To get the sleeve surgery or not?

I am scheduled to have it in February. I need to lose a minimum of 100 pounds. I am 56 years old 5 feet tall and weigh 242 lbs. Since I started my pre surgery weight loss program I have lost 22 pounds in 60 days. For the first time in my life I'm actually eating correct and excercising every day. I think I can do this myself possibly. I would really like to hear some honest feedback on the good and bad about the surgery.

Replies

• LisaM242
    LisaM242 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I don't know anything about the surgery, but Hurray for you, losing 22 pounds in 60 days!!
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    LisaM242 wrote: »
    I am scheduled to have it in February. I need to lose a minimum of 100 pounds. I am 56 years old 5 feet tall and weigh 242 lbs. Since I started my pre surgery weight loss program I have lost 22 pounds in 60 days. For the first time in my life I'm actually eating correct and excercising every day. I think I can do this myself possibly. I would really like to hear some honest feedback on the good and bad about the surgery.

i'd say you are doing great already without the surgery. my mom got the gastric band a while ago. i think this is the same thing? she had problems with it, she threw up almost everything she ate except for things like cake and eventually had some esophagus disturbance with it and had to have it removed. i wouldn't suggest it personally unless your weight loss stalls and you give up on trying to do it yourself.
  • gita9999
    gita9999 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Lisa, lovely to read that you're on your way to better health. IMO surgery is a life changing option for people who are facing other issues with their health such as diabetes or inability to exercise. Surgery has potential complications though, and they're not minor complications either from what I've heard. In my immediate experience, I have a scrapbooking friend who had surgery (banding) and didn't have any issues from the surgery. The procedure was the scariest experience in her life so not to make light of it. She lost a lot of weight but still has a long way to go. She listened to her doctor though and went ahead with it despite her fears.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    If you keep losing as you have been (hopefully!) maybe they would advise that you not have the surgery in February. Hypothetically would lose 60 lbs. by then. Even if you lose 50, that means only 50 left to go, and do they perform the surgery on people with only 50 lbs. to lose??
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Eating just a cup of food for a meal would be a deterrant for me for sure! I've never considered this surgery, and I still have 78 pounds to go, but after that description it really needs to be a last resort. I hope everything goes well for you daveyboy with your health. I can understand why you did it because of the MS and diabetes. Thank you for writing your experience.

• FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    I wouldn't go down that road. There are people on MFP who had to lose a lot more and still managed without surgery. For some it is necessary, for others it isn't. I have to lose a total of 94lbs - not for one second would I consider surgery due to the potential complications during and afterwards. I've lost 34lbs so far and what I can tell you is that it is a complete lifestyle change. You won't successfully keep the weight off if you don't change your habits FOREVER. This diet isn't a temporary thing that will melt the weight away so that you can go back to old habits - it's about finding moderation in what and how much you eat. If you don't find that balance then weight loss will not be permanent.

I wish you all the best and hope you find a healthy balance with food so that you don't have to resort to surgery which will restrict your choices and social events. You CAN lose this weight on your own if you use the right tools and the right mindset. Focus on long term goals - such as a healthy life.
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    I have several family members who have had sleeve and would do it again in a heartbeat. All of them lost weight but most are still heavy and struggle with their weight because diet and exercise is still key with or without the surgery.
    The post surgery diet is pretty draconian.

I went in for the consults and second opinions and once I started doing the recommended pre-surgery diet. (Needs to be done for 4 months before insurance will cover the procedure) I finally started losing weight with that particular diet and now feel that I can do it without the surgery. My cousin also decided to eschew the sleeve and has lost 100lbs although she still has a lot more to lose.

The plus with the sleeve is it eliminates stomach hunger and it makes it possible to get full with smaller portions
    The minus is that it does nothing for head/emotional hunger and high-calorie easy to digest food like ice cream can cause you to gain weight post-surgery. Other minuses including not being able to take ibuprofen, heartburn, reflux and gastric pain. I already have alot of gastric issues and decided cutting my stomach was not a good idea.

Either way you have to follow the diet and watch portion control for a lifetime in order to lose the weight and keep it off.

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    I think you're doing a fantastic job so far. Like you said, maybe keep the surgery on the table for a couple more months while you see how you're doing. In the meantime, keep up the calorie counting and see what progress you make. I don't think 100 lbs is so much weight to have to lose that I'd resort to surgery. Maybe 300+ to lose seems more like surgery level to me. Now, I don't think 100 lbs will be in any way quick or easy, but it is absolutely doable and probably won't take much longer than 1-2 years.

I, myself, would not have surgery. That's not because I think it's an easy way out...if there were an easy way, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's because I've been close to 6 people who have had weight loss surgery. Five of them have regained close to all of their weight. One never lost much weight in the first place. The one who hasn't regained goes to Weight Watchers weekly and exercises daily while following a very strict eating plan. She still has a lot of difficulties from her surgery and is often incapacitated. I can't help thinking if she'd started following WW and working with her trainer before the surgery, she'd be in the same place she is now without the misery of dumping.

Three of them became alcoholics. Two of those are recovering. I guess the surgery changes something about the way your body metabolizes alcohol...I'm not sure of the details, just that their weight loss surgery was a major contributor to the alcoholism.

All of them really seem to suffer from the lifestyle effects of the surgery. I just wouldn't want to subject myself to something like that.

On the other hand, I've read a lot of online posts from people who are very happy they had surgery, I just haven't met any of them in person.
  • LisaM242
    LisaM242 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for the feedback it really helps
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I think you are making the right decision to try to make a lifestyle change on your own while keeping the surgery in your back pocket. You know yourself. You know if you can stick with it or not. It honestly sounds like you are doing great. If you don't have any life threatening illnesses, you have some time to make a decision.

My husband had gastric bypass done about 10 years ago. He was unwilling to exercise or drastically change his eating habits and had life threatening sleep apnea. It was the right decision for him and he lost 100lbs curing his medical issues. However, he is still obese. He knows how to get around it. He eats WAY more than he should and throws up at almost every meal. It has prevented him from regaining drastic amounts, but it does nothing to address the psychological issues and habits causing the weight gain in the first place as others have stated.

Don't be ashamed no matter what you decide. It's your life and your health. You have to do what you think will be best for you.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    I was in your shoes about a year ago. I was considering getting the sleeve, saw a surgeon, was sent to a therapist and a nutritionist, and went to meetings for post surgery patients.

The thing that helped me most was the low carb diet the nutritionist recommended. I'd never tried low carb before, and was astonished by what it did for my mindset. My cravings vanished and eating a proper amount of protein and fat kept me from wanting to binge all the time as I use to do. It was like the magic diet pill I'd always wished for.

Somewhere along the way, I realized that I would always find it a challenge to consistently eat properly, and the surgery would not change that for me. The surgery would complicate my life more than it would help me. I would have to give up a cup of coffee with breakfast. I would have to carry a water bottle around with me forever. Every hour, every day forever. NO.

It's funny what things scare us the most! Giving up sugar and white flour? Hard but do-able. Carrying around a water bottle? Just NO!

I've lost 70 pounds and will lose the next 40 by Christmas 2018! I'm sticking with my low carb program and I'm determined to never give up hope that I can heal from my disordered past. When doubts come, I push them away, breathe deeply and say "All will be well."

I have a deep respect for those who have gone through the surgery. They are warriors! I hope you will get some clarity on what is right for you. Take all the time you need. The doctor will most likely postpone a few months if you need. The approval for surgery is based on your starting weight.