Cheers, h.
    Also over 60.
  • ProdigiousDigit
    ProdigiousDigit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and maybe a half and my stomach has never made the move to get flatter. All my other extremeties have gotten smaller like my arms and legs and I have no butt. lol I'm 62 male maybe that's it. Worked so hard to lose these pounds and really got no results I was after :(

You've probably added five years to your lifespan. That's nothing to sneeze at.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I still look huge no matter what I lose. Even at my goal weight I know I'll be gigantic. So I'm focusing on health rather than looks.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

How is eating more avocados going to help you lose weight?

Eating in a calorie deficit causes weight loss. Avocados are pretty calorie-dense. Add MORE calories to your diet is not going to cause extra weight loss.

OP clearly meant to say "Guess I need to eat more bananas".
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

One potential, and solvable, culprit is called rectus abdominus. It means separation (down the middle) of the two sides of your abdominal muscles. Mine resulted from pregnancy, but my FIL got it from lifting things that were too heavy for him. It can easily make a person look pregnant. Physical therapy can close the gap over time, and the exercise I used was incredibly easy.

A medical professional should officially diagnose it, but there a couple of ways for you to preliminarily check for yourself. When you lay on your back and basically do a partial crunch, if there's a ridge that pokes out up and down the center of your gut, it's a strong indicator. Also while in the same position, and while doing that crunch, poke into the spot up and down the middle where the muscles meet. You should not be able to dig your fingers in between them.
  • joeherbert48
    Options
    I still look huge no matter what I lose. Even at my goal weight I know I'll be gigantic. So I'm focusing on health rather than looks.

My dr. told me to eat avacados AND banana's which I have been doing and of course the weight is falling off but not the pooching stomach. Another dr. said it was some kind of hernia, have my guts fallen out of their lining? I love avacados with lemon. Something about an anti something that eats away fat in them. All this scientific stuff is confusing as hell, but, I guess it gets the job done.

Diet and calories is not the problem. I been putting down just about anything I want to eat. The weight is coming off just not in the stomach area. Looks as I said; like a watermelon on a bean poll. :) I can put my hands in a circle around my thigh touching my fingers from each hand around them; thas how skinny I am.
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Have anywhere you can go to access a pool? Might help get back into the swing of things with excercise
  • joeherbert48
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »

Have anywhere you can go to access a pool? Might help get back into the swing of things with excercise

Seriously; any kind of exertion starts up this pain in my chest. I can walk to the bathroom and it happens. Believe me I want to do situps to try to flatten my stomach but the pain just won't let me do anything but sit in this chair all day; everyday till I die probably.