Co-worker asked if I'm pregnant... I'm not

Options
The other day an older lady at work asked if I'm pregnant. I'm not. In fact I'm gay so it isn't even possible.

I have gained a bit since my wedding last year and have been trying so hard the past month to get back to a regular fitness schedule.

This really took all the wind out of my sail. I can't stop thinking about it and staring in the mirror. How can I move past this? I'm just so upset now.

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Prove her wrong, make her eat her words. Put it as one of your goals to make not just her but the rest of them also to notice just how fab you are looking.

Don't let one comment take over your life and journey. You are worth so much more than that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me in the past. I laughed but I did get rid of that shirt! Shake it off, carry on.
  • Cynthia1066
    Cynthia1066 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me, and frankly I think at least one person knew very well I was not pregnant... It was just mean. But agree with poster above: shrug it off.
  • amyjoan1
    amyjoan1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A lady once asked me when I was due and she failed to notice my one month old right next to me. When I said no I actually just had the baby , she apologized many times. Of course I felt horrible but it was more of a motivator! That's why I NEVER ask a woman unless she tells me!
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to get asked this all the time. My husbands mother was discussing whether or not I was pregnant or just fat during my wedding ceremony -.- I almost paused things just so I could tell her to stfu or gtfo.

Just gotta let it roll off and keep moving forward. Or you can enjoy loudly replying to people "no, I'm just fat, but thank you for pointing it out."
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Been there and it sucks. I try to not let it get to me but it still made me very uncomfortable.

But I also remind myself that my size 2, looks fantastic sister in law has also been asked if she’s expecting. She says she gets bloated sometimes after eating & that’s when she was asked.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As well as everything else that comes with being overweight, it's also a weapon used by others to shame. The shame is theirs not yours. I try hard to remember that. Keep going. *Kitten 'em.*
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Before I lost weight, I was asked this a few times...by people who I really feel were hopeful and would have been happy if the answer had been yes. My response...pat my belly and say, "nah, just fat" or "yep...such a nice food baby here!"

It was the kickstart I needed to start losing, tho!
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    First question is, how is your posture? Sometimes a simple posture check will take off 10 pounds. Slouching will definitely make the abdominal area appear larger and rounder. So be sure to stand up nice and straight. Next question is, why did I say, "First question" when I did not have a second question? The answer is, I do not know.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Been asked as well when there were a few people in my office who were (I just had my son a few months prior) and she was like oh, you look so cute since your pregnant with another...haha nope just fat LMAO. And from there I got down to close pre-preggo weight and now I'm trying to get past that. Just hear it, and throw it away in the wind, use it as motivation if that works for you.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    sorry that it happened to you. i agree with the above don't let it get you down.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker who would ask me this all the time just to be mean. I say ignore it. If they ask again, just don't even engage with them. Act like you didn't hear them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • lethalbanana
    lethalbanana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support everyone! It helps so much to know it happens a lot and it isn't such a big deal.

I did want to say I don't think she meant to insult me at all. She seems genuinely excited for me.

Also I obviously know gay women can get pregnant. I only mentioned it as showing she doesn't really know me. And that I know 100% that I'm not etc.

It was just really bad timing because I am in the midst of soul searching/personal crisis in regards to family planning. It has just been an emotional few days is all.

Thank you!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It was these comments that hurt me the most, and also these comments that got me so revved up that kick started me to get where I am today!
    You do it for you, but you show her wrong in the process!
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Someone said that to my freind. Her response that it is a compliment since it means she is so young and fertile ..
    you look great and soon you will look even better!